E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help! Passenger Air Bag Light won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 07:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Sep 29 2004, 05:03 PM
I imagine we all get a little light in the butt at impact zero..
[snapback]39426[/snapback]

LOL Yea Imagine that. At point of impact, you are raised off the seat. The seat decides no one is in it. Deactivates air bag all in fractions of a second.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:07 AM
D. Link

I have been complaining to BMW for two months now about this very same issue and I am getting nowhere. This is a serious safety issue!! My wife weighs 122lbs. and is 5' 6" tall. The light comes on and off all of the time, sometimes it may stay on for a while or go off for a while or flash on and off every few seconds. It has a mind of its own and this will occur while my wife is perfectly still. The dealer did an upgrade to the software and checked the sensor but the problem still exsists. They refered me to BMW in New Jersey and they are now telling me this is normal and that my wife should sit in the back seat. BMW says that when the light is illuminated the passenger does not have airbag protection. Now when my wife and i go somewhere we take another car, because she does not feel safe. We also went back to the dealer and drove another 2004 525i for about 30 minutes and did not expierience the same condition. I am soooo frustated with this company right now for there lack of concern with this issue. This is my second BMW and probably my last! Anybody interested in a 2004 525i with the sport package and around 8000 miles, I may have one available soon.

Mr. Frustrated
Old 10-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by D. Link' date='Oct 1 2004, 04:07 AM
I have been complaining to BMW for two months now about this very same issue and I am getting nowhere. This is a serious safety issue!! My wife weighs 122lbs. and is 5' 6" tall. The light comes on and off all of the time, sometimes it may stay on for a while or go off for a while or flash on and off every few seconds. It has a mind of its own and this will occur while my wife is perfectly still. The dealer did an upgrade to the software and checked the sensor but the problem still exsists. They refered me to BMW in New Jersey and they are now telling me this is normal and that my wife should sit in the back seat. BMW says that when the light is illuminated the passenger does not have airbag protection. Now when my wife and i go somewhere we take another car, because she does not feel safe. We also went back to the dealer and drove another 2004 525i for about 30 minutes and did not expierience the same condition. I am soooo frustated with this company right now for there lack of concern with this issue. This is my second BMW and probably my last!? Anybody interested in a 2004 525i with the sport package and around 8000 miles, I may have one available soon.

Mr. Frustrated
[snapback]40074[/snapback]
d. link, i feel your pain :'(. your dealer is taking a big risk if they refuse to fix that problem for you . call the president of your dealer and ask him who is going to responsible if there is an accident happen while your wife or someone else sitting in the front passenger seat w/o the airbag popping out when there is a big impact? i don't think they want a lawsuit like this. you have to stand strong and tell them fix this asap. don't let them give you any kind of stupid excuses ! those people are out of their minds .
Old 10-02-2004, 05:01 AM
D. Link

Thanks for the response. I failed to mention we went to the dealer and drove another 525i 2004 for about 30 minutes and did not experience the same thing as we do in our car, (Ours has the sport package/seats and the one we drove did not) Also,we have a 2004 Denali that has the same type of system, and we never experience the light coming on with my wife in the passenger seat.BMW has a problem and is not taking responsibility for it. I am very puzzled as to why they are not jumping through hoops on this issue.

Still Frustrated
Old 10-02-2004, 08:21 AM
Members

Mine air bag warning light works. Maybe too well -- it's the brightest star in the sky.

There is no mention in my video of how to turn it off.

Any ideas of how to turn it down (short of duct tape)?
Old 10-02-2004, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by cprgolds' date='Oct 2 2004, 12:21 PM
Mine air bag warning light works.? Maybe too well -- it's the brightest star in the sky.

[snapback]40506[/snapback]
Read through this thread for some good advice...
Old 10-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 2 2004, 10:33 AM
Read through this thread for some good advice...
[snapback]40511[/snapback]
Thanks much. The software upgrade possibility sounds intriguing. Hve not heard that one before.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cprgolds' date='Oct 2 2004, 10:21 AM
Mine air bag warning light works.? Maybe too well -- it's the brightest star in the sky.

Ours flickers. It is exceedingly annoying, not to mention dangerous. We used a piece of black electrical tape to cover the light. It really doesn't look bad, and now we don't see the blinking light.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SueBMW' date='Oct 2 2004, 07:29 PM
[quote name='cprgolds' date='Oct 2 2004, 10:21 AM']Mine air bag warning light works.? Maybe too well -- it's the brightest star in the sky.

Ours flickers. It is exceedingly annoying, not to mention dangerous. We used a piece of black electrical tape to cover the light. It really doesn't look bad, and now we don't see the blinking light.
[snapback]40646[/snapback]
[/quote]

My Airbag light is not very bright at all. Even with my interior lights dimmed. I have version 11.3. Should be getting 13.x on Monday the 4th.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:20 PM
Members

I have the same airbag off light issue.
My dealer indicated that it was a weight issue and there is no fix as it is not "broken."
The concern was people (small people/children?) being injured by the airbag itself.
My 5'9" wife doesn't qualify as either small or a child (that's me ) but the light stays on for her anyhow.
I wonder if this is a sport package seat issue or a 545 issue or a random issue.
From reading others with the same problem, it seems that most/all? have sport seats...true?

Quick Reply: Help! Passenger Air Bag Light won't turn off