E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Gas Mileage as Advertised?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Jet Black/Black, Sport Package, Satellite

Greetings:

Have had my car for nearly 2 months now and absolutely love it....only minor things I have noticed are (1) engine seems to fight against me when I'm in Drive Sport mode and going between 20-30MPH and (2) more importantly, I do not seem to be getting anywhere near the 17 City 27 Highway mentioned by BMW....seems more like 15 City and 20 Highway, at best--with my gas bill nearly doubling from previous car and same driving patterns/mileage......anyone else notice this....I tend to almost always drive in Drive Sport mode--is that a factor?
Old 05-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by elchevere' date='May 9 2005, 02:27 PM
Greetings:

Have had my car for nearly 2 months now and absolutely love it....only minor things I have noticed are (1) engine seems to fight against me when I'm in Drive Sport mode and going between 20-30MPH and (2) more importantly, I do not seem to be getting anywhere near the 17 City 27 Highway mentioned by BMW....seems more like 15 City and 20 Highway, at best--with my gas bill nearly doubling from previous car and same driving patterns/mileage......anyone else notice this....I tend to almost always drive in Drive Sport mode--is that a factor?
[snapback]126210[/snapback]
Yes, driving in Sport mode will definitely lower your gas mileage! Driving in DS, your car will NOT go into 6 gear (overdrive) at highway speeds, therefore you are running a higher RPM on the highway.

That is one factor. I assume you keep your tires properly inflated. And are your numbers coming from the onboard computer or are you calculating the old fashioned way when you fill up? The onboard computer is noted for not being very accurate.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Jet Black/Black, Sport Package, Satellite

Thanks....my next question becomes, why/when should I drive in Sport mode?
Old 05-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I'm getting ~24 MPG, confirmed through both computer -and- my own computations. That's on an engine that's still breaking in and I've got to travel in 4th and 5th gear a lot when I should be in 6th, just so I can vary my engine speeds on the highway during break-in. I'm pretty confident I'll average high 20s which is advertised for my car and transmission combination.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by elchevere' date='May 9 2005, 01:27 PM
Greetings:

I used to drive around town in DS almost exclusively, but after having software updated to 16.2, I have gone back to driving in D all the time because the acceleration is so much improved. I still use DS when I need to be a bit more agressive. My MPG around town seems to hover around 18, but I do drive pretty hard. On the highway, with cruise on at just about any speed, I get closer to 30 mpg.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='May 9 2005, 04:39 PM
[quote name='elchevere' date='May 9 2005, 02:27 PM']Greetings:

Yes, driving in Sport mode will definitely lower your gas mileage! Driving in DS, your car will NOT go into 6 gear (overdrive) at highway speeds, therefore you are running a higher RPM on the highway.

That is one factor. I assume you keep your tires properly inflated. And are your numbers coming from the onboard computer or are you calculating the old fashioned way when you fill up? The onboard computer is noted for not being very accurate.
[snapback]126220[/snapback]
[/quote]

BUT.....you can actually shift "manually" into 6th gear while in sport mode.
I keep mine is sport mode on the highway, manually shift to 6th when up to cruising speed and then just slap it to normal and back to sport when I need to start slowing down or when exiting the freeway etc...
Old 05-09-2005, 01:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by elchevere' date='May 9 2005, 10:42 PM
Thanks....my next question becomes, why/when should I drive in Sport mode?
[snapback]126223[/snapback]
I never drive in sport mode
Old 05-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='May 9 2005, 02:39 PM
[quote name='elchevere' date='May 9 2005, 02:27 PM']Greetings:

[snapback]126220[/snapback]
[/quote]

With CIP 16.2, DS shifts to 6th on Highway. Believe me. It did not in when I had CIP 13.2 loaded. I think it's cool.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:23 PM
Senior Members

i'll p/u my car very soon and it'll have 16.2. for the ones who are driving with 16.2, some had the lag problem before, do you drive more aggresive in d mode or normal as usual in order to have the car to adapt your driving style? i don't want this problem comes back due to my driving style . of course i hope these two are not related.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by my530i' date='May 9 2005, 05:03 PM
With CIP 16.2, DS shifts to 6th on Highway. Believe me. It did not in when I had CIP 13.2 loaded. I think it's cool.
[snapback]126336[/snapback]
Interesting! Now that I think about it, I don't think I've used DS on the highway since my upgrade back in January to 15.0. I'll have to try it again...

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage as Advertised?????