E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hankook not recommended by guy at Discount Tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 04:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Aharper,you did the right thing...cheap shoes always have a painful price to pay later.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by aharper
I ordered Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires (replacing Hankook V12) yesterday from Discount Tire, they will be installed later today so I'll report back tomorrow on whether or not they fix the problem I'm having.
I'm only aware of one other instance where balancing was such a problem as yours.A friend tried two different tyre dealers ,neither could solve the problem.Eventually,the second dealer decided to remove the tyres for further investigation and could not believe what was in each tyre - about half a pint of hydraulic fluid ! The suspect was a faulty air compressor that had injected hydraulic fluid when the tyres were inflated.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

Tires are known to slip on the wheel due to excessive use of tire bead lubricant during tire mounting. You should refrain from hard braking and acceleration for a couple of days after mounting. You can also mark your tires with chaulk to see if they slipped. Simply draw a line on the tire where the valve stem is located and check it a couple of days later to see if they slipped.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Pak

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Dude. Okay, you must have not read any of my [anal detail-oriented] threads on tires I've researched the crap out of this issue before I got the Hankooks. TRUST me when I tell you that there's no better tire.
Can you provide a link to your review? The search function is futile when it comes to tires.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by w84me
Can you provide a link to your review? The search function is futile when it comes to tires.
Take a look at this :-

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Ha...2-evo-k110.htm
Old 05-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Members

It's official, Hankook V12 tires = EPIC FAIL!!

I had 7 balances done by two shops (5 by Discount Tire, 2 by Harris Rim & Tire in Indianapolis (local shop)), $60 at each shop. 4 were road force balanced. 3 of those were with smart weight turned off. Tire sizes are 285/30/19 & 245/35/19. Twice I had a balance done and went back the following day to find the tires out of balance as soon as they were on the machine (weights still solid in place). I was so worried about all of this being out of place that I took the car to BMW to align the car as well ($225 w/ active steering).

I had Discount Tire put the Michelin tires on tonight and immediately could tell a difference. Absolutely NO shake, shimmy, vibration, nothing!! Perfectly smooth at speeds through 65mph or so (as fast as I could get on these roads, will know higher speeds tomorrow when I head out for work)!!

Other people may have different experiences but this was a serious pain for me. On my way to Discount Tire I had a vibration in my steering wheel and in my seat over 45/50mph, on my way home I had a perfectly smooth ride.

If I could have gotten the Continental tires I would have, they were on a national back order so I had to pay extra for the Michelins. In the end I'm glad I did just to get this over with. You definately get what you pay for.

Oh... worth mentioning. While having the Michelins installed tonight I asked DT to spin one of the tires with Smart Weight turned on. I was off by .25 on the inside and 1.25 on the outside. We then turned smart weight turned off and the weight requirements changed to .75 on the inside and 2.50 on the outside. Lesson - road force balance your tires and ask the shop to turn OFF the Smart Balance technology. This technology is in place to help the tire place save on the weights so hopefully this illustrates the benefit having it turned off.

Andy
Old 05-11-2011, 12:05 AM
Senior Members

Perhaps you will report back after a few days? By the way,do your rims have spigot rings fitted?
Old 05-11-2011, 01:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by 1600
Aharper,you did the right thing...cheap shoes always have a painful price to pay later.
meh... I don't know... I don't think Hankooks are bad. There's a hand full of people you and I personally know, who would vouch for them. I don't think it is that bad. Sure, if you can swing the extra cash for the Michelins, they are much better - no doubt. But hardly a requisite, IMHO.

Originally Posted by w84me
You can just go into my profile, search for my content, sort by threads I started and sift through that. It won't tell you anything new - Michelins are still best, if you can easily swing the price premium. Nitto NT05 best for track/street combined duty, Hankooks best for street summer, Continental DWS are best for all season. And I've never owned any winter tires, but I hear that Dunlops and Michelins make the best ones. This is pretty much it. I personally own the DWS's (it is my winter setup) and Hankooks (summer). DWS is a higher quality tire, but Hankook outperforms the crap out of it in the dry. PM me if you want to know anything specific.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:23 AM
Members

Drove in to work this morning and got to speeds over 80mph... no problems. You might get a decent set of Hankook tires but my experience is that the tires were terrible. Also, I couldn't find anywhere that said the Hankooks had a mileage warranty, and they are summer tires whereas the Michelins have a 45,000 warranty and are all season tires. You may pay 50% more for the tires but you get 100% more out of the Michelins in the long run, nevermind getting a tire that actually balances properly.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

"You might get ...........etc".Let's apply some common sense here ! Did you ask your supplier if they had problems balancing every Hankook Ventus V12 tyre that they sold? If they did ,they would not stock them.When I had mine balanced ,the weights were smaller on all wheels compared to the Continentals on my OEM 172M rims.Again,if the supplier were any good,they would return yours to the manufacturer for investigation and replacement.It is in any manufacturer's interest to supply a consistent quality product.Many members are running the same Hankook tyre with no problems and gladly recommend them on these forums.
As v_therussion has pointed out,you will not get a better summer tyre for the money.

Quick Reply: Hankook not recommended by guy at Discount Tire