E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The "hold down accelerator for 25s" trick for smoother shift

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='425694' date='May 17 2007, 09:29 PM
Well was at bmw for service today and was flipping through the 07 5 series book they had and definetly confirmed the tranny does indeed adjust to your driving style-I know everyone knew this but never saw it in writing so makes me even more sure this reset obviously makes a huge idff
If you look at page 4 of the Steptronic document in the technical gallery here, you'll see more details on this feature:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?automodule...si&img=2002
Old 05-18-2007, 09:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

One thing I find confusing about this transmission and the trick described here is this statement in the PDF:

"The driver-type adaptation is restarted each time the vehicle pulls away from a standstill."

This implies to me that any "learming" is un-learned when you come to a full stop. But I suspect there is more to it than they are telling us. I think there is probably some other adaptive logic that gets stored, possibly related to this:

"Overlap control
Overlap control provides gentle shift characteristics as follows: With overlap control, several multi-plate clutches are in
use at the same time. Here, pressure is reduced in the active multi-plate clutch and at the same time built up in the
clutch that is about to be activated. The reduction and build-up of pressure is maintained until a synchronised speed is
reached. At this point, the hydraulic pressure for the multi-plate clutch to be activated can be built up completely.
Overlap control is active for all gearshifts from 1st to 6th gear and from 6th to 1st gear."

I also suspect that this is the problem area for the infamous Steptronic Slam. So maybe this trick resets some learned stored values related to the overlap control. I tried the trick, and I am not totally convinced I noticed any change, but then I am not convinced that something isn't a bit different either.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Titanium Silver/Black, 6-Sp Steptronic, Sport Package, HD Radio, Sirius, Premium Sound, GPS Nav, Cold Pkg, cell phone cradle, iPod through the AUX port 1976 Datsun 280Z, Charcoal/Black, 5-Sp Manual, A/C, American Mags, CD, Tom Tom 930 GPS (works better than the BMW!) and the rest is pretty much stock

Has anyone with a 550i gotten good results with this technique? I see that everyone reporting improvement has a 530, 535 or 545. Don't know why mine would be any different but I tried it twice and follwed the instructions religiously, got no tranny noises and the shift patterns during a 120 mile trip down country roads today were as always. I did pass two pickups towing boats and got it to 105 going past the second one, though!
Old 05-19-2007, 09:39 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

i have a 530 and tried it today. i heard a noise after maybe about 15 seconds but as you said, my shift patterns were as always. didnt feel any difference.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Members

This trick definitly improves throttle response and helps hold the gears longer. In fact, I never thought I would ever enjoy driving in "D" mode.(The most noticeable difference, IMO) I just got my car back yesterday for a progman 25 update and now it's a complete different animal. This is what a true ultimate driving machine should feel like, smooth and fast gear changes without any hesitation anymore. I luv it!!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Auto, monaco blue met., black Dakota leather, burl walnut trim, sport package, active steering, Navi, HUD, cold weather package, comfort access, heated rear seats, rear sunshades, rear side air bags, rear deck spoiler, Logic 7 w/CD changer,
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by geokr1' post='426338' date='May 19 2007, 08:37 PM
Has anyone with a 550i gotten good results with this technique? I see that everyone reporting improvement has a 530, 535 or 545. Don't know why mine would be any different but I tried it twice and follwed the instructions religiously, got no tranny noises and the shift patterns during a 120 mile trip down country roads today were as always. I did pass two pickups towing boats and got it to 105 going past the second one, though!
I did it a few days ago on my '07 550i. Heard no noise, but it sure did make a difference. I didn't have a transmission slam before, but hesitation from stop and slow rolling. Hesitation is completely gone now, the car starts pulling the moment I step on the pedal, just like when it was brand new. Shift pattern seems to be that same like before.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:47 AM
Members

My Ride: On Order for European Delivery 550i SilverGrey Sports, Winter, Prem Pkg, Prem sound, NAV, HUD, comfort seats

Originally Posted by Felix' post='426642' date='May 20 2007, 09:36 PM
I did it a few days ago on my '07 550i. Heard no noise, but it sure did make a difference. I didn't have a transmission slam before, but hesitation from stop and slow rolling. Hesitation is completely gone now, the car starts pulling the moment I step on the pedal, just like when it was brand new. Shift pattern seems to be that same like before.

Might be placebo effect, but my 2006 550i feels better as well.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by daMANiack' post='425266' date='May 17 2007, 02:27 AM
Sometimes when starting off, the auto trans seemed to be a little laggy, like it didn't know what gear to start off in. After the reset, it seems much smoother and crisp.
I was having issues with my MANUAL 520d feeling laggy when starting off. From the start of ownership, I was typically just rolling forward and then putting the pedal down harder, e.g. pulling of with around 1500rpm and then building the revs / acceleration up. So I effectively trained the car to expect slower / relaxed starts - probably not the smartest move! Anyway, the past month or so its been really annoying me and I wanted quicker / more responsive response. When pulling away swiftly I found myself having to really push the pedal to get the revs up. On Sunday I tried the same process as described in this thread, and it immediately felt significantly more responsive when pulling off, i.e. the revs came up more willingly rather than me have to really push the pedal to get the revs up. The car simply feels more lively.

Naturally I am now wondering if its just me being a little here and just imaging this, or whether this holding down the accelerator trick also works on the MANUAL.

Anyone out there know if this could also apply to the MANUAL or give this a try and provide feedback??
Old 05-22-2007, 04:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='427088' date='May 22 2007, 12:12 PM
I was having issues with my MANUAL 520d feeling laggy when starting off. From the start of ownership, I was typically just rolling forward and then putting the pedal down harder, e.g. pulling of with around 1500rpm and then building the revs / acceleration up. So I effectively trained the car to expect slower / relaxed starts - probably not the smartest move! Anyway, the past month or so its been really annoying me and I wanted quicker / more responsive response. When pulling away swiftly I found myself having to really push the pedal to get the revs up. On Sunday I tried the same process as described in this thread, and it immediately felt significantly more responsive when pulling off, i.e. the revs came up more willingly rather than me have to really push the pedal to get the revs up. The car simply feels more lively.

Naturally I am now wondering if its just me being a little here and just imaging this, or whether this holding down the accelerator trick also works on the MANUAL.

Anyone out there know if this could also apply to the MANUAL or give this a try and provide feedback??
This already worked on the E46 manuals and doesn't do anything to your gearbox, but is the reset of the adaptive throttle. Throttle also gets accustomed to how you use it and actually only needs just over 10 seconds to be reset.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by olli_535d' post='427114' date='May 22 2007, 02:50 PM
This already worked on the E46 manuals and doesn't do anything to your gearbox, but is the reset of the adaptive throttle. Throttle also gets accustomed to how you use it and actually only needs just over 10 seconds to be reset.
Thanks for that info.

I was worried the men in white coats were going to come and take me away! I just tried it for fun and it worked - but this now explains why.

So that's another useful bit of info regarding adaptive throttle and improving overall responsiveness of the car - maybe also good for the FAQ section?

Quick Reply: The "hold down accelerator for 25s" trick for smoother shift