E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The "hold down accelerator for 25s" trick for smoother shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tachyon
Based on what we have all read in the BMW documentation, this shouldn't work - it smacks of snake oil. And after reading this post with all your experiences with it, I figured that there was some sort of mass-hysteria going on here ... soon to be featured on Oprah.

And since we are fortunate enough to have a lot of active and very knowledgeable participants here over the years, there is no way such a neat trick would go undetected. If one of the reputable veterans had announced this ... maybe we would buy it. But not from some young whipper-snapper newbie (who now seems to be banned from the Forum).

But then I tried it (yes, I was sober). Damn if it doesn't work. Color me convinced. I'm a monkey's uncle. This is a horse of a different color. I'm gob-smacked. Whatever ... it works.

Why?
So why am I banned???? Young whipper-snapper??? I AM 55 YEARS OLD!! But thanks...
Old 02-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by Prince Sky
So why am I banned???? Young whipper-snapper??? I AM 55 YEARS OLD!! But thanks...
The post you quoted is from 2007...
Old 02-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by ProMed
hahahahhahahhh
Old 02-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by Rudy
Although I've never used one, I tend to agree that it's not worth the money...

Did you ever see the following white paper?
Attachment 112902
Excellent! So instead I will spend my hard earned cash on one of these super hot performance improvers.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Nocrapplease

This has been around on various forums for many years, it's basically meant to reset the gearbox adaptions, some say it works others say it's a placebo effect, but the noise you are hearing is the air flaps moving, not the gearbox I think, to be honest I have done this myself many times on various cars, and does seem to help the changes, I 1st found out about it from an eBay £1.50 purchase some 6 years ago that consisted of a PDF with similar instructions, Audi have a similar method as well, but you can also ask your dealer when the car is in for a service to reset the engine and gearbox adaptions for you, most will Do this FOC
Old 02-05-2011, 07:19 AM
Members

LMAO. That why I just got promoted to Junior Member today!!!!! As with my car, I am learning my way around here too!!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by Nocrapplease
the noise you are hearing is the air flaps moving, not the gearbox
No crap please.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Nocrapplease

No crap please.
You serious!! Try reading up on self check, perhaps try doing it with the radio off, and the sound you hear is the self check nothing to do with the gearbox resetting, it does this if you just turn the ignition on without starting, or maybe if I press the indicator Stalk the tyre pressure will increase to save me doing it manually lol...
Old 02-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by Nocrapplease
You serious!! Try reading up on self check, perhaps try doing it with the radio off, and the sound you hear is the self check nothing to do with the gearbox resetting, it does this if you just turn the ignition on without starting, or maybe if I press the indicator Stalk the tyre pressure will increase to save me doing it manually lol...
who cares about the sound.. the bottom line is that it works... might be why there is 100,000 views on this thread..
Old 02-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Nocrapplease

Originally Posted by Sluis530
who cares about the sound.. the bottom line is that it works... might be why there is 100,000 views on this thread..
I care actually, don't want persons sitting in the car thinking the gearbox is being reset, and if you read my original reply you would see I agreed if done correctly it seems you work, So why point out the 100,000 views, stick to the post not personal attacks, do wonder sometimes why certain persons post on this forum, seem you can't have a simple observation without being shot down in flames, by person or persons that seem to think they know better than everyone else,

Quick Reply: The "hold down accelerator for 25s" trick for smoother shift