E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GAS CAP IS OPEN

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.
Smile

This afternoon as soon as I left my driveway the following message came up on the dashboard and the iDrive "GAS CAP IS OPEN", I pulled over and checked to make sure the cap is closed properly which it was. I opened it and closed it again and made sure that I heard the click at the end. Started the car and drove off and right away the message came back so I kept driving, few kilometers and the message went away and all systems where cleared as you can see in the attached photos. After my meeting which took about 45 minutes went back in the car and the same thing happened, the message came on and then went away with all systems OK. What do you think is going on? I tell you, I've noticed twice that everytime I bring the car to the Stealer problems start to rise when I get the car back. I'm wondering what the hell is going on????
Attached Thumbnails GAS CAP IS OPEN-img00001_20081023_1634.jpg   GAS CAP IS OPEN-img00003_20081023_1842.jpg  
Old 10-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='701610' date='Oct 23 2008, 06:56 PM
This afternoon as soon as I left my driveway the following message came up on the dashboard and the iDrive "GAS CAP IS OPEN", I pulled over and checked to make sure the cap is closed properly which it was. I opened it and closed it again and made sure that I heard the click at the end. Started the car and drove off and right away the message came back so I kept driving, few kilometers and the message went away and all systems where cleared as you can see in the attached photos. After my meeting which took about 45 minutes went back in the car and the same thing happened, the message came on and then went away with all systems OK. What do you think is going on? I tell you, I've noticed twice that everytime I bring the car to the Stealer problems start to rise when I get the car back. I'm wondering what the hell is going on????
I think you've got a faulty gas cap or some other emissions related problem. Take the picture to your SA and ask they verify any codes retained by the computer, perform a complete emissions inspection, and correct any problems (without adding any to those that already exist).

The (Canadian) Government takes vehicle emission problems seriously - I hope BIG BROTHER is away at dinner whilst I type!

BTW, in the USA Emissions-related issues are covered for a longer period of time / miles than the standard vehicle warranty - I think the same is true in Canada too. So this may be handled by warranty - check your owners manual.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.
Smile

How would I know if it is a emission issue or the gas cap without visit my Stealer? In the last couple of months I've been visit them quite often and it is becoming quite expensive.

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='701620' date='Oct 23 2008, 07:04 PM
I think you've got a faulty gas cap or some other emissions related problem. Take the picture to your SA and ask they verify any codes retained by the computer, perform a complete emissions inspection, and correct any problems (without adding any to those that already exist).

The (Canadian) Government takes vehicle emission problems seriously - I hope BIG BROTHER is away at dinner whilst I type!

BTW, in the USA Emissions-related issues are covered for a longer period of time / miles than the standard vehicle warranty - I think the same is true in Canada too. So this may be handled by warranty - check your owners manual.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='701652' date='Oct 23 2008, 08:13 PM
How would I know if it is a emission issue or the gas cap without visit my Stealer? In the last couple of months I've been visit them quite often and it is becoming quite expensive.
Find someone who can check for stored codes ... but the common code readers aren't always able to pull BMW-specific codes.

You might call your SA, you should be on a first-name basis by now, and hint at a emissions problem. Maybe they'll be willing to provide one courtesy inspection for a regular-paying customer.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I would buy the gas cap first. it's only $10 or so and see if that solves the issue...
Old 10-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='701670' date='Oct 23 2008, 07:34 PM
I would buy the gas cap first. it's only $10 or so and see if that solves the issue...
+1 It is most likely the gas cap.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Broken sensor - to the dealers, I'm afraid.