E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi Hi... the dreaded i-drive screen blanking!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone!!

After previous software upgrading where the idrive menu became silver, i started experiencing intermittent case of blanked out i-drive screen when turning on ignition, and at the same time, cannot control radio, CD, DVD, voice control and bluetooth... ending up with quite a boring drive, except for the wonderful feel of the e60. After parking the car for awhile, the i-drive comes back alive when turn on ignition. I also feel that this phenomenon happens sometimes when you unlock your car and start ignition after 5-10 min of being in the car...

I brought my car in 3-4 days ago, and they took care of my car for couple days... and finally picked it up... they said they reprogrammed the car. I thought the car would be fine after that.... but just today, that phenomenon came back again!!
Blanked i-drive screen when i started up my car couple minutes after entering my car....
Is there a permanent solution to this? it is very annoying, and was embarrassed when that happened couple weeks ago when my relatives were here....

what can I do? what should BMW services do? I am drowning... waaaaa....

thanks guys!!
Old 01-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Members

by the way, i am in British Columbia, Canada
Old 01-21-2008, 11:48 PM
Members

Hey there

Had the same issue myself, brought my car in last week and got a CIP upgrade.
When i did get the issue of the screen blanking had to wait around 10 mins for the computer to sleep and then it came back up to life.
Haven't experienced it anymore.

also read a BMW service only magazine in the dealership and they mentioned about battery drain and they have a new detection system that diagnoses components which take up too much battery power.

maybe get dealer to check that as well
Old 01-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Almighty JungleBoy' post='521145' date='Jan 22 2008, 03:37 AM
Hi everyone!!

After previous software upgrading where the idrive menu became silver, i started experiencing intermittent case of blanked out i-drive screen when turning on ignition, and at the same time, cannot control radio, CD, DVD, voice control and bluetooth... ending up with quite a boring drive, except for the wonderful feel of the e60. After parking the car for awhile, the i-drive comes back alive when turn on ignition. I also feel that this phenomenon happens sometimes when you unlock your car and start ignition after 5-10 min of being in the car...

I brought my car in 3-4 days ago, and they took care of my car for couple days... and finally picked it up... they said they reprogrammed the car. I thought the car would be fine after that.... but just today, that phenomenon came back again!!
Blanked i-drive screen when i started up my car couple minutes after entering my car....
Is there a permanent solution to this? it is very annoying, and was embarrassed when that happened couple weeks ago when my relatives were here....

what can I do? what should BMW services do? I am drowning... waaaaa....

thanks guys!!
I had the same concern. My 545i would blank the iDrive screen and no radio, NAV etc. Usually after parking the system would work. BMW upgraded SW to v27 but I noticed the iDrive screen now had a silver screen as you mention. I wonder what version they gave you? Since SW upgrade I have not a single case where the iDrive blanks.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

I've had the the problem once as well. You can reboot it manually by pressing the volume knob and both eject buttons at the same time.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Senior Members

If it happens repeatedly, you need to bring this to the dealer's attention.

It might just need recoding or the CCC might need replacement.