E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HELP Engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 02:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 E60, 525dA Previous BMW: 2002 E46 318i
Angry

Hi, since few months I have a very serious and annoying problem with my E60 525dA: from once in a while the engine rotation varies for a few seconds .So bad, that the entire car is shaking and trembling very serious. This problem happens especially when the engine is warm but not only. I?ve been to BMW and other 2 services for this problem until now, but unfortunately while the tester was on the car, the engine run well and they couldn?t discover what the problem is. Two days ago I went to a service and I kept the engine running and I drove the car for 2 hours but again ?.the f?###%%%beep engine didn?t tremble and the mystery continues. They told me that an injector may be the problem but they are not sure. Does anyone know what can be the cause of this problem? I am sick and tired to go to service, pay the tester and leave without knowing what my car has. Thank you in advance!
Old 03-22-2009, 04:07 AM
Contributors

May look into a possible ECU problem, however, I would be suprised that the car is not displaying a fault. If your dealer cant figure it out, I prob cant, but here is some info on ECUs, not neccessarily BMW specific. maybe it will give you a lead and you can research the problem further on your own. welcome to the forums btw.

An engine control unit (ECU), or engine control module (ECM), is an electronic control unit which controls various aspects of an internal combustion engine's operation. The simplest ECUs control only the quantity of fuel injected into each cylinder each engine cycle. More advanced ECUs found on most modern cars also control the ignition timing, variable valve timing (VVT), the level of boost maintained by the turbocharger (in turbocharged cars), and other peripherals.

ECUs determine the quantity of fuel, ignition timing and other parameters by monitoring the engine through sensors. These can include MAP sensor, throttle position sensor, air temperature sensor, oxygen sensor and many others. Often this monitoring and control is done using a control loop (such as a PID controller).

Before ECUs, fuel injection, ignition timing, and idle speed were directly controlled by mechanical and pneumatic sensors.

Most engine systems have idle speed control built into the ECU. The engine RPM is monitored by the crankshaft position sensor which plays a primary role in the engine timing functions for fuel injection, spark events, and valve timing. Idle speed is controlled by a programmable throttle stop or an idle air bypass control stepper motor. Early carburetor based systems used a programmable throttle stop using a bidirectional DC motor. Early TBI systems used an idle air control stepper motor. Effective idle speed control must anticipate the engine load at idle. Changes in this idle load may come from HVAC systems, power steering systems, power brake systems, and electrical charging and supply systems. Engine temperature and transmission status also may change the engine load and/or the idle speed value desired.

A full authority throttle control system may be used to control idle speed, provide cruise control functions and top speed limitation.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Members

[quote name='craigm1841' date='Mar 22 2009, 03:37 AM' post='823618']
May look into a possible ECU problem, however, I would be suprised that the car is not displaying a fault. If your dealer cant figure it out, I prob cant, but here is some info on ECUs, not neccessarily BMW specific. maybe it will give you a lead and you can research the problem further on your own. welcome to the forums btw.

An engine control unit (ECU), or engine control module (ECM), is an electronic control unit which controls various aspects of an internal combustion engine's operation. The simplest ECUs control only the quantity of fuel injected into each cylinder each engine cycle. More advanced ECUs found on most modern cars also control the ignition timing, variable valve timing (VVT), the level of boost maintained by the turbocharger (in turbocharged cars), and other peripherals.

ECUs determine the quantity of fuel, ignition timing and other parameters by monitoring the engine through sensors. These can include MAP sensor, throttle position sensor, air temperature sensor, oxygen sensor and many others. Often this monitoring and control is done using a control loop (such as a PID controller).

Before ECUs, fuel injection, ignition timing, and idle speed were directly controlled by mechanical and pneumatic sensors.

Most engine systems have idle speed control built into the ECU. The engine RPM is monitored by the crankshaft position sensor which plays a primary role in the engine timing functions for fuel injection, spark events, and valve timing. Idle speed is controlled by a programmable throttle stop or an idle air bypass control stepper motor. Early carburetor based systems used a programmable throttle stop using a bidirectional DC motor. Early TBI systems used an idle air control stepper motor. Effective idle speed control must anticipate the engine load at idle. Changes in this idle load may come from HVAC systems, power steering systems, power brake systems, and electrical charging and supply systems. Engine temperature and transmission status also may change the engine load and/or the idle speed value desired.

A full authority throttle control system may be used to control idle speed, provide cruise control functions and top speed limitation.

Thank's for your information,unfortunatley i know what is an ECU and what he does becouse i had problems and i had to change it on my ex E 46. Regarding my actual problem ,I really don't know what to do. Now, in the last 2 days the symptom didn't acure again.I am thinking to send the car to service and to leave it there 1-2 days.Maybe the engineers will figure it out.Meanwhile,maybe somebody gives me another ideea.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:48 AM
Members

It was looking like a hard problem, some kind of NASA issue.Nobody could figure it out whats the problem was.....The cause of the problem was the air flow meter. It was to dirty and I just cleaned it with spray. Now the problem is gone.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i 6Speed.

Originally Posted by Extra' post='846774' date='Apr 14 2009, 09:48 AM
It was looking like a hard problem, some kind of NASA issue.Nobody could figure it out whats the problem was.....The cause of the problem was the air flow meter. It was to dirty and I just cleaned it with spray. Now the problem is gone.
Where is the air flow meter?
Old 04-15-2009, 06:00 AM
Members

search for terms: maf cleaning
Old 04-16-2009, 02:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport Package, Titanium Gray II Metallic, Wheel Style 124

I was going to say as a joke to clean your MAF Sensor... I'm a beliver that this worked wonder even though I had no issues and my MassFlow was super clean!!! But I think in my area in LA we had bad fire season last year so possible that pollution in the air dirtied my sensor.