E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Have 530i from NY need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007 | 01:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 Black Sapphire 530i with beige dakota leather, cold and premium package and Navigation system

Hey, i just bought a 2005 530i and i love it, the only thing is that i live in NC and the car is from NY and i am really really really scared that the car will develop rust sooner or later, since it was probably driven in snow and ice, and i'm afraid of what the salt/snow mixture can do to a car. PLEASE tell me if the is something i can spray it with to stop that from happening or what else i can do to prevent it from developing rust issues.
Thank you!
Best regards David
Old 05-04-2007 | 02:48 PM
JPJ
Contributors

If you are worried just wash the bottom of the car really well. Spray a strong stream of water up into any openings to flush it out real well. You don't need to spray anything on it for additional protection. Modern cars have excellent rust protection from the factory, so really not a problem. I never see any BMW's with rust around here that are newer than the about the early '90's.

I'm from TN and my folks still live there. My parents will not come up "North" during the winter, but they were here at Easter one year when we had a late snowfall. My father got salt on one of his vehicles (not even my mother's E39 -- just a Trailblazer that he was only going to keep for 2 years). My mother said that as soon as he got to Toledo he was looking for a spray car wash to get the salt off of it. I know that in his mind it would turn to solid rust before he crossed the Mason-Dixon line!

You should have gotten the car I have -- I flew to Charlotte to pick it up.
Old 05-04-2007 | 05:43 PM
Members

Just keep the underside clean and make sure you do a good wash after winter. These new cars are not the rust buckets of yesteryear.
Old 05-05-2007 | 04:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 Black Sapphire 530i with beige dakota leather, cold and premium package and Navigation system

Originally Posted by JPJ' post='421199' date='May 4 2007, 06:48 PM
If you are worried just wash the bottom of the car really well. Spray a strong stream of water up into any openings to flush it out real well. You don't need to spray anything on it for additional protection. Modern cars have excellent rust protection from the factory, so really not a problem. I never see any BMW's with rust around here that are newer than the about the early '90's.

I'm from TN and my folks still live there. My parents will not come up "North" during the winter, but they were here at Easter one year when we had a late snowfall. My father got salt on one of his vehicles (not even my mother's E39 -- just a Trailblazer that he was only going to keep for 2 years). My mother said that as soon as he got to Toledo he was looking for a spray car wash to get the salt off of it. I know that in his mind it would turn to solid rust before he crossed the Mason-Dixon line!

You should have gotten the car I have -- I flew to Charlotte to pick it up.

Thats funny because i just drove to charlotte 2 days ago to get mine and thanks for the advice.
David