E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High beams a hassle on 2006 525xi

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 07:04 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 525xi
Model Year: 2006
Engine: V6

I re-checked the headlights using the local restaurant's large front windows and first thing I confirmed was that the drivers side light is less bright than the passenger side. I had noticed earlier that, with the hood up, the housing was quite different on the passenger side. With other non-bmw's I have owned, they were at least similar in appearance. I wonder if that's normal for bmw''s? I suspect the passenger side is newer because of the wreck.

Otherwise, with the headlights on "auto," the lights "on" were the outside lights. When I pushed the lever, the inside lights were barely illuminated and the outside lights remained on. When i pull back on the lever once, the inside lights go out and outside lights stay on. When I release and pull back again the inside lights are illuminated (as long as i keep holding the lever back) and the outside lights stay on throughout.

Relating to what I was saying in the first paragraph, earlier today on the drivers side headlight, I pulled the large rubber "cap" off the inside light and then the smaller plastic cap off the outer light as well which took care of the moisture inside. I noted the difference on the passenger side headlight was that there are two large plastic caps to access the outer and inner lights each. No moisture on that side.
Thoughts?
Ty!
Old 01-06-2019, 08:15 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

Sounds like you have a set of mismatched headlight units. Appears you have bi-Xeon on the right and halogen on the left. Run a vin decoder to confirm what you should have.

vin decoder: bimmer.work : VIN Decoder for BMW

Here is a e60 document that will provide you a general overview. Pay particular attention to the headlight segment. There is a decent functional layout of both bi-Xeon and halogen units.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...2&d=1526135469

This final link covers BMW shop repair and overview as prepared by BMW technical services.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

And a BMW parts number lookup link.
realoem.com

I have a BMW training document covering adaptive headlights that I can't find tonight. I'll post up when I find it.

Good luck.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:02 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
I always check lighting action by having someone use the controls and me observing from the outside of the car the actions or non-actions of the lights I would also check to see if your 6 cylinders are in a V configuration. BMW doesn't make V sixes and I don't think that they ever have.
I just caught this! My mistake as the last 2 vehicles I had were v6's. The last one which I still have was my exclusive driver the last 15 yrs. Old habits die hard
Old 01-06-2019, 10:04 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing
Sounds like you have a set of mismatched headlight units. Appears you have bi-Xeon on the right and halogen on the left. Run a vin decoder to confirm what you should have.

vin decoder: bimmer.work : VIN Decoder for BMW

Here is a e60 document that will provide you a general overview. Pay particular attention to the headlight segment. There is a decent functional layout of both bi-Xeon and halogen units.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...2&d=1526135469

This final link covers BMW shop repair and overview as prepared by BMW technical services.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

And a BMW parts number lookup link.
realoem.com

I have a BMW training document covering adaptive headlights that I can't find tonight. I'll post up when I find it.

Good luck.
Great information. I have the day off tomorrow so I will spend some time on this. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2019, 06:42 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by Aboom
I just caught this! My mistake as the last 2 vehicles I had were v6's. The last one which I still have was my exclusive driver the last 15 yrs. Old habits die hard
All is well in "Bimmerland". It seems like we have also resolved the "hi-low" mystery.