E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Got my 535 yesterday -- now some questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up my '08 535Xi yesterday--could have gotten it a week ago but I was out of town (bummer).
Huge difference from my '06 530i.--you sure can feel the horses and torque. I can post pictures, but it looks just like the other Space Grays that are out there.
Some questions for the experts on this forum--not answered by the manual.
1) The '06 had something called 'puddle lights' under the outside mirrors that illuminated when the doors unlocked. The new car still has the lights, but they don't go on, and there is nothing in the manual about them. The manual talks about path lighting, activated by I-Drive, but this is not the same thing. Does the dealer have to activate these mirror lights?
2) The manual talks about "high-beam assistant" which automatically switches between high and low beams. I can't get this to work--is it an option that I apparently don't have?
3) When I open the drivers door with they key in, the warning gong can be heard in the next county. The manual says this can be adjusted in "volume settings" on I-Drive. But I don't have that. Is this also an option?
Appreciate the help.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

CTY - congrats on your new 535...I'm still waiting for mine to be shipped, so can't answer your questions but will be interested in others response to your post. Good luck and enjoy your new car!!
Old 10-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by CTYankee' post='485173' date='Oct 23 2007, 05:03 PM
Picked up my '08 535Xi yesterday--could have gotten it a week ago but I was out of town (bummer).
Huge difference from my '06 530i.--you sure can feel the horses and torque. I can post pictures, but it looks just like the other Space Grays that are out there.
Some questions for the experts on this forum--not answered by the manual.
1) The '06 had something called 'puddle lights' under the outside mirrors that illuminated when the doors unlocked. The new car still has the lights, but they don't go on, and there is nothing in the manual about them. The manual talks about path lighting, activated by I-Drive, but this is not the same thing. Does the dealer have to activate these mirror lights?
2) The manual talks about "high-beam assistant" which automatically switches between high and low beams. I can't get this to work--is it an option that I apparently don't have?
3) When I open the drivers door with they key in, the warning gong can be heard in the next county. The manual says this can be adjusted in "volume settings" on I-Drive. But I don't have that. Is this also an option?
Appreciate the help.
CTYankee welcome & congrats on the new 535
First off we never get tired of pictures around here so shine her up & snap a few.
With the key in the ignition, (so you can store your settings) press the start button
1) Puddle light; from the start menu press the i-drive controller once, this takes you to the i menu, select settings scroll down & select vehicle/tires then select lighting, in the lighting menu select 'welcome light' & thats it.

I'll research 2 & 3 and get back to you.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:19 AM
Contributors

Thanks for the reply, Phill. The welcome lighting isn't what I was talking about. Yes, when you unlock the car with the remote, the "pathway lights" go on. These are the taillights and the angel eyes. What I was talking about are the lights under the sideview mirrors. There are lights there, but they don't illuminate.
Hope someone can help with the other 2 questions, also.
Thanks a lot.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Congrats on the new car you are going to love it. One of the best experiences is learning how to use the functions again. So go and experiment until you find all the settings you like and have fun doing it.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:22 AM
Members

In the Setting for Lighting, make sure you have more than 0 seconds set for the Path Lighting. I have mine set to 40 seconds, simply scroll to it and then click to select and change. The beep setting is only to go on or off when locking or unlocking, I don't see a way to change the volume on it.

Congrats on the new car, pics??
Old 10-25-2007, 05:02 AM
Members

Make sure your interior courtesy lights are set to go on automatically. If the center light button over the rearview mirror is pressed for more than 3 seconds, all courtesy lights are disabled. That's probably what happened to you--dealer inadvertently turned them off. Just press the button once briefly and lights, including the outside mirror puddle lights, will illuminate when a door is opened. Can't help with the other 2 issues; try your SA.
Happy days!
Old 10-25-2007, 05:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by CTYankee' post='485173' date='Oct 23 2007, 05:03 PM
High beam assist is and option. If it is not listed on you options list, you don't have it. BTW, you're not missing much.