E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Good price on a used 2005 545i and some related questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a used 2005 545i. I saw a good one listed for 32,500.00 with Automatic, Nav, Sport, HUD, L7 stereo ...etc. It has ~19k miles, pretty low and still has factory warranty for another year. I have not bought a used car for a long time and I'm worried about it, do cars last a lot longer these days or all of the new tech make them more buggy? Anyway I have couple questions:

- What is a good price for this car (non-CPO)? I've seen posts where people say 30-32K for CPO is an OK price?

- I'll be using this car to commute to work (25 miles each way) mainly on freeway but sometimes busy hours traffic. How does it drive with stop-and-go traffic? I don't like powerful car that is not smooth in busy traffic (electronic pedal: push it in it slowly move, a little more it it will surge like a horse). 545 is a smooth/quiet on open freeway ride?

- If I decide to buy this car, should I bring it to BMW service center for checking and how much they usually charge for this kind of work? Can I request the vehicle's service history?

- I will also look into buying extended warranty and this will cost ~2000.00 for 4 additional years/100k miles (bumper-to-bumper + all electronic items). I think for a car like this, I will need it. What is your suggestion?

- I will need to add Ipod connection to it. Who made one for this car and is it easy to install? I don't want to spend 1000.00 just to get the Ipod connection. Does this car have AUX input? I can just live with this. It would be nice if you have an Ipod connector that plug to cd-changer w/o going to the back of head unit.

- Any major issue/problem areas I should look in this model (engine/transmission/electronics? I saw a recall and sounds like airbag must be repair? Is this just the airbag unit or the whole seats? Seat heater issues?

- What are main maint items to 80k? Oil/wear & tear items? Should I buy extended maint contract and is it worth? or DYI?

Thanks in advance for everyone inputs,

korg_em1
Old 09-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i - Black on Black, Maple Anthracite. Cold, Premium, Sport, Nav, Heads Up Display, Logic 7, Power Rear Sunshade.

Originally Posted by korg_em1' post='663814' date='Sep 7 2008, 04:43 AM
Hi,

I'm planning to buy a used 2005 545i. I saw a good one listed for 32,500.00 with Automatic, Nav, Sport, HUD, L7 stereo ...etc. It has ~19k miles, pretty low and still has factory warranty for another year. I have not bought a used car for a long time and I'm worried about it, do cars last a lot longer these days or all of the new tech make them more buggy? Anyway I have couple questions:

- What is a good price for this car (non-CPO)? I've seen posts where people say 30-32K for CPO is an OK price?

- I'll be using this car to commute to work (25 miles each way) mainly on freeway but sometimes busy hours traffic. How does it drive with stop-and-go traffic? I don't like powerful car that is not smooth in busy traffic (electronic pedal: push it in it slowly move, a little more it it will surge like a horse). 545 is a smooth/quiet on open freeway ride?

- If I decide to buy this car, should I bring it to BMW service center for checking and how much they usually charge for this kind of work? Can I request the vehicle's service history?

- I will also look into buying extended warranty and this will cost ~2000.00 for 4 additional years/100k miles (bumper-to-bumper + all electronic items). I think for a car like this, I will need it. What is your suggestion?

- I will need to add Ipod connection to it. Who made one for this car and is it easy to install? I don't want to spend 1000.00 just to get the Ipod connection. Does this car have AUX input? I can just live with this. It would be nice if you have an Ipod connector that plug to cd-changer w/o going to the back of head unit.

- Any major issue/problem areas I should look in this model (engine/transmission/electronics? I saw a recall and sounds like airbag must be repair? Is this just the airbag unit or the whole seats? Seat heater issues?

- What are main maint items to 80k? Oil/wear & tear items? Should I buy extended maint contract and is it worth? or DYI?

korg_em1
Old 09-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i - Black on Black, Maple Anthracite. Cold, Premium, Sport, Nav, Heads Up Display, Logic 7, Power Rear Sunshade.

Hey there,

I bought a used 05' 545 with 23K miles 5 months ago for $31,500 (non-cpo). They seem to be coming down a little in price I would try for $29. The car has been fantastic, I LOVE driving it. It's smooth in stop and go traffic, you can start off as slow as you'd like. My ride was a touch rough but I recently replaced the run flat tires and it's really smooth on the road. I believe the airbag recall is for comfort seats in this model. There were some transmission slam problems but they were corrected in April 04 I think. If you spend some time searching on this site you can find all the information you're looking for (I-pod etc.). If you're looking for a fun car to drive I don't think you can beat what this car delivers. The V-8 is awesome. L-7, HUD, I can't get enough...I think I'll go take a ride now.

Tim
Old 09-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your looking in that 30K to 32K area buy a CPO one. Why pay 29K for a non CPO and then spend 2K+ on a extended warranty that you may have issues with when getting repairs.? Plus then pay a delaership to check the car out. Not to mention a CPO car is usually(by good BMW dealerships) brought back to new condition. So many will have new brakes, tires, oil change, etc.. Plus by going CPO you shouldn't be without a car ever. Not uncommon that a simple repair can end up taking a couple days. CPO=Peace of mind. I guess what I'm getting at is your going to have about the same money invested in it. Plus if your doing a loan BMWFS has great deals on CPO cars. Interest rates at like 1.9% to 4.99% usually. No bank is doing better then that.

Your other questions............

Non-CPO I won't pay more then 29K and I'd get a warranty for sure. Not that these cars are problematic. But when issues do pop up the costs can add up quick. Yes get it checked out before you buy it.

Car is smooth in traffic.

IPOD there is different options you can go with. Do search on here as its been discuss to death on here.

Not really any one issue that stands out. Any recall issues I'm sure have been taking care of. Just do your homework like you would on any used car. CPO can take alot of these issues out of the car buying process in most cases.

Maintance on these cars are different. BMW states most fluids are for life. Which can mean many different things. Under there maintance warranty they only do work when Idrive tells them. To me going 15K+ before an oil change is nuts. With syn. oil I'd recommend 7500K to 10K. Personally my schedule is 10K. Send an email to Mike Miller at BimmerTQA@aol.com and ask for the Old School Maintenance Schedule. He'll send it to you right away. Some things apply and some don't. But you'll get a good education on BMW Maintenance.

Keep us updated on what you find out there. Good place to start is a search at BMWusa.com for CPO cars. You'll see a wide price range for very similar cars. These cars usually have quite a bit of play money in them. Some dealers like to try to make a killing on each sale and others rather move more volume. Some also just have more money in them then avg for various reasons. But bottom line is there is plenty $$$ to move on most of them and deal can be found on a nice CPO.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by korg_em1' post='663814' date='Sep 7 2008, 03:43 AM
Hi,

korg_em1

I bought a 2005 545i in june of this year through bmw CPO. It sounds like the car ur looking at has the same features...HUD, Logic 7, comfort seats, cd changer, etc. I paid 32,900 for it. I would recommend you only buy from bmw if u can get price in this range. Mine came with new tires and full service already done prior to sale (this will save u lots of money as the run flat tires run in the $300 range a piece). Also, you will get fantastic financing rates. My loan was 4.9% financing for 60 months and BMW financial paid the first two months!!! Unbeatable. The specials vary from month to month and by location. Also, that model does not have the auxillary input (atleast mine doesnt) and the whole interface costs about $300. Easy to install and there are posts on this website that show pics w instructions. Good Luck
Old 09-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 1diver1' post='663868' date='Sep 7 2008, 10:08 AM
Hey there,

I bought a used 05' 545 with 23K miles 5 months ago for $31,500 (non-cpo). They seem to be coming down a little in price I would try for $29. The car has been fantastic, I LOVE driving it. It's smooth in stop and go traffic, you can start off as slow as you'd like. My ride was a touch rough but I recently replaced the run flat tires and it's really smooth on the road. I believe the airbag recall is for comfort seats in this model. There were some transmission slam problems but they were corrected in April 04 I think. If you spend some time searching on this site you can find all the information you're looking for (I-pod etc.). If you're looking for a fun car to drive I don't think you can beat what this car delivers. The V-8 is awesome. L-7, HUD, I can't get enough...I think I'll go take a ride now.

Tim
Hi,

Thanks for everyone's inputs. Very helpful forum.

I've had two BMWs but they're 325 and Z4 and never own a 5 series or any V8 with RWD so I'd like to try it this time. I also found a 07 550i with ~30K miles and this is not CPO. What should be a good/fair price for it?

If it's ~5K more than 05 with same options, the 550 is also a good deal since it has all options/colors, steering wheels is better on 550. I also like and those 19" wheels on 550, they look way so nice.

What is your suggestion on this? 05 545 or 07 550? This is crazy since both cars are so nice. Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 1diver1' post='663868' date='Sep 7 2008, 10:08 AM
Hey there,

Tim
Hi Tim, thanks a lot for your inputs. I also found a very nice 2007 550i with 30k miles, very sick looking car. What is the good fair price for this one (non-CPO) with same options as 05 545i? The 550i has very nice 19" wheels, are the run-flat tires too? Should I go with 550i if it's not too much more? Both cars are really nice!
Old 09-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i

ok!it's a good price and a good car CPO'd u can drive them nuts after.
E60.net is here to prove it if u have what it takes.