E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Got into a bad wreck last night

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 06:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
decided to share my experience last night as I was driving back home from hockey game with my cousine in front of me in his Maxima. He took off as soon as we hit the highway I followed him and couple of minutes later flat tire message came out, tried to slow down and felt something that was described as fishtail wobling and seconds later the whole car drifted on the right. There was nothing I could do at that moment so car went over the ramp then over guard rail couldnt see anything at all just entire life flashed in front of my eyes and my both kids with my wife thought it was it - the end. Seconds later car landed on top of a trees that prevent me from falling into a deep ditch, smoke or burnning smell start comming into the cabin so I rushed to poen a door and figured that car was hanging, so I managed to support my self by holding on branches and get out of that place. By then guy that was driving on opposit side turned around and came to help me out and called the police. Car was towed at 3 am with the help of a crane and towing truck took a while to get it out of a tree, cop gave me a ticket for $280 and charged me with Negligent Driving dont know how bad it is. What a night and full moon wife picked me up from the seen and saw a car and couldnt stop crying. All in all guys be carefull out there because after what happened I question bimmers stability on the road now I didnt like the way car behaved at that moment but it saved my life for sure and I'm glad I could walk out of this with couple of bruises and headache, again carefull out there guys and never again I'll drive like demon.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

Glad you're OK & remember cars can be replaced but humans can't.

What i don't get is why you got a ticket for $280 & charged with negligent driving. How the hell can a cop work that out just by seeing your car in a wreck. Surely a blow-out is hardly your fault.

This would never happen in the UK as far as i know & the police would investigate fully before deciding who/what was to blame & unless you'd been drinking (i assume you hadn't) then over here i doubt any charge would be brought.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by BMWN' post='320546' date='Aug 9 2006, 07:42 AM
Hi everyone,
decided to share my experience last night as I was driving back home from hockey game with my cousine in front of me in his Maxima. He took off as soon as we hit the highway I followed him and couple of minutes later flat tire message came out, tried to slow down and felt something that was described as fishtail wobling and seconds later the whole car drifted on the right. There was nothing I could do at that moment so car went over the ramp then over guard rail couldnt see anything at all just entire life flashed in front of my eyes and my both kids with my wife thought it was it - the end. Seconds later car landed on top of a trees that prevent me from falling into a deep ditch, smoke or burnning smell start comming into the cabin so I rushed to poen a door and figured that car was hanging, so I managed to support my self by holding on branches and get out of that place. By then guy that was driving on opposit side turned around and came to help me out and called the police. Car was towed at 3 am with the help of a crane and towing truck took a while to get it out of a tree, cop gave me a ticket for $280 and charged me with Negligent Driving dont know how bad it is. What a night and full moon wife picked me up from the seen and saw a car and couldnt stop crying. All in all guys be carefull out there because after what happened I question bimmers stability on the road now I didnt like the way car behaved at that moment but it saved my life for sure and I'm glad I could walk out of this with couple of bruises and headache, again carefull out there guys and never again I'll drive like demon.
Wow, I am super glad you all are OK. How fast were you going?
Old 08-09-2006, 06:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Orient Blue

Glad to hear you're ok! That is just awful and I wish I could say I was shocked by the cops behavior but sadly, I'm not. I'd try to take the ticket to court and fight it. Surely it wasn't your fault.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:54 AM
Members

Cops start investigating area and saw tire marks on the road and gras and made a conclusion that I was hauling which I denied. Honestly I was going about 100 mph at that moment so stupid.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Lotus Esprit V8 - Chrome Orange/ Magnolia, 5spd., twin turbo. 2007 Porsche Carrera - Guards Red/ Savannah Beige, 5spd., sport seats, nav, Xenons, 20 x 9.5/ 11.5 MHT Merlots, H&R sport springs, Fabspeed catback exhaust, more to come :) 2008 Mercedes Benz CLK350 - Majestic Black/ Parchment, 7spd. auto, P2 pack w/ nav. On ORDER: 2009 Mercedes SL65 AMG Iridium Silver/ Red slated for Jan '09 delivery! YAY! Previous rides: 1998 M3 4dr. - Cosmos Black Met./ Light Gray, 5spd. auto, fully modded. 2002 M3 conv. - Laguna Seca Blue/ Black, 6spd., stock. RIP :( 2004 525i - Orient Blue Met./ Black, 6 spd., Premium Package, 20 x 9.5/ 10.5 Asanti AF116s, H&R sport springs, 50% tint all around, 10K Xenon upgrade, Orion 12" sub/ amp/ cap in custom enclosure. 2005 Chrysler Crossfire - Alabaster White/ Cedar-Charcoal (Red/ Black) interior, 6spd., custom aftermarket Roots-style blower, custom CAI, dual 3" SS exhaust from manifold back , re-mapped ECU, 250.2WHP @ 8PSI, 12K Xenon upgrade. 2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8 - Reflex Silver Met./ Kristal Gray, 6spd. auto w/Tiptronic, bone stock :) 2007 Mercedes Benz E550 4Matic - Obsidian Black/ Charcoal, 5spd. auto, 12k Xenon upgrade (headlights & foglights), 20% tint.

Originally Posted by BMWN' post='320546' date='Aug 9 2006, 10:42 AM
Hi everyone,
DUDE THAT'S TERRIBLE ... Thank God you're OK ... You know, I live in DC and work in Rockville, so if you need anything (rides, whatever, etc.), PM me for my phone number and I'll try to help you out. Take care...
Old 08-09-2006, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Glad you're OK.
I'd fight the ticket. They haven't seen the accident happening so they can't blame you for a blown tire. Did you tell them the flat tire warning came on and you then crashed?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Mvious' post='320553
Glad you're OK.
I'd fight the ticket. They haven't seen the accident happening so they can't blame you for a blown tire. Did you tell them the flat tire warning came on and you then crashed?
Yes I told them that right before it happened flat tire warning came out. I'll go and fight the ticket then, they tried to put words in my mouth but I was firm and told them that Iw as going at normal speed.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by BMWN' post='320552' date='Aug 9 2006, 04:54 PM
Cops start investigating area and saw tire marks on the road and gras and made a conclusion that I was hauling which I denied. Honestly I was going about 100 mph at that moment so stupid.
sorry I feel w you and so happy you are ok, the car will be also.

Please do not blame BMW you admit you did 200% which is allowed and car behaived like that...so I do not want to be rude, and you of course did not deserve it, BUT please think of as something was wrong. Get the car checked if the fault is on BMW side you can make a lawsuit or at least discuss w dealer and HQ of BMW.

But if not, mate, sorry be more careful. (We all do stupid stuff hey we have a BMW true, but we must admit at least now we have only 1 life)...
Old 08-09-2006, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

I'd defo fight it. A blown tyre is not your fault & the Cop assuming you were speeding (irrelivant if you were or not) without any witnesses is just plain crazy & has to be contestable (is that even a real word).

Quick Reply: Got into a bad wreck last night