E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help with Spacer Sizing for 09 535XI

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:32 AM
cpo
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, I have searched. I have seen the threads and sites on how to measure offset...but I still have a question about what size spacers would fit my situation.

Vehicle is a 2009 535i with X-Drive (aka 535xi). It does have the Sport package, but I believe that doesn't impact suspension...only rims/tires on the X-Drive model. Correct?

Rims are the 18" style 124 (staggered I believe). Tires are Bridgestone 275/35R18 (rear) and 245/40R18 (front).

I'm looking for a more aggressive stance, and I believe that wheel spacers might help me get the look I am after. The rear tires, in particular, seem very in-set at the moment.

I read the instructions on how to measure for the right spacers, but I'm not seeing results that make it easy.

Rear wheel: If I measure the distance from the inside fender to the rim I get around 15mm. However, if I measure to the widest part of the tire, I get only about 5mm. If I measure to the outer edge of the tire (near the tread) I am back to around 15mm. So, I essentially have about 10mm of tire bulge at the center of the side wall (not sure what to call it).

I want to say the 15mm is the right spacer size for this application...but it just didn't come together as easily as the tutorials that state to measure to the "widest part of the tire or the rim". In my case, there is a big difference between those two measurements.

The front tire is the same situation.

So...I'm thinking of a 15mm rear and 10mm front spacer set.

Does anyone have a similar setup on the 535xi (2008-2009) with sport package that can confirm that I won't have rubbing issues? Any photos of this?

Or...if you don't have that setup, do you have any advice on my situation?

I do realize I could go all out and use the stud/washer fitment test...but I was hoping to avoid that. It still might be the best option if there are no clear answers that emerge.

Thanks for the time.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:47 AM
cpo
Members

Sorry...This probably should have gone in E60 Parts, Accessories and Mods section. Moderators - feel free to move if necessary. I made the post off my last string of search results...and didn't realize I wasn't in the right section any longer.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:09 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

The best person to say what size spacers would be the best option, is you.
Think it this way: If you push the wheel+tyre 15mm more out with a spacer, will the tyre rub the edge of the fender when that corner of the car is being heavily pushed down. If it does rub, the spacer is too thick. Simple as that.

- Antti -
Old 03-28-2012, 05:27 PM
cpo
Members

Update for those that may have this same question and find this topic via search:

I just today put on the spacers. 15mm in rear and 10mm in front. Not a single issue. Looks good, no rubbing at all (so far). My opinion...not sure if I would want to ever go bigger in the front. In the rear, there may be a little more room to go bigger...perhaps 18mm or 20mm. I'm sticking with the 15's though...I don't want to push my luck.

Tip: After cleaning the hub area with brake cleaner and a wire brush to knock off the crud...put some anti-seize around the hub ring. Then (and this is the tip) to properly align the spacer and to ease it on evenly, use the factory lug bolts. Just put a few in on opposite sides and tighten them a little at a time going around until the spacer is snug. The holes will be lined up, and you will be sure the spacer is firmly seated against the hub. Then pull the bolts, and put the tire on with the new longer bolts.

It was a VERY EASY job. I'll take pictures tomorrow. It's just turning dark outside now.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:27 PM
cpo
Members

As promised....

Results are subtle. Much more so in the photos than in person. In person, there is definitely a more aggressive stance with the spacers than before.

Sorry about the other little changes...I was doing some blackout work at the same time as I did the spacers.

Help with Spacer Sizing for 09 535XI-rear.jpg

Help with Spacer Sizing for 09 535XI-quarter-front.jpg

Help with Spacer Sizing for 09 535XI-quarter.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Help with Spacer Sizing for 09 535XI-front.jpg  
Old 04-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xiT Silver/Gray with Sport, Nav, Cold, Convenience, Logic7 and more.

All great questions, I am facing the same right now after upgrading my E61 to 19" wheels (style 128)!

I am curious how you tested for rubbing: did you throw a bunch of heavy junk in a trunk and drove around over road humps?

I am not sure if I can test it this way on the rear since I have a self-leveling rear suspension and not sure how fast the air-spring rate is adjusted when rear tires hit the bump. Maybe I am over thinking it.

At least my case is simpler in a way that my tire sidewall is almost flash with the rim, so it is easier to measure.
But looking at other's setups on this board with same car and wheels having 12mm spacers on front, I can only measure 7-8mm of fender space there.
Maybe this +4mm difference accounts for suspension travel when the wheel tucks in to fender well and tilts?
This can not be measured on a static car, so this must be a trial and error exercise then, correct?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:43 PM
cpo
Members

Originally Posted by vash68
I am curious how you tested for rubbing: did you throw a bunch of heavy junk in a trunk and drove around over road humps?
Just the ol' fashioned drive-around-and-see-if-it-makes-noise test. If it doesn't rub during use...then that's good with me. It may be different if I load it down...but that's not how I tend to drive around anyway, so I didn't test beyond my family in the car and normal use - incline driveway entrances, speed bumps, etc.

I am not sure if I can test it this way on the rear since I have a self-leveling rear suspension and not sure how fast the air-spring rate is adjusted when rear tires hit the bump. Maybe I am over thinking it.
No clue how the self-leveling suspension would work for this.

But looking at other's setups on this board with same car and wheels having 12mm spacers on front, I can only measure 7-8mm of fender space there.
Maybe this +4mm difference accounts for suspension travel when the wheel tucks in to fender well and tilts?
I'm not certain how it all works out...but it just did for mine.

This can not be measured on a static car, so this must be a trial and error exercise then, correct?
I think that's the answer. There are so many variables that come into play...Best you can do is find someone with the same setup as you and see what they run and start from there (which is why i posted my information)

Good luck!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Members

My Ride: '08 535xi Sport/Premium Auto w/ Navigation. Alpine White.

What would really make a difference is lowering it. I would love to do that on my 535xi.