E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headlights Are On During The Day, Why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Thanks Rudy, that makes sense! The only thing that got me going is the lights went off on the other 545i that was driving behind. Not sure why his went off and mine stayed on even thus we went in the same direction.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1058326' date='Nov 19 2009, 10:55 AM
A couple of thoughts...

First, it's not about the "brightness" of the sun, it's about it's position. A bright afternoon sun in the face of a driver can impede his ability to see cars coming the other way so headlights turned on is a good solution to that problem.

Second, we recently changed the clocks from daylight to standard time so at 3:30pm, the sun would be low enough for the car to activate the lights.

Finally, the position sensor is that little thingy sticking up from the center speaker grille in the dashboard...
Old 11-19-2009, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='1058352' date='Nov 19 2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks Rudy, that makes sense! The only thing that got me going is the lights went off on the other 545i that was driving behind. Not sure why his went off and mine stayed on even thus we went in the same direction.
Early on, especially on 2004 cars, I think BMW made some adjustments to the logic used in the software because the system was turning the lights on at high noon, etc. (My 2004 car did things like that.)

It's possible that the other 545 has a different software version than your car which might explain why the two cars acted differently...

If your car turns the lights on when the sun is bright and high in the sky, then you may need some software adjustments. Aside from the software versions, there is a dealer adjustable setting for the sensitivity of the automatic headlights. If your car is behaving strangely, it's possible that an adjustment to that setting was either already made or needs to be made.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by response_surface' post='1058351' date='Nov 19 2009, 11:30 AM
yes all good, but what about the increased carbon footprint due to the extra current the alternator has to supply? LOL!!! it takes about 3 hp to spin the alternator, when the lights are on it takes about 3.1 hp....assuming the lights are burning about 75 watts of power.....1 hp = 746 watts.
Response, not sure about your math. 75 watts equals how many lamps with urinalysis? (pun intended)

At any rate for how much will you sell your carbon credits when we get that cap and tax crap?

sixcard (AKA Jon, the old politico)
Old 11-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='1058378' date='Nov 19 2009, 09:00 AM
Response, not sure about your math. 75 watts equals how many lamps with urinalysis? (pun intended)

At any rate for how much will you sell your carbon credits when we get that cap and tax crap?

sixcard (AKA Jon, the old politico)

i think that an HID capsule burns about 35 watts. so with 2 running its about 70 watts right? so with neglecting mechanical and electrical losses would take about 0.1 hp from the engine.

did something change since i took my first thermodynamics class waaaayyy back in the 90's?
Old 11-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by response_surface' post='1058383' date='Nov 19 2009, 12:06 PM
did something change since i took my first thermodynamics class waaaayyy back in the 90's?
I'm pretty sure I remember hearing Obama say something about making some changes...
Old 11-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

My windshield got replaced over a year ago, does that mean the dealer had to reprogram the car? Where do I find what version of software my car has? Anyone knows if this type of work is covered under the certified series! Thanks

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1058357' date='Nov 19 2009, 11:36 AM
Early on, especially on 2004 cars, I think BMW made some adjustments to the logic used in the software because the system was turning the lights on at high noon, etc. (My 2004 car did things like that.)

It's possible that the other 545 has a different software version than your car which might explain why the two cars acted differently...

If your car turns the lights on when the sun is bright and high in the sky, then you may need some software adjustments. Aside from the software versions, there is a dealer adjustable setting for the sensitivity of the automatic headlights. If your car is behaving strangely, it's possible that an adjustment to that setting was either already made or needs to be made.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 550, Sport/Navi/etceteraetcetera

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='1057735' date='Nov 18 2009, 05:54 PM
Since last Friday I noticed when I start the car during the day the headlights are on and they never shut-off when the switch is in the auto mode. Any idea why? This is happening when it's really sunny out there. Where is the sensor located for the headlights? Is this a sign of a problem with my adaptive headlights? Thanks
Glass to my left disappears when I press contraption on driver door. What gives??!?
Old 11-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

My passenger side wheels turn clockwise while the driver side wheels turn counter-clockwise!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

sixcard
Old 11-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6spd

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='1058491' date='Nov 19 2009, 01:07 PM
My windshield got replaced over a year ago, does that mean the dealer had to reprogram the car? Where do I find what version of software my car has? Anyone knows if this type of work is covered under the certified series! Thanks
I had the windshield on the Z4 replaced and the same thing happened. The guy who replaced it simply didn't plug the sensor back in. Behind your review mirror cover there is a sensor that touches the windshield. At least on the zed you could just pull apart the plastic housing to get to it. I plugged it back in and problem solved. But it did the exact same thing - headlights were on at all times.

It's also possibly they put the incorrect windshield on your car (one which doesn't account for the rain-sensing wipers and auto lights). But I doubt it's this as I believe all 5's have auto lights.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

The rain sensor works fine on my car so I know this is not what's causing the problem + this issue started about two weeks ago were the windshield has been replaced for over a year and half ago!

Originally Posted by mnmike' post='1059372' date='Nov 20 2009, 04:32 PM
I had the windshield on the Z4 replaced and the same thing happened. The guy who replaced it simply didn't plug the sensor back in. Behind your review mirror cover there is a sensor that touches the windshield. At least on the zed you could just pull apart the plastic housing to get to it. I plugged it back in and problem solved. But it did the exact same thing - headlights were on at all times.

It's also possibly they put the incorrect windshield on your car (one which doesn't account for the rain-sensing wipers and auto lights). But I doubt it's this as I believe all 5's have auto lights.

Quick Reply: Headlights Are On During The Day, Why?