E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The "hold down accelerator for 25s" trick for smoother shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by Nocrapplease
I care actually, don't want persons sitting in the car thinking the gearbox is being reset, and if you read my original reply you would see I agreed if done correctly it seems you work, So why point out the 100,000 views, stick to the post not personal attacks, do wonder sometimes why certain persons post on this forum, seem you can't have a simple observation without being shot down in flames, by person or persons that seem to think they know better than everyone else,
im simply stating that the noise doesn't matter to "me" - your point was covered 3 years ago in the midst of the thread. don't be so sensitive man i meant no disrespect. but i do appreciate the learning lesson
Old 02-05-2011, 05:33 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 2006 525i
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

THIS WORKS GREAT! noticed a difference right away. and also heard the sound after holding down the pedal for 30 seconds.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

This def works. I have comfort access and I had to physically insert my key- didn't work without inserting the key.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Members

I just did this on an '03 Audi A6 2.0 and it worked. The car used to shift hard from park to drive or reverse and hesitated when pressing the gas pedal. Now it shifts much better and the hesitation is gone. I will be trying this later on my E60 since I noticed the rocking when driving in DS mode.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i premium and sport package. all stock for now... :/

Ok.... This is cool
Old 08-24-2011, 03:19 PM
New Members

I don't usually post on these forums and this is my first post but I gotta say if I have been hoodwinked, you have truly hoodwinked me. If this is the placebo effect, I have been placebo'd... All I can say is that this has made a dramatic difference in my 2007 328i. I got this car CPO almost a year ago and I've experienced the pregnant pauses followed by the burst of energy and subsequent whiplash randomly for that whole period of time. I did this procedure two days ago and have nary experienced an unplanned whiplash since! This car drives like a BMW now! Hopefully this will last but if it doesn't, I'll be happy to do it as often as necessary.

It is disappointing that BMW service could not solve this problem, I've reported it to them three times and always: no problem found since all they seem to want to do is look at the codes reported from the car's computer. I don't care how much of a jerk the guy may or may not be who originally reported this procedure, I'd kiss his big toe right now.

As far as those people who this does not work for, perhaps they dont have the problem this solves (or maybe the placebo does not work for them), I don't know. All I can say is that it worked for me even though I thought it was bogus. I was willing to try anything which is the only reason I even tried this.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Senior Members

It definitely works when I did it...the problem is after several days, it goes back to its old self again.

May be the tranny for the 3 is better and it works the way it supposes to work, resetting means resetting, not going back to the old way.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
It definitely works when I did it...the problem is after several days, it goes back to its old self again.

May be the tranny for the 3 is better and it works the way it supposes to work, resetting means resetting, not going back to the old way.
Thats the problem with this procedure, it's not a tranny reset at all. All it does is fool the car into thinking your driving aggressively (our cars adapt to our driving habits) and after you drive for a few days, it's right back to normal. It shifts different after you do this because it is anticipating you driving hard.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Members

Location: Santa Fe Springs (SFS) - L.A. (SoCal) USA, North America, EARTH

Wish I would have known about this before. I just did this right now, and the shifts were much smoother.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

You can do all this but the real answer is Re - mapping your tranny.......friend of mine that races for BMW did it for my M5 and I am bugging him to come down to cali again to do the same to my 550 so far no cigar. Perhaps we can make it inot an event at least it pays for his plain ride and plus some pocket money for him,lol.

Quick Reply: The "hold down accelerator for 25s" trick for smoother shift