E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The "hold down accelerator for 25s" trick for smoother shift

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='423737' date='May 12 2007, 03:44 PM
Well I keep forgetting to post this but I forget what post I read it in so started a new one so nobody would miss this. If you have an auto and experience any "rough" shifts. For example for me it is when I would downshift from 3-->2 and ESPECIALLY from 2--> 1, it would feel like my car was a rocking chair.

Well then someone posted a tip and links to other threads on this in different forums I believe and was confirmed by a BMW tech who chimed in on the thread-and it WORKED well for me.

You put your key in/hit start ONCE so the electronics of the car come on but it is not started.

Then hold down the gas, past the downshift point to the floor for 25-30 seconds straight.

If you listen, at about 25s exactly you will hear some "noise" and that is the tranny "resetting" itself to factor specs

Like I am sure you know these cars are smart and the auto tranny is no exception. It adapts and learns your driving style-but the catch is, which is why I noticed an improvment. Apparently it "learns" for about 1000 miles and then kind of "locks" those settings in so-to-speak. So however you drove the car off the lot or whover drove it off the lot-it was really those first 1k that determined how the autobox shifted itself.

So anyway after I did that my downshifts were like 10 times smoother and overall shifting was much crisper and smooth.

Definetly try it out if you have an auto. It will just re-adapt to your current driving style-which is great since I totally drove different when I first got the car.
I did this process this morning, I did indeed hear a sound that you might think was the tranny resetting but it was the fuel pumps working away. I think that the trans is a simple thing, it responds to throttle position, vehicle speed & engine speed, sometimes we get caught at points where it might not be 100% 'sure' that it's in the right gear to engine/vehicle speed etc it then might feel bumpy, this is normal for a auto box, drive the car hard & the box then 'knows' what you want of it & it performs well. This is a box that trys to cater for all, its bound therefore to not do one thing that well? i've come from a manual 525d E60 & I wish that this 35 was a manual, it ain't. My approch is to use the manual box, the best of both worlds - This re-set thing doesn't work & the box doesn't adapt to its owner! it'd be worth 40k on its own if it could think for its driver, try using the box more effectivly.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d 218ps

2005 530d auto UK spec

Tried the procedure this morning, and the differences were immediate:

- smoother when moving off
- gearchanges now silky smooth
- no more rough downshifts, esp 2nd ----> 1st

Definitely heard the whirring noise after about 20-25 secs, didn't work the first time mind you. This is a similar to the procedure I normally use for my E46

Thanks.....
Old 10-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Members

It seems like doing this would flood the engine. Why doesn't it? Can you immediately crank and drive afterward?
Old 10-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by bimmerlust' post='684559' date='Oct 3 2008, 12:56 PM
It seems like doing this would flood the engine. Why doesn't it? Can you immediately crank and drive afterward?
No flooding -- everything's electronic now. In the old days, when the gas pedal was mechanically connected to a carburetor or other type of mechanical throttle valve, sure you might flood things...
Old 10-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='684897' date='Oct 3 2008, 10:31 PM
No flooding -- everything's electronic now. In the old days, when the gas pedal was mechanically connected to a carburetor or other type of mechanical throttle valve, sure you might flood things...
Yes, carburetors would actually pump a squirt of fuel into the manifold. Pumping the pedal would add more squirts.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:54 AM
Members

I dont' have a problem with rough shifting, but I do have a very annoying thing where you have a VERY distinct pause between pressing the gas and the car moving. I have observed that this does not occur when I'm starting from a stop in a straight line and can push harder. It's most noticeable when I'm starting from a stop and need to go slow. Therefore, I don't think it's a "pause" as much as "play" in the pedal. The other thing is that it shifts VERY quickly from 1st to 2nd when driving around at slow city speeds. It's like you have DELAAAAAAY, go, shift. Very annoying. Does this sort of symptom sound like it would be corrected by the 24 second reset procedure?
Old 10-04-2008, 05:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

Originally Posted by bimmerlust' post='685069' date='Oct 4 2008, 03:54 PM
I dont' have a problem with rough shifting, but I do have a very annoying thing where you have a VERY distinct pause between pressing the gas and the car moving. I have observed that this does not occur when I'm starting from a stop in a straight line and can push harder. It's most noticeable when I'm starting from a stop and need to go slow. Therefore, I don't think it's a "pause" as much as "play" in the pedal. The other thing is that it shifts VERY quickly from 1st to 2nd when driving around at slow city speeds. It's like you have DELAAAAAAY, go, shift. Very annoying. Does this sort of symptom sound like it would be corrected by the 24 second reset procedure?
You may get a little improvement in the initial throttle response but for true removal of the delay, buy a Sprint Booster, also known as a SMILE booster . Trust me, you will NOT regret it!
Old 10-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Members

I've had to do this relearn on my Duramax Truck 5 times now.... i am always to happy on the gas pedal when relearning.... recently installed a Suncoast Stage 4....
Old 12-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport Package, Titanium Gray II Metallic, Wheel Style 124

i have an appointment to take my 2004 545 with Active Steering to dealer for second time in regards of loose steering wheel with a quarter of a inch of play... i performed this 25 second trick and first thing i notice was my steering Wheel was nice and accurate!!!

can someone confirm that this actually fixed Active Steering or its just a temporary fix
Old 12-07-2008, 11:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

25 sec trick is suppose to be for the trans. No idea how it fixed your AS problem? lol

Quick Reply: The "hold down accelerator for 25s" trick for smoother shift