E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HiFi Speaker/Cross Over question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)
Thumbs up

I am about to purchase the SWS-8 woofers AND a new AMP for my HiFi (US) system. At the same time I was thinking of replacing the rear shelf speakers with a better set of component 4" speakers. Most component set ups come with a cross over, what I cant figure out is if the factory speakers have a cross over already built in line with them and where these cross over's are located As in the many postings I have read on the subject, its not mentioned anywhere.

At first I thought maybe the head unit was separating the frequencies for the doors and rear shelf, but after further investigation of the attached .PDF I found, it seems like from the CD there is only 1 set of wires going to each door and or side of the rear deck. IE 4 wires (not including the wires for the factory amp) instead of 6 wires if the head unit was separating the frequency.

If I buy a new pair of components for the rear i'd like to use the cross over that came with it for better matching then the inline BMW ones.

Can anyone confirm there is a factory cross over somewhere for the rear deck speakers and where they are located???? Or does anyone have a wiring diagram for the HiFi (Non-Logic 7) system???

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
B3_DIN_radio_casing.pdf (136.2 KB, 158 views)
Old 02-19-2009, 04:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='796233' date='Feb 18 2009, 06:03 PM
I am about to purchase the SWS-8 woofers AND a new AMP for my HiFi (US) system. At the same time I was thinking of replacing the rear shelf speakers with a better set of component 4" speakers. Most component set ups come with a cross over, what I cant figure out is if the factory speakers have a cross over already built in line with them and where these cross over's are located As in the many postings I have read on the subject, its not mentioned anywhere.

At first I thought maybe the head unit was separating the frequencies for the doors and rear shelf, but after further investigation of the attached .PDF I found, it seems like from the CD there is only 1 set of wires going to each door and or side of the rear deck. IE 4 wires (not including the wires for the factory amp) instead of 6 wires if the head unit was separating the frequency.

If I buy a new pair of components for the rear i'd like to use the cross over that came with it for better matching then the inline BMW ones.

Can anyone confirm there is a factory cross over somewhere for the rear deck speakers and where they are located???? Or does anyone have a wiring diagram for the HiFi (Non-Logic 7) system???

Thanks
anyone? anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 02-19-2009, 05:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='796591' date='Feb 19 2009, 08:26 AM
anyone? anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
the stock system is not using any active crossovers for the tweeters, only for the subs. the tweeters have an in-line passive crossover, they connect to auxilliary terminals on the 100mm drivers.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='796637' date='Feb 19 2009, 07:28 AM
the stock system is not using any active crossovers for the tweeters, only for the subs. the tweeters have an in-line passive crossover, they connect to auxilliary terminals on the 100mm drivers.
Okay, so thats good to know. So that means the wire going to the speaker area is a full signal, then all i have to do is connect the incoming line to the crossover that came with my component, then run the wires to the woofer and tweeter.

Excellent!

Thanks for the heads up..
Old 02-19-2009, 05:55 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

The HU is crossing over the freq, the way its done is that mids and above are sent to the mids and then from there the highs are filtered via an inline passive crossover. The lows are sent directly to the Hi-Fi amp. I don't think you get a full range signal on any speaker.

In case you are looking, I have a set of L7 mids for sale.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='796658' date='Feb 19 2009, 07:55 AM
The HU is crossing over the freq, the way its done is that mids and above are sent to the mids and then from there the highs are filtered via an inline passive crossover. The lows are sent directly to the Hi-Fi amp. I don't think you get a full range signal on any speaker.

In case you are looking, I have a set of L7 mids for sale.
Bruce,

Hey thanks for chiming in...thats interesting, so what youre saying is you dont believe there is any low frequency going to the rear deck speakers? I wonder what the cut off rate is? Reason being is I have selected the below set of component speakers (Audiobahn) over the MB Quart because they can go as low as 45Hz (MB's 55Hz) and they have a larger tweeter then the MB Quarts 1" as appossed to 3/4"

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/Pr...ProductID=17988

Can anyone confirm at what frequency the rear deck speakers may be cut off at, hell while I am asking where is the cut off for the low pass going to the rear amp???

Anyone?
Old 02-19-2009, 08:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

What i suggest you do is try this for yourself instead of relying on information others are providing.

Just disconnect the rear amp : You will have no problems doing that because its just an amp and you are disconnecting a line level signal.
Use a tuning CD : Download from the link in my sub replacement thread.
Then play each track and find out what the mids are cut out at.

I actually prefer telling people to trust their ears rather than numbers. That way you dont land up spending money on stuff you cannot hear anyway.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Just because the audiobahn can go down low to 45hz that doesnt make it a better speaker than the mb quarts. why would you want a 4'' mid to play that low, thats subwoofer territory. my 7' rainbows starts playing at 63hz. for 4" component stick with focal and mb quarts. each signal coming form the radio is already crossed thats why im using a summing device to get a full range signal going into my amps.
this guys does an excellent job breaking down how our system works.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183025
Old 02-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='796780' date='Feb 19 2009, 10:16 AM
What i suggest you do is try this for yourself instead of relying on information others are providing.

Just disconnect the rear amp : You will have no problems doing that because its just an amp and you are disconnecting a line level signal.
Use a tuning CD : Download from the link in my sub replacement thread.
Then play each track and find out what the mids are cut out at.

I actually prefer telling people to trust their ears rather than numbers. That way you dont land up spending money on stuff you cannot hear anyway.
Great Idea...awesome thanks Bruce. You know I have read your DYI on the sub & amp install a few times, but never all the way thru because I havent made that mod yet. However now that the gear is ordered might as well read it all the way thru!! LOL

Thanks again