E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Good driving position - over 6ft 5" / 1.9 meters

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 03:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any other tall drivers of E60 / 61 who can?t seem to find a good driving position in their M Sports ?

I?m 6ft 5 (1.9m) and either the seat is on the floor and I am reaching up to the steering wheel, or I have the seat raised higher up and bang my knees on the steering wheel. I just can?t get the right driving position set.

I read that the correct driving position is, straight back with arm stretched out in front, the wrists should fall on top of the steering wheel. If I do that my knees are under my chin !!!

Stange thing is that my 3 series touring (e91) 2005 model has a great driving position. And I bought the E91 to get more space / comfort.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530iA 04

Hi, i have 1.92m and i have i think excellent driving position even for 300 km for no stop.
Will do some measurments for dimensions later.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by protams
Hi, i have 1.92m and i have i think excellent driving position even for 300 km for no stop.
Will do some measurments for dimensions later.
I am 6'3" and sometimes find it hard to get a good seating position..... can never seem to get a good balance between seat/steering wheel position....
Old 04-15-2010, 04:35 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525d M Sport 2006

Originally Posted by higher
Are there any other tall drivers of E60 / 61 who can?t seem to find a good driving position in their M Sports ?

I?m 6ft 5 (1.9m) and either the seat is on the floor and I am reaching up to the steering wheel, or I have the seat raised higher up and bang my knees on the steering wheel. I just can?t get the right driving position set.

I read that the correct driving position is, straight back with arm stretched out in front, the wrists should fall on top of the steering wheel. If I do that my knees are under my chin !!!

Stange thing is that my 3 series touring (e91) 2005 model has a great driving position. And I bought the E91 to get more space / comfort.
im 184cm and i find it quite comfy, i think even if i was 194 i would still like it, coz i drive from london to newcastle every now and then, that's a 5-6 hours trip, and i cruis most of the way and sit back and relax ... its sorta tricky to find the best position but once u get it, u'll love it more than ur leather sofa

and it can't be better, unless u have massage button in ur car, which unfortunately i dont have i should think that its few thousands of pounds to add the massage thing, becoz that would mean changing the seats !

anyway, just keep on fiddling with it and u'll get it right at some stage, just dont do it whilst driving LoOooL
Old 04-15-2010, 05:42 AM
Senior Members

Firstly, do you have comfort seats? To me, these are an entirely different animal than the regular E60 seats. To be blunt, I found the regular E60 seats to be a joke as far as comfort (especially for tall guys like myself and you, im 6'5''). For me, a comfortable position was easy to find in my comfort seats.

I could not achieve any comfortable position in the regular seats, both when I was looking for my car and test driving some, and also when the dealer has given me E60 loaners with regular seats.

Finding a good seat position is a lot of trial and error. The trial and error period will be less on comfort seats in my opinion, though.

Good luck.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:43 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I am 193 cm (6'4") and I am perfectly comfortable. I guess it's a matter of adjusting until you feel good about the seating position. I think our friendly mod Iceman is also around 6'5" - he's a pretty big dude.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530iA 04

Good driving position - over 6ft 5" / 1.9 meters-bmw_e60_5_interior.jpg
So this is my best driving position.Did with my computer skills
I have standart seats and standart steering wheel.
Steering wheel is down to max and back for maximum.
Seat is down to max with front angle A 30 cm, and distance from seat backrest to steering wheel B is 92 cm, also seat it self is back C for 8 cm by rail.Hope it helps.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:08 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

The trick seems to be that you need to put your left leg on that pad over there....

Old 04-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Here is my technique for seating myself comfortably in an automobile.

- Adjust seat bottom to the lowest possible position, making sure that seat bottom is as flat as possible (not tilted towards front or back).
- Raise the front of the seat bottom a little, to prevent submarining (sliding forward) during a hard stop.
- Position the seat forward or backward as needed so that you can rest a foot on the dead pedal, as well as depress all your pedals fully (brake, throttle , clutch); make sure you can fully depress the brake pedal for an emergency stop.
- Adjust your steering wheel so that you can see all gauges through the steering wheel, tilt the seat back to a comfortable position for you.
- Adjust the the seat back angle so that you can hold a steering wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock comfortably, with elbows slighly bent; put one hand at the 12 o'clock position and make sure that you can reach that position comfortably without moving your body.; a telecoping steering column can help fine tune your seat back angle even more.

This is my favorite and most comfortable seating position. Others may find it too low, since I do not raise my seat bottom, other than tilting the seat bottom front up.

If you have to raise the seat height, make a fist and place it flat on the top of your head, with the knuckles towards the headliner. As you are raising the seat height, do not let the knuckles of the fist on your heard touch the headliner / sunroof (this is a safety buffer). Of course, re-check your pedal operation and hand position for 9, 3 and 12 o'clock.