E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help! Lost all top end power!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 12:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Etienne' post='578759' date='May 12 2008, 12:48 PM
Hi Andy,
On a previous car, this problem let to a turbo change (2003 E46-320D) after 150000 Km.
I don't see any easy solution so far, but of course, it's only my opinion.
I sincerely hope it's just a stupid stuff and that your worries will be solved at low cost.

Keep us informed.

Cheers.

Etienne
Eeek! Did you not have smoke billowing from the exhaust? The fact that I don't is one thing that's making me think (hope) that it's not the turbo. Also, I can see the pipe to the intercooler bulge when I rev the engine which I'm hoping is another good sign.

It's gone in today, so I'll post an update when they get back to me. (I hate threads that don't have a resolution at the end!).

Cheers,

Andy
Old 05-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Members

Ugh, just came back from our fleet repair people (Our fleet are all BMW) and they found a "boost pressure control" error in the computer. They've suggested I take it to the BMW stealership (I know they're the best, but they're bloody expensive!).

They did say that the car didn't seem that slow, so you never know, maybe they fixed it by accident!

I'd like to try disconnecting the MAF to see if that helps - does anyone have a nice easy to follow guide for doing so?

Cheers,

Andy
Old 05-13-2008, 08:13 AM
Members

A little bit of googling brought up this gem:

For a turbine to make boost pressure it is necessary a flow of exhaust gases to pass through it. It is the only way that the exhaust gases on a turbine-equipped engine can go out. So, exhaust gases goes out and the turbine rotates. If it rotates then it generates pressure in the intake manifold.
What the ECU (Engine Control Unit) has to do with this? Apparently nothing. ABSOLUTELY WRONG. Example: BMW 530d 2003 common-rail diesel engine with a lot of engine power loss. With diagnosis software I sow this error code: boost pressure control ? deviation. On actual value data it shows: at 850 rpm boost pressure was 1000 mbar, at 3500 rpm it was 2300 mbar. And the vehicle was standing still. On drive tests boost pressure raised very quickly and ECU forced to keep it at 2200 mbar by cutting out fuel injection (loss of power).
So, we come back to the basic: on low and partial engine rpm (not to be confused with engine load) the volume of exhaust gases is relatively low and the turbine generates a normal pressure between 1000 mbar-2200 mbar. On high rpm the volume of gases is very high and the turbine would rotate so quickly that it could produce so much pressure that it could explode the hoses and inter-cooler radiator.
The solution: deviate a part of exhaust gases from the turbine and lead them outside. Deviation is performed with the help from a vacuum controlled actuator. The vacuum applied to the actuator is controlled by the ECU through a vacuum control solenoid. To keep boost pressure to a normal operating condition ECU receives information from air mass meter, injectors, engine temperature, oil temperature sensor, air temperature sensor, gear selected (automatic transmission only), climatronic, pedal position sensor, etc.

The vacuum actuator on BMW was mechanical blocked in max. supercharge position.
Perhaps I should mention this when I take it in to BMW...
Old 05-14-2008, 04:44 AM
Members

Interesting update - the car came back, having not had anything "fixed" and it seems to be much better now. Maybe something they did inadvertantly fixed the problem?

I'm keep an eye on things and take it to BMW if it plays up again.....!
Old 05-14-2008, 07:24 AM
Members

My Ride: May 2008 530D "M" package Exclusive line.

Hi Andy,

Good news then (it's always nice without expense)
Old 05-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Etienne' post='580205' date='May 14 2008, 11:24 AM
Hi Andy,

Good news then (it's always nice without expense)
Alas, I spoke too soon! The problems back so it looks like I'm off to the stealership.

To be honest I'd like to take a lump hammer to the thing, but I doubt that'll help!

My bank manager is going to hate me.........
Old 05-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Members

My Ride: May 2008 530D "M" package Exclusive line.

Originally Posted by AndyPandy' post='580322
My bank manager is going to hate me.........
They 're paid to keep on smiling whatever happens

Good luck anyway

Cheers.

Etienne