E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HIT A METAL PLATE WHILE MOVING (VAN NESS AVE)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 12:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was driving in Van Ness Ave (San Francisco) last week at around 10pm and accidentally hit this curvy metal plate (dont know how to properly explain it):
1. the front bumper was cracked (near the wheel arch)
2. the fender was scratched (I tried to make it to not stand out using 668 JET BLACK touch up paint) and bent along with the left side lip

Excuse my language I dont know how to explain it in words but anyway I attached the pictures (taken at my apartment garage) below

I went to BMW certified body shop (in Oakland) for an estimate, and the estimator said:
1. Fender is aluminum therefore can't be fixed, need to buy a new fender
2. Bumper can be fixed at $800
3. side lip (or whatever that is) can be fixed
And the estimate came out to be: ALMOST $2700

Guys, please help out with suggestions...
1. Should I claim insurance? my deductible is $500 and the premium will rise
2. Do you think $2700 sounds right?
3. Is it true that the fender can't be readjusted?

THANKS IN ADVANCE! suggestions are appreciated
Attached Thumbnails HIT A METAL PLATE WHILE MOVING (VAN NESS AVE)-img_2883_resize.jpg   HIT A METAL PLATE WHILE MOVING (VAN NESS AVE)-img_2889_resize.jpg   HIT A METAL PLATE WHILE MOVING (VAN NESS AVE)-img_2890_resize.jpg   HIT A METAL PLATE WHILE MOVING (VAN NESS AVE)-img_2891_resize.jpg   HIT A METAL PLATE WHILE MOVING (VAN NESS AVE)-img_2886_resize.jpg  

Old 04-05-2007, 01:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530D , Msport, Deep Sea Blue , Cream Beige Dakota , Due April 2007.

Advice : avoid curvy metal plates
Old 04-05-2007, 01:57 AM
Members

cant you put a sticker there

and btw, whats wrong with your blinkers, they are kinda orange/yellow?
Old 04-05-2007, 02:03 AM
Senior Members

Nasty scratch but i suspect that the fender can be repaired, especially the fender. I might be wrong though...

To 530xda i think the blinkers you refer to have that color because of the flash of the camera.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport, Visibility pack, Cream Beige Leather, Auto, M rear spoiler, BT Car kit, Folding Mirrors, USB, Business NAV, DAB, High Beam Assist, CD Changer, 172 Alloys, Comfort Seats.

The fender can be repairerd providing it is not too badly damaged, which it doesn't appear to be in the picture.

I would try a local repair from someone like dent wizard, the do bodywork too.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:46 AM
Members

My Ride: Expected delivery on 15 Jan 2007 525I Olivian Green, Beige Interior, PP, CWP, PDC, SP, Rear shades,heated rear seats, Ipod fitted, Nav, Oem Rims 166, Xenon Lights, Wood grain package, illuminated door sills

First off sorry that happen to you :thumbsdown:
Next I would claim it on my insurance, here's why. Your premium will not go up just because you make this claim, that is what your paying for. Now if you are constantly getting in accidents and such then yes you premium will go up, but i dont suspect this is the case. And if you still dont want to do that you could always try quad-m on this site im sure he can giv you a good price painted and shipped to you. Good Luck
Old 04-05-2007, 05:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Wow...that really sucks! Lucky it didn't mess up your wheels or alignment. Good luck.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:14 AM
Contributors

Yeah, have insurance pay, that's why we pay all those premiums! I've had quite a few insurance dealings...and somehow I still have a "good driver" policy. That was not your fault...your insurance should not go up!
Old 04-05-2007, 10:58 AM
gpt
Senior Members

Interesting story: My wife had her car damaged by another driver, same insurance co. The adjuster came out and said there was $1600.00 worth of damage. We took it to Disk's Auto Body in Somerville (the only place to go) and the estimate was $6000.00. Hmmm... they seem to do a more thorough job than most. As a matter of fact, that's the only place my dealer brings the slightly damaged new arrivals. Must say something.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

royz86:
Sorry about your accident. I too would suggest that you file claim - in MY opinion (I'm not a lawyer) you were not at fault. When we lived in Northern Westchester County (NY state), my wife and I hit four deer on the road (or should I say the deer ran into our automobiles - that was true in three of the four accidents) over an eighteen month period. We collected from our comprehensive, not our collision coverage. The considered it to be an act of God - our rates did not change.

gpt:
When we need to have the adjuster from our insurance company see our car (as you can see from the above we have some experience), we have always had him view the car at our auto body shop. (North State Custom in Bedford Hills, NY - BTW they repaired BMW's Art Cars about 20 years ago after some body damage sustained in transit from Germany - I would recommend them highly). The body shop professionals are able to explain what their estimate to the adjuster and start the repair off on the right financial foot. (You know you have the right to choose your repair shop - at least in NY or CT.)

Good luck to you both!

Quick Reply: HIT A METAL PLATE WHILE MOVING (VAN NESS AVE)