E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Goodbye 545

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson Edition 6.4L OHV Power Stroke Turbo Diesel V8 (350hp/650lbft) Blue Flame Package Dual Alternators Touch Screen Navigation + DVD Player Uplifter Switches Trailer Brake Controller Traction Control Rapid Heat Supplemental Cab Heater Rear View Camera Power Slide Moonroof

i understand and i would have loved to see those 0-60 and 1/4 times on video, that is pretty amazing. i wasnt trying to come off as an ass just when i first read your post took it a little to personal since i am soon to be an 08 535xi owner, and thought you were being a little harsh on the 535. it does deserve alot of credit for beeing just a 6, it is an incredible car. these forums are all in good fun, i learn a little more everyday from these topics. 545 535 and 550's are all amazing cars and i look forward to hearing further posts about your new 550. congrats

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='531722' date='Feb 15 2008, 03:24 AM
If you go by car magazines or BMW stats you are correct,but the actual world is a little different.BMW stats appear to be theoretical.all of their 0-60 times are actually 0-100 km times.Also they always show the standard shift to be .1 faster than than the steptonic.The fastest times for every magazine as well as by all owner tests show the steptronic to be consistently quicker to 60 and in the 1/4.This is because there is a gear ratio advantage with the steptronic.Car magazines test a car for 1 day and don,t spend a lot of time with test methods.I spent the better part of 2 years devloping the best method for acceleration tests.I had times from 5.60(poor start and unfavorable weather)to 4.78(perfect start in cold dry conditions)in my 0-60 tests.I don't compare manufacturer and magazine stats.Take your car to an NHRA drag strip to see how it and your driving skills match up to other cars & drivers.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson Edition 6.4L OHV Power Stroke Turbo Diesel V8 (350hp/650lbft) Blue Flame Package Dual Alternators Touch Screen Navigation + DVD Player Uplifter Switches Trailer Brake Controller Traction Control Rapid Heat Supplemental Cab Heater Rear View Camera Power Slide Moonroof

i have to see a video or proof of the under 4.8 0-60 and 13. whatever in the stock 545
sounds to far fetched for me
Old 02-16-2008, 05:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Originally Posted by too solid' post='532022' date='Feb 16 2008, 03:32 AM
i have to see a video or proof of the under 4.8 0-60 and 13. whatever in the stock 545
sounds to far fetched for me
I am sorry no videos available.I grew up when stereo and 8 track tapes were hi tech.My computer skills are limited.I do have time slips from the drag strip and would gladly post them if I could figure out how to do this.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

I really like the stock 550 rims now on the non-sport and the fact that you HAVE to take the aero package with sport is now either a blessing or a curse depending on your requirements.

Let's end the my car is faster than your car arguments guys - It's apparent that grogan has/had a very fast 545 - that doesn't mean all 545s are that fast nor are all 535s all that slow - the fact is that even the poor performers are relatively quick considering all things.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='532104' date='Feb 16 2008, 09:54 AM
I really like the stock 550 rims now on the non-sport and the fact that you HAVE to take the aero package with sport is now either a blessing or a curse depending on your requirements.

Let's end the my car is faster than your car arguments guys - It's apparent that grogan has/had a very fast 545 - that doesn't mean all 545s are that fast nor are all 535s all that slow - the fact is that even the poor performers are relatively quick considering all things.

Agreed. With so many variances in temperature, surface, rpms @ launch, engine health and manufacturing variances, driver experience/weight/skill, tire grip/pressure/rolling resistance, wind speed, elevation, fuel tank fill level, removal of excess weight (junk-in-the-trunk), etc - it's entirely plausible to have achieved such a result when all conditions warranted such and with "200 0-60 and 1/4 mile tests" under one's belt. It's rare, to be sure, but plausible.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by swajames' post='531592' date='Feb 15 2008, 12:44 AM
All due respect to Andy545 (and his time is a great time) but like most of us I doubt he's has the practice that Grogan and Znod put in and thus won't quite be at the same level.

To echo other posts - Znod and Grogan in their 545 recorded consistently faster times, over time, than any other member here is likely to achieve in their 550 or 535, provided we stick to stock vehicles.
all correct !

I wanted to make a point to solid that via the vid , my run was executed by just entering a highway from a curving entry, momentarily stopping, and flooring it. Stock, DSC and the like all untouched - which is hardly the setup of getting a potentially good time from a run.

Znod and grogan have by far superior experience with this, both from a standpoint of technique and practice !

and also agree with the other comments; when it comes to believing numbers, I'd rather trust facts from long time well respected members driving the same car as me for a long time rather than a magazine tester having the car for a morning...

as always: be saaafe !!
Old 02-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='532107' date='Feb 16 2008, 01:09 PM
Agreed. With so many variances in temperature, surface, rpms @ launch, engine health and manufacturing variances, driver experience/weight/skill, tire grip/pressure/rolling resistance, wind speed, elevation, fuel tank fill level, removal of excess weight (junk-in-the-trunk), etc - it's entirely plausible to have achieved such a result when all conditions warranted such and with "200 0-60 and 1/4 mile tests" under one's belt. It's rare, to be sure, but plausible.
Absolutley correct.There are so many variables that affect performance that it is possible to get fast & slow times with the same car.I have just run so many tests that I probably covered every possible condition.As someone said earlier"there are no BMW's that drive poorly".I ment no slight to anyones choice,only justifing mine.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Contributors

a magazine tester having the car for a morning? car and driver is one of the biggest most well known automotive review magazines in the world. they go through more extensive tests with each vehicle then the everyday driver like you ever could. each car is tested by professionals thoroughly to see just what the cars max potential is. and the numbers they state are very correct. so to say "I'd rather trust facts from long time well respected members driving the same car as me for a long time rather than a magazine tester having the car for a morning." is quite an understatement to make.

Originally Posted by andy545' post='532110' date='Feb 16 2008, 10:22 AM
all correct !

I wanted to make a point to solid that via the vid , my run was executed by just entering a highway from a curving entry, momentarily stopping, and flooring it. Stock, DSC and the like all untouched - which is hardly the setup of getting a potentially good time from a run.

Znod and grogan have by far superior experience with this, both from a standpoint of technique and practice !

and also agree with the other comments; when it comes to believing numbers, I'd rather trust facts from long time well respected members driving the same car as me for a long time rather than a magazine tester having the car for a morning...

as always: be saaafe !!
Old 02-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by too solid' post='532155' date='Feb 16 2008, 03:52 PM
a magazine tester having the car for a morning? car and driver is one of the biggest most well known automotive review magazines in the world. they go through more extensive tests with each vehicle then the everyday driver like you ever could. each car is tested by professionals thoroughly to see just what the cars max potential is. and the numbers they state are very correct. so to say "I'd rather trust facts from long time well respected members driving the same car as me for a long time rather than a magazine tester having the car for a morning." is quite an understatement to make.
C&D corrects their times - both up and down.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Contributors

exactly! they are very precise with their numbers. not just a car mag. taking it out for a morning.

Quick Reply: Goodbye 545