E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help - when I get out of car, Bluetooth keeps going and kills battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 05:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by Aukpf
When I am on a Bluetooth call with my iPhone 4, and I select the source on the iPhone to be the phone itself (instead of the BMW Bluetooth because I am getting out of the car), the call is transferred back to the phone but the BMW Bluetooth stays on (and keeps counting seconds). I walk away from the car, after pressing the start/stop button twice as I usually do to kill the engine and radio mode, but Bluetooth stays on in the car. When I return, I have a dead battery.

So... How do I tell my car that it is okay to shut down, as the call has been transferred back to my handset?
press and hold the start/stop button until everything shuts off to turn everything off. if you are on a call, the bluetooth does stay on until you end the call or walk far enough away from the car to get out of range. I do this all the time (granted, I don't have the start stop button, just the old school key) and I have not killed my battery with my phone.

if that was enough to drain your battery, it's time for a new one anyway.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 BMW 535i Sport, Jet Black

I'm confused with all these comments about "transferring the call to the phone", although I have never been on the phone when I shut off the car (I don't think). In fact, I don't even think about it. Both my phone and my wife's phone are married to the bluetooth in the car. They are set up so that if both of us get in at the same time, my phone (iPhone4) connects to the bluetooth, otherwise her phone connects.

When I get to my destination, I simply press the Start/Stop button once to shut off the engine, and get out of the car (locking it or not). At that point, any calls are then answered directly by my phone. I leave bluetooth on all the time, both in the car and on our phones, with no detrimental effect on the battery life of either phone or the car. (I realize it probably drains the phone somewhat, but not noticeably by me.)
Old 06-17-2012, 08:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

+1.

I went on my 3rd battery about a year ago. The last two OEMs lasted about 2.2 years, each. It sounds like your battery is too defective to hold enough juice to start up, regardless of long you charge it. And don't bother buying a 900+ Amps Battery Jumper Starter (because the Dealers said my battery was still good); I own two of them and they are not reliable if the battery is too dead. It surely sound like you might just need a new battery and an IBS.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by sahiljain22
How old is your car battery? Maybe it's near-dead and the delay in the idrive to shutoff after a call disconnects is enough to kill it. I had that happen for a year on a car battery which was essentially dead but I was too stupid to realize it. Even something like an interior light on for an extra 30 seconds would kill my car battery.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:18 AM
Members

Location: Santa Fe Springs (SFS) - L.A. (SoCal) USA, North America, EARTH

This same thing happens to me ocassionally; so I've gotten used to switching bluetooth off on my phone before i shut the car off. This ensures for me that the car shuts off completely.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by Burnie35
I'm confused with all these comments about "transferring the call to the phone", although I have never been on the phone when I shut off the car (I don't think). In fact, I don't even think about it. Both my phone and my wife's phone are married to the bluetooth in the car. They are set up so that if both of us get in at the same time, my phone (iPhone4) connects to the bluetooth, otherwise her phone connects.

When I get to my destination, I simply press the Start/Stop button once to shut off the engine, and get out of the car (locking it or not). At that point, any calls are then answered directly by my phone. I leave bluetooth on all the time, both in the car and on our phones, with no detrimental effect on the battery life of either phone or the car. (I realize it probably drains the phone somewhat, but not noticeably by me.)
he's talking about being on a call when you turn the car off and you want to walk away from the car, without hanging up. to "transfer" the call you press the audio source button on your iphone, select the iphone, and the call is taken off the bluetooth hands free and "transferred" to the phone instead so you can walk away.