E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Handles like crap in the wind

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 08:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also guys-its NOT the runflats or the AS-I have driven PLENTY of cars in high winds with RF tires and this day and age as much as people love to hate them-300 dollar performance runflats handle pretty darn well and you will not be getting ONLY wind problems but steady as can be with no wind due to run flats. If you are unstead at ALL timse then look at the runflats but if the car is steady at 130 with no wind, it is not the runflats.

Also as I read in previous threads, it makes NO sense for this to be an active steering issue-it may be a product of active steering INTERVENTION-which can be turned off by disabling dsc. Active steering does nothing more than cause less movement to be made with a turn of the wheel at high speeds. After 100mph it does no more adjusting-than it would at 140-it is "peaked" out at around 100mph as far as adjusting itself. Also in the wind it is the INTERVENTION which is part of the safety system where the wheel will help control the vehicle in the wind-which like I said can be turned off by disabling dsc.

But if this were an issue with that-then you would not feel the car swaying and being pushed around in the wind-rather you would simply feel it difficult to maintain a straight path. In the wind the car feels like its blown around and you do not have control.

Anyway this is NOT an AS intervetion, AS, or runflat issue
Old 05-25-2007, 08:21 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d M Sport

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='428030' date='May 24 2007, 11:51 PM
To be honest, this is one aspect of the car I am finding very disappointing. I've had my 525d M Sport for approaching 4 weeks now from new - car is fitted with 19" 172M's with non RFT's and without AS. During this time there has been more than a fair share of 'windy' days. On a calm day the car drives flawless with impressive refinement and stability. Introduce even a small amount of wind though and this all changes. I've even had one situation where I was struggling with the car at 65mph - granted this was on a very windy day. I am very used to driving long distances and have covered up to 40k miles in a year before now - so have a lot of motorway experience.

Surely there is a considerable design flaw somewhere for the car to be effected to this level. I have driven on the days affected observing vehicles in front, and as I have been blow from one side of the lane to another, I have seen cars that are 10+ years old 'bangers' that are completely stable. On one such day I even went back out for a drive, after returning home, in one of my other cars to see if the wind was so severe and guess what, no stability issues.

I still love the car but this is really unacceptable in a car of this value and reputation. The car is definitely worst effected by cross winds, and not so much by head-on or tail winds. Could this be down to the fact that the car is relatively large i.e. a large area for the wind to get hold of, but is combined with a relatively low kerb weight? I notice that the cars underbody is completely covered (with the exception of the exhaust / transmission tunnel) giving the underside a completely flat surface - I would have thought this would aid aerodynamics?
Manc lad myself and regularly do M61 - I agree completely about the handling in wind. Great on a calm day and buffeted all over the place when there is a crosswind. I am glad you had a chance to test with another car in the same conditions. I've had my E60 with 18RFT for 6 months now and just put it down to the new car sheen wearing off and extreme weather-obviously all those other cars I was watching whilst I was being blown across the carriageway were enjoying a much better ride.

Red
Old 05-25-2007, 09:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Jet Black/Black Leather/Bamboo trim Most Options 2005 SL55 AMG Black/Ash AMG Leather/Aluminum trim Most Options

Anybody know if the cross-wind problem exists with the E60 M5?

Bear
Old 05-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Banned

Yes as we established since M-sports, upgrades suspension and such does not effect it I would guess the M5 expieriences the same problems but I could be wrong but considering the body is quite similar I would guess so