E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Got into a bad wreck last night

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 07:21 AM
gpt
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you're ok, frightening experience. I don't know if this applies but you may want to check the recall thread.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=28596
Old 08-09-2006, 07:22 AM
Members

Now my question is if the car gets totaled, how my insurance will handle this matter since I'm leasing the vehicle with BMWFS, hope there will be no complications or something even worse afraid to say
Old 08-09-2006, 07:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by w8pmc' post='320564
Glad you're ok, frightening experience. I don't know if this applies but you may want to check the recall thread.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=28596
I've seen it before and nvevr actualy experineced untill last night, telling you it wasnt joke car literaly got sucked into the right and didnt even try to correct the traction, it actualy felt like engine stoped running for a while and it was so quet while drifting then boooom boooom baaam and smoke all 4 windows were rolled down to prevent the trap I guess. Dont know what to think but for sure I'll be scared to drive it fast for a long time and shouldnt anyway.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

glad too hear you are ok! true, car can be replaced but you can not you should fight the ticket like the others have mentioned. good luck
Old 08-09-2006, 07:36 AM
sak
Members

Originally Posted by BMWN' post='320566' date='Aug 9 2006, 11:22 AM
Now my question is if the car gets totaled, how my insurance will handle this matter since I'm leasing the vehicle with BMWFS, hope there will be no complications or something even worse afraid to say
am glad that u are ok and nothing serious , i hv survived a 100 mph accident , i know how it feels. just like someone else said above , humans are not replaceable , cars are !
make a special prayer and thank God!
Old 08-09-2006, 07:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BMWN' post='320566' date='Aug 9 2006, 08:22 AM
I think BMWFS leases include gap insurance so that will help. Your bigger issue might be the ticket and to what degree (if the ticket stands) it might give the insurer a reason not to settle your comprehensive claim. They would pay third party costs but I'm not sure how it would work if you're given a ticket for negligent driving that in their eyes (and the traffic police) specifically contributed to the accident. I'd really fight that ticket asap. By the way - I'm assuming you don't have runflats on your car? Best of luck with this - must have been a terrible experience for you.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Members

My Ride: ED '07 530 soon to replace my ML500 previous: '00 540i6, '98 V70T-5, '95 318i, '89 Jetta, '79 Beetle Conv.

I am very glad to hear that you are OK, that is the most important thing.

But in my E39 I hit a brick in the road in the middle of the night driving my wife to the hospital doing every bit of 80-90mph. She was going into labor with our 2nd daughter. Anyway the car literally handled like a dream. Shredded one tire and bent two rims.

Complete control, hardly any drama, at least compared to the drama IN the car!

I changed the shredded tire with the full size wheel/tire (thank goodness for the "old days" - space saver tires are so low rent) and in three mins we were on our way even with other rim bent, it was holding air and we only had 2mi to go anyway.

Since I returned from ED I have been talking about handling issues with my E60 over at bimmerfest, and convinced that something is just not right with these cars at speed. The rear end just feels loose, is the only way I can explain it. Does not at all inspire confidence.

We leave Friday evening for an all night drive from NC to ME and I have just decided to NOT take our E60.
Between this possible rear strut issue (?), waiting for the SAS to fail, and possibility of getting stuck in a remote area where shops cannot remove/replace RFTs without rim damages, it is not worth it to take chances on my 10 day 2500mi drive. Especially since I drive the 1050 miles ea way straight through the night. Bummer.

Good luck on your situation, again, glad to hear that you are OK.
The make BMWs everyday, but there is only one "BMWN"
Old 08-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by BMWN' post='320566' date='Aug 9 2006, 08:22 AM
I think you will be out any down payment on the total lease amount. Assuming I am right, I hope you didn't have much down. I don't agree that the jurisdiction has no case against you because there were no witnesses. Skid marks are good evidence of speed. Also, results can argue for excessive speed, reckless driving, etc., in some cases. Finally, having a flat tire no way excuses you of any damages to your car or to anything else via your car.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Contributors

I feel your loss, but at the same time very glad that you're ok. A car is just a car, life is much more important speically when you have kids and a wife. Very very glad you're ok. Fight the ticket tho, its not your fault the tires blew out. I've lost 2 cars to crashes but both time walked out of it with minor scrapes and bruises, once was when my SUV rolled over from going over a bridge and coming down too fast on a dirt road. But again, i'm just glad you're ok.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:03 AM
Senior Members

Glad to hear you are OK!

The same thing happend to me and my dad (dad was driving) 10 years ago in our E34 525iA, speed was just as yours, 100 mph (160 km/h), and the rear left tire exploded (!!) - a horrible sound came and dad slammed the brakes and manage to keep the car under control.

Scary!! :'(

Handling issues ?? Our E60 is stable as a rock at speeds between 200-230 km/h!

Quick Reply: Got into a bad wreck last night