E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Good bye BMW!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by zen68' post='831799' date='Mar 31 2009, 12:28 PM
Hey guys, he got some bad luck with the Bimmers so decided to try something else, no need to trash him.

To the OP, if you think the GS450 handles better, more power to you.
+1
Old 04-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

My grandmom drives a GS - she expressed getting bored with it. i think thats a durable car, good for everyday driving( hmmm..could be a good cab)
Old 04-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i, Silver Gray-Black Dakota, Cold pkg, Prem. Sound, Sport pkg, Nav, Voice Activation

I has a Lexus GS300 some years back. Nice but it rode like a Lincoln or Cadillac. Back then I traded it in for a 330i. I loved it for the 3 year lease. Replaced it with a M3 and loved that even more. After the lease ended I purchased a 545i daily commuter. Our family has 5 cars in the driveway, all German (BMW, MB, Porsche, VW-x2). If you enjoy the driving experience, a Japanese car will never work.

Point number 2: Take a look at a 5-10 year old Lexus versus the same for BMW. Yours will look like crap, the BMW will always be classic.

Poor guy, you've lost your mind!!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Members

All you guys need to stop bashing this guy.

Before my 545, I had a LS400 and a SC300. The LS handled like a boat and the SC was ok. Driving experience the BMW wins for sure. Reliability wise, I'm more than likely selling the BMW when the CPO runs out. My SC has 270k miles and problem free. As much as I love my Bimmer, I know for a fact I'd be lucky if the 5 went for half those miles problem free. Before buying the 5, I looked at the GS, but the selling pt for the BMW was the drive.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:03 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i, Silver Gray-Black Dakota, Cold pkg, Prem. Sound, Sport pkg, Nav, Voice Activation

"....but the selling pt for the BMW was the drive." Duh, isn't that what you do with a car?

I think the Japanese cars are great to lease since they are economical and reliable. As for the ride, there is no fun. And as stated earlier, they don't age well either. I saw my old GS300 ~1999, it looked like crap.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tallers' post='836033' date='Apr 4 2009, 09:03 AM
"....but the selling pt for the BMW was the drive." Duh, isn't that what you do with a car?

I think the Japanese cars are great to lease since they are economical and reliable. As for the ride, there is no fun. And as stated earlier, they don't age well either. I saw my old GS300 ~1999, it looked like crap.
Not always. When I'm 70, I won't want to take off ramps at 90mph anymore, won't wanna scare the grandkids sitting in the back. I'll want something luxurious that drives like a boat but is very reliable.

Hmm, logically, wouldn't we want to own something that is economical and reliable; and lease something that is high maintenance and unreliable?

Are you kidding? They age just fine. Bought myself a Honda Civic DX new for $9k back in high school and drove it for 11yrs until some drunkass (literally, a repeat DUI offender) mofo slammed into me from behind during the afternoon commute. It was in great shape until it got totaled. Then, I got the A4 and took great care of that car for 8yrs. Bottom line, the car is a reflection of her owner. If the owner doesn't know how to care for the car, it will age like crap.

But, we're talking looks here. Mechanically aging well...well, that's is going to be dependent on the manufacturer. No amount of TLC is going to keep poor engineering from falling apart.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Members

Thanks to the mature posters for not bashing me. To echo my last comment - I was venting. No one likes throwing money away, and in my case I feel that while Bimmers serve their purpose, lexus is the right fit for me.

my experiences may not be identical to yours, but whatever. NOTHING handles like a bimmer, active steering, sports package and a great set of tires. NOTHING!!!!! I realize that i'll be missing that exciting feeling of turning corners and not having my car tilt and the rear wheels still griping the road pulling me.

I am 29, love riding fast flashy cars, maybe it was a phase. I will be buying a home in the next few months and thought my bimmer would be nothing but problems down the line so i asked myself do i really want to own the car when the warranty expires? Do i want to live at the service center. Do i want to keep writing letters to the service manager just to get the nasty mold smell out of the car even after paying 200 to have a chemical injected in to the vents.... i said - nope that's not for me.

My criteria for a new car was:
No reliability problems
Lasts more than 100K (bimmers do this)
Has lots of toys - my new lex comes with 14 speaker surround sound, DVD VIDEO player, backup cam, rear shade, folding mirrors, touch screen nav, heated and ventilated seats, gosh the bag of tricks goes on and on... all the stuff i wanted my bmw to do, but i couldn't justify payin for it.
goes from 0-60 decently (5.2 aint bad)
The car maintains it's style - in other words lexus doesn't change it on me

i don't work for mercedes - they're worthless peices of junk. BMW's are cool if you lease them for 1 year or so. I am looking to keep my car for the next 10 years.

And toyota, ford pinto, you can call the car what you like - it works for me. I don't have to mess with the idrive! NO IDRIVE YEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHH!!!! I have a touch screen yeeeeahh!!!!!! Hopefully the new version of idrive can be upgraded on your current models.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i TITANIUM SILVER METALLIC 19 INCH RIMS SPORTS SUSPENSION SPORTS SEATS,DVD PLAYER,SPORTS STEERIN WHEEL, FULL ELECTRICS, REAR SPORTS SPOILER

Hey Good luck with the new car. I am impressed on the long list of cars you have already owned by such a young age 29

But to quote Tom Cruise in the Movie "Risky Business"

"BMW..THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE"

I'm sure he said BMW...LOL..