E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HELP!! SOS sign!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I

I was out last night and as usual i always come home and park my ride in the garage. This morning i started my car and there was a sign(SOS with a phone logo saying not working >something like a non smoking sign with a ciragette) and my iDrive systeme was on main menu with the clock and date not showing and i couldint do nothing with the iDrive (no music,climate,navi etc... the mouse was just spining there were not tics! so i turned it off and on again wich didint change anything.. i drove it around the block and parked it on my driveway and shut it off and turned it back on after 25 secs and it was working fine again (all systeme ok). Does anyone know what this could be because its freaking me out i just baught the car recently from a BMW dealership and its an certified series and still under waranty til december. Please let me know what you guys think and what exactly is this?

Proops.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

You don't mention the age of your car, but since you mention CPO, it's probably more than 4 yrs old. So, it sounds like the battery. Lots of posts on the board mention random system warnings that come and go when the battery is on the edge of functionality. You could have it tested to make sure. You could also have the charging system checked, i.e., alternator and whatever else.

Often, it helps to mention the age/miles on your car whenever you pose a question on the board about a problem. Also, mentioning any mods is useful...You could put it in your signature so that it is always there...
Old 06-14-2011, 05:24 AM
Contributors

Word of advice ... your car may begin to show other spurious alerts but NOT record the issue in "memory" or in the Check Control List (in the iDrive Service Menu). And the alerts can be very confusing with words and pictures.

I ALWAYS use my cell phone to snap a quick picture of the alert. It has really helped when bringing my car in for service or warranty issues.

It sounds to me like for some reason your car was trying to pair with your phone but there may have been some issue - maybe not even related to the car (your phone??).

Good,luck sorting it out. OH ... yea .. battery weakness will start triggering lots of misc error messages. And they can be challenging to sort out!!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Well, if your car is CPO, just take it in?
Old 06-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
You don't mention the age of your car, but since you mention CPO, it's probably more than 4 yrs old. So, it sounds like the battery. Lots of posts on the board mention random system warnings that come and go when the battery is on the edge of functionality. You could have it tested to make sure. You could also have the charging system checked, i.e., alternator and whatever else.

Often, it helps to mention the age/miles on your car whenever you pose a question on the board about a problem. Also, mentioning any mods is useful...You could put it in your signature so that it is always there...
its an 06 530i with 43000km.. im new on this site but thx its good to know for future >?<... the day i picked up the car the dealer told me that he replaced the battery since it was weak.. i guess ill call them to make an appointment.
thx.