E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help! Passenger Air Bag Light won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dstompkins' date='Oct 6 2004, 05:20 PM
I have the same airbag off light issue.
My dealer indicated that it was a weight issue and there is no fix as it is not "broken."
The concern was people (small people/children?) being injured by the airbag itself.
My 5'9" wife doesn't qualify as either small or a child (that's me? ) but the light stays on for her anyhow.
I wonder if this is a sport package seat issue or a 545 issue or a random issue.
From reading others with the same problem, it seems that most/all? have sport seats...true?
[snapback]41956[/snapback]
I have a 530i January 2004 production with Comfort Seats and have the same issue. Brought it up with the dealership shop foreman and asked about the issue in his next training class. Instructor said they knew of the issue and recommended by wife sit in the back seat.....bunch of BS. I complained more and the regional service manager agreed to replace the seat mat sensors....it worked for about a month where the light turned off every time my wife sat in the car....but then it went back to its old ways where it would stay on sometimes and go off sometimes when she sat in the car. If this doesn't get resolved soon, I'm reporting it to the US National Transportaion Safety Board. They require that all cars made in 2004 and later have functioning airbags on driver and passenger side. Here's an additional thread that discusses the details:Link
Old 11-17-2004, 09:03 AM

I have now been told by my dealer that "after extensive testing" BMW has determined that the weight threshold for the sensor to activate the airbag is 99 lbs. As my wife is 108 and doesn't activate the airbag, that is clearly wrong. Even at 99, it is wrong and needs to be fixed.

Originally Posted by Sifford' date='Nov 17 2004, 12:00 AM
[quote name='dstompkins' date='Oct 6 2004, 05:20 PM']I have the same airbag off light issue.
My dealer indicated that it was a weight issue and there is no fix as it is not "broken."
The concern was people (small people/children?) being injured by the airbag itself.
My 5'9" wife doesn't qualify as either small or a child (that's me? ) but the light stays on for her anyhow.
I wonder if this is a sport package seat issue or a 545 issue or a random issue.
From reading others with the same problem, it seems that most/all? have sport seats...true?
[snapback]41956[/snapback]
I have a 530i January 2004 production with Comfort Seats and have the same issue. Brought it up with the dealership shop foreman and asked about the issue in his next training class. Instructor said they knew of the issue and recommended by wife sit in the back seat.....bunch of BS. I complained more and the regional service manager agreed to replace the seat mat sensors....it worked for about a month where the light turned off every time my wife sat in the car....but then it went back to its old ways where it would stay on sometimes and go off sometimes when she sat in the car. If this doesn't get resolved soon, I'm reporting it to the US National Transportaion Safety Board. They require that all cars made in 2004 and later have functioning airbags on driver and passenger side. Here's an additional thread that discusses the details:Link
[snapback]57085[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 11-18-2004, 01:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Carbon Black with Black Nasca Leather Sport Auto Transmission Active Steering Comfort Access Bamboo Anthracite wood trim Power Rear Sunshades Ventilated Seats Ipod adapter Nav Sat Premium Sound

I've had the exact same problem for the last year (I got my car last October 2003). After 32,000 miles and 4-5 service visits, no dealership can fix the problem. I've heard every excuse in the book from dealerships from software issues to passenger seat sensor needs replacement. BS! I am so tired of complaining about it I've given up. My girlfriend freaks out when she sitting in the passenger seat and the light goes on, meaning airbag off. She makes me slow down thinking she's going to die!