E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headlights Are On During The Day, Why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.
Arrow

Since last Friday I noticed when I start the car during the day the headlights are on and they never shut-off when the switch is in the auto mode. Any idea why? This is happening when it's really sunny out there. Where is the sensor located for the headlights? Is this a sign of a problem with my adaptive headlights? Thanks
Old 11-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Living in Canada I thought you would know....Mandatory DTRL
Old 11-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530X, Silver Gray, Black Dakota, Premium Package, Cold Package, Park Distance Sensors, Steptronic

Just another example of the Big Brother bureaucrats thinking they know what's best for you and having the means to do so due mostly to the complacency of the public.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The following thread may shed some light on the situation (pun intended...):
https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=24934
Old 11-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Rudy may be on to something. Idrive settings or bad sensor (back of mirror, I believe).
BTW, DTRL are mandatory in Canada but not full headlight systems all the time. My 'auto' setting turns on the full headlights like its supposed to. Only DTRL cannot be turned off. Great invention--everybody can be seen all the time.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

My speculation when someone complains about the lights being on automatically in broad daylight is not usually that a sensor is bad. I firmly believe that the car is working as designed but against what's considered "normal" by most people's standards.

In other words, the car is taking solar position into consideration and turning the lights on when the sun's angle is low enough to possibly cause others to not see you as well if the lights were switched off. The old (but more commonly accepted) days of the simple on at dusk, off at dawn concept are gone. The way they do it now is much safer and, if you think about it, more logical.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1058022' date='Nov 18 2009, 10:31 PM
The way they do it now is much safer and, if you think about it, more logical.
+1 on the safety angle.

I feel safer when other drivers seen me coming and the greater the distance the better. And likewise for me seeing others.

sixcard
Old 11-19-2009, 05:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Rudy,

Thanks again for the info and you might be right about the solar position but my car started to do this last week. Yesterday I pulled into a shopping center around 3:30 p.m. my lights were on even thus it was sunny, on my way out there was another 545i parked in lane behind me. The owner was just getting into his car so I waited until he started the car and noticed his headlights came on but then 30 seconds later as he is driving behind me his lights went off and mine stayed on! That's what got me to believe that maybe I have a faulty sensor especially since this was happening around 3:30 p.m. and the sun was very bright....

Where is the sensor located for the lights.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1058022' date='Nov 18 2009, 10:31 PM
My speculation when someone complains about the lights being on automatically in broad daylight is not usually that a sensor is bad. I firmly believe that the car is working as designed but against what's considered "normal" by most people's standards.

In other words, the car is taking solar position into consideration and turning the lights on when the sun's angle is low enough to possibly cause others to not see you as well if the lights were switched off. The old (but more commonly accepted) days of the simple on at dusk, off at dawn concept are gone. The way they do it now is much safer and, if you think about it, more logical.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='1058272' date='Nov 19 2009, 09:16 AM
Rudy,

Thanks again for the info and you might be right about the solar position but my car started to do this last week. Yesterday I pulled into a shopping center around 3:30 p.m. my lights were on even thus it was sunny, on my way out there was another 545i parked in lane behind me. The owner was just getting into his car so I waited until he started the car and noticed his headlights came on but then 30 seconds later as he is driving behind me his lights went off and mine stayed on! That's what got me to believe that maybe I have a faulty sensor especially since this was happening around 3:30 p.m. and the sun was very bright....

Where is the sensor located for the lights.
A couple of thoughts...

First, it's not about the "brightness" of the sun, it's about it's position. A bright afternoon sun in the face of a driver can impede his ability to see cars coming the other way so headlights turned on is a good solution to that problem.

Second, we recently changed the clocks from daylight to standard time so at 3:30pm, the sun would be low enough for the car to activate the lights.

Finally, the position sensor is that little thingy sticking up from the center speaker grille in the dashboard...
Old 11-19-2009, 07:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1058326' date='Nov 19 2009, 07:55 AM
A couple of thoughts...

First, it's not about the "brightness" of the sun, it's about it's position. A bright afternoon sun in the face of a driver can impede his ability to see cars coming the other way so headlights turned on is a good solution to that problem.

Second, we recently changed the clocks from daylight to standard time so at 3:30pm, the sun would be low enough for the car to activate the lights.

Finally, the position sensor is that little thingy sticking up from the center speaker grille in the dashboard...

yes all good, but what about the increased carbon footprint due to the extra current the alternator has to supply? LOL!!! it takes about 3 hp to spin the alternator, when the lights are on it takes about 3.1 hp....assuming the lights are burning about 75 watts of power.....1 hp = 746 watts.

Quick Reply: Headlights Are On During The Day, Why?