E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HIT A METAL PLATE WHILE MOVING (VAN NESS AVE)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys, I appreciate all the suggestions. I will talk to my insurance company and will find out next week when I am back home.

To gpt: sorry to hear that, hopefully you can get your car fixed soon
Old 04-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Saphire Black, Sport Package, Premium Package, HID, and SAT Radio.

Get a 2nd opinion on the damage cost
Old 04-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MIAMI 5' post='410747' date='Apr 5 2007, 11:35 PM
Get a 2nd opinion on the damage cost
Yes, I will indeed go to other body shops around to get several estimates next week and see how they come up
Old 04-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Sorry to hear about your little prang. I know how annoying it is as I recently did the same to the rear door and sill on a low concrete post leaving a nasty gouge. :thumbsdown:

How do you keep your wheels looking so imaculate though. Mine are always soiled with brake dust even after the first trip after just cleaning them.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by 530xda' post='410442' date='Apr 5 2007, 10:57 AM
cant you put a sticker there

and btw, whats wrong with your blinkers, they are kinda orange/yellow?
Maybe the guy's from North America where orange reflectors are mandatory.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:04 PM
Senior Members

I think $ 2700 is alot for just that. You can get a new mtech bumper . I would just order a new bumper from Quad m . Or go to realoem

fender is only $270

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=41&fg=10

fender painted $500-600
mtech front bumper skin $999

total $1500-1600 saving of over $1000
Old 04-06-2007, 02:13 AM
Contributors

Although it can be hard to tell from pictures I think they are not being honest with you.....to put it mildly. What is it that they can't repair on the fender because it's aluminum? The only thing that I see on the fender is a scratch. Are they saying they can't sand, primer and repaint it because it's aluminum?? The E60 uses special adhesives and rivets to attach the aluminum fender to the non-aluminum chassis, so replacing the fenders is not as easy as on other cars and I would not want a body shop to mess with the factory installed fenders if it were not absolutely necessary.

The bumper can be repaired for $800?? The list price for a brand new bumper is $463. Many dealers will give you a discount of 5% to 25% on top of that, not to mention if it were the body shop that was buying the bumper from a dealer it would cost them a lot less. So worse case scenario if you were to buy a brand new bumper at the list price of $463 and paid even $200 to $300 for paint and installation it would still cost less than what they quoted you for repairing the old bumper. If the damage on the bumper was really extensive then the labor for repairing it would be more costly than just painting a new bumper, however, since it seems to have mainly just scratches it should not cost that much to repair it.

Bottom line is that I think they are not being honest with you and from the looks of the pictures I would say that both the bumper and the fender CAN be repaired/repainted for MUCH less than what they quoted you and they don't have to be replaced.

I would get more quotes from both independent body shops and other BMW dealers to get a better idea of what you really need to do.

As far as the insurance claim is concerned, unless the cost to repair it was only a couple of hundred dollars more than your deductible I would go ahead and claim it from your insurance.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Members

Actually, I should have circled the main issue regarding the front fender can't be replaced... And for your information, I went to Weatherford BMW body shop in Oakland, CA (that's the BMW certified). I do not think that I will be getting an M-tech bumper as this is my daily driver and will prefer to keep it look standard.

Now with that misaligned fender, is it possible to fix it or will it need a new one?

I will ask for more estimates this friday to see what others come up with

Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails HIT A METAL PLATE WHILE MOVING (VAN NESS AVE)-img_2883_resize.jpg  
Old 04-10-2007, 12:41 AM
Members

more pics on the misaligned fender
Attached Thumbnails HIT A METAL PLATE WHILE MOVING (VAN NESS AVE)-img_2885_resize.jpg  
Old 04-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

The fender does look out of place on the latter picture. But I would seek a second opinion from a non-certified shop if there's not much real damage

Originally Posted by dawi' post='410752' date='Apr 6 2007, 02:46 PM
Maybe the guy's from North America where orange reflectors are mandatory.
You are right, check out the US spec LCI E60, they got a amber reflector on the side because the turning signal for the new headlight unit does not come in amber. I think this is a cheap solution for BMW to cut down on production cost which make the car look :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply: HIT A METAL PLATE WHILE MOVING (VAN NESS AVE)