E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Deal on a 550i?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 05:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking on here for a few months, learning about the e60. I'm coming from e46fanatics.com having been a member on there for a few years. I'm making the jump from an e46 330i zhp to a 550i sport. We have a one year old that seems to take up more space in the car than I anticipated. So, need the extra room of a 5-series.

I'm about to pursue a car I found after having searched for about 3 months(!). And, I wanted to run it by members here. I think it's a good deal, but wanted to get your opinions, as well.

It's a 2008 550i Carbon Black/Natural Brown with 14,500 miles on it. It has:
Manual transmission (this is a must for me)
Sport Pkg
CWP Pkg
Logic 7
iPod/USB
Sirius Prep
Navigation
Comfort Access (not sure if this was standard)
and Rear Shades

It's at a BMW dealership and it's a CPO car. It's out of state and I've only seen pictures - it's looks brand new. It was turned in off a lease - leased from the same the dealership and serviced there, as well.

The final price we came to is $39,000. Good deal?

Thanks and looking forward to joining the e60 family!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i

Originally Posted by ah1120
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking on here for a few months, learning about the e60. I'm coming from e46fanatics.com having been a member on there for a few years. I'm making the jump from an e46 330i zhp to a 550i sport. We have a one year old that seems to take up more space in the car than I anticipated. So, need the extra room of a 5-series.

I'm about to pursue a car I found after having searched for about 3 months(!). And, I wanted to run it by members here. I think it's a good deal, but wanted to get your opinions, as well.

It's a 2008 550i Carbon Black/Natural Brown with 14,500 miles on it. It has:
Manual transmission (this is a must for me)
Sport Pkg
CWP Pkg
Logic 7
iPod/USB
Sirius Prep
Navigation
Comfort Access (not sure if this was standard)
and Rear Shades

It's at a BMW dealership and it's a CPO car. It's out of state and I've only seen pictures - it's looks brand new. It was turned in off a lease - leased from the same the dealership and serviced there, as well.

The final price we came to is $39,000. Good deal?

Thanks and looking forward to joining the e60 family!

Is this car in NYC? I just took a look at perhaps the same one. I think that the price may be a bit high, unless it is the OTD price, then it should be ok. I know its a manual with low miles, so that may raise the price a bit, as manuals are apparently not as easy to find. But, I got my 550i with 32k miles six months ago with essentially the same options (less Logic 7, but with HUD)for 39.7k. Now, are you trading in your 3 series? Interestingly, I went to the same dealership before getting mine and they tried to lowball me bigtime on my 535i trade-in (got $2250 more where I got my 550i from). A week later they got desperate and wanted to give me 1k more for my car and lower theirs by 1.5k! But by then it was too late, I had already purchased my baby! Now, a few things to also consider: The price on BMWUSA website is at 43k and on Autotrader is $39,750, which means that they lowered the price, but I think that there is room for more negotiation. The car will soon run out of maintenance (unless you opt for the free maintenance portion of the Maintenance vs low APR, vs cash credit offer), She is a beauty though!!!! Its not as agile as a 3 series, but you will love it once you start the engine in the mornings!!! I hope I have have helped just a bit. Tony
Old 02-11-2011, 06:40 AM
Members

Wow, that seems like a fantastic deal. I would be all over that...My local dealer has a Black 08 550 with Sport, Logic 7, Cold Winter Package with 28k miles and they want $43k...
Old 02-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Members

Tony,
Thanks so much for the information - it is appreciated.

Yes it is in NYC, in Freeport(?). So, it's probably the same one you have in mind. I've been having a really hard time finding a manual 550i with low miles and with essential (in my mind) options I need. This one fits the bill and is my second choice of exterior color (I love Space Gray), and first choice of interior color.

I did find another one that has 28K miles, and is about $4,000 less. However, it's through an independent dealer and is not CPO. When I factor in that this one is CPO and BMW is offering 2.9% financing, it turns out to be a better deal. I'm just concerned that I didn't haggle enough with the price. Maybe I'm just tired of looking, and want a car - as I don't have a car right now. I'll opt for the low financing, as it will benefit me more than the $1,500 credit towards payments and the maintenance offer.

I already sold my 330i, so there is no trade involved. Makes life easier for all involved. Plus, I was able to sell my car very close to what I was asking.

Mephistopheles,
That's the price I've been seeing most low mile cars advertised at, when they're CPO cars. The dealers are charging a premium because of the CPO and because of the specials they have right now with CPO cars. However, when comparing to an independent dealer or private owner, it turns out to be very close. Factoring in the extended warranty and lower financing/credit/free maintenance gets you to where a non-CPO car is priced.

Thanks for the comments/opinions! If I do get it, I'll be sure to post pictures.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Contributors

That is a good price for a great car.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i

Originally Posted by ah1120
Tony,
Thanks so much for the information - it is appreciated.

Yes it is in NYC, in Freeport(?). So, it's probably the same one you have in mind. I've been having a really hard time finding a manual 550i with low miles and with essential (in my mind) options I need. This one fits the bill and is my second choice of exterior color (I love Space Gray), and first choice of interior color.

I did find another one that has 28K miles, and is about $4,000 less. However, it's through an independent dealer and is not CPO. When I factor in that this one is CPO and BMW is offering 2.9% financing, it turns out to be a better deal. I'm just concerned that I didn't haggle enough with the price. Maybe I'm just tired of looking, and want a car - as I don't have a car right now. I'll opt for the low financing, as it will benefit me more than the $1,500 credit towards payments and the maintenance offer.

I already sold my 330i, so there is no trade involved. Makes life easier for all involved. Plus, I was able to sell my car very close to what I was asking.

Mephistopheles,
That's the price I've been seeing most low mile cars advertised at, when they're CPO cars. The dealers are charging a premium because of the CPO and because of the specials they have right now with CPO cars. However, when comparing to an independent dealer or private owner, it turns out to be very close. Factoring in the extended warranty and lower financing/credit/free maintenance gets you to where a non-CPO car is priced.

Thanks for the comments/opinions! If I do get it, I'll be sure to post pictures.

Yes, we are talking about the same dealership/car. If you are comfortable at 39k then do it! it is very low miles and the carfax doesn't seem to show anything to be worried about and has the options that you want. You will not regret it! I just had my (space gray) 550i washed and it looks great after taking a pounding this winter. CPO and Low APR is the way to go, as with the maintenance, you may not need it, as everything on the car should be almost new anyways.

Tony
Old 02-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i (E60) - Titanium Silver | Black Dakota w/ Bamboo Anthracite | Sports Package | Premium Package | Steptronic | Navigation | Logic 7 Former: 1995 540i MSport (E34) - 6sp, B&M Short Shift | Dinan Intake | Dinan Exhaust | Dinan Chip 1987 325iC (E30) - sold

I agree...good price on the car in my opinion. I just purchased an '08 550i CPO in California for $40k with 10k miles (literally) that was bought and sold from the same dealership. They provided the service records (only 2) and the warranty inquiry report, etc... No HUD or Night Vision and no heated back seats or steering wheel just the front seats are heated. Great financing rates right now as well! Go for it if you like it!
Old 02-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by a42kracer
I agree...good price on the car in my opinion. I just purchased an '08 550i CPO in California for $40k with 10k miles (literally) that was bought and sold from the same dealership. They provided the service records (only 2) and the warranty inquiry report, etc... No HUD or Night Vision and no heated back seats or steering wheel just the front seats are heated. Great financing rates right now as well! Go for it if you like it!
Damn that was a sweet deal.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Members

That is a good deal for a CPO car with low miles and optioned like it is! Last month, I went from an '08 M3 with dual clutch transmission to a low mileage 550i similarly optioned. It wasn't certifiable because the first owner had Dinaned the 5. The dealer didn't put any value on the Dinan package, but it caught my attention! I paid mid 30's and I LOVE this car! I bet you will too!
Old 02-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Members

That's a good deal for a 550i with low miles and navi. Snatch it up!