E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Friends don't let friends drive their e60....

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I agree about the in love with an inanimate object part -- it's quite sad but hey, what can I say?

One thing that I don't do is let anyone actually borrow the car -- if I let someone drive it, it's so that they can feel the awesomeness of this beast but it only happens if I'm there riding along...
Old 12-20-2005, 08:00 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

ro11dice! Dude, that freakin sucks!!! It hurts me to see your car like that, especially after you just got the wheels too....I can only imagine how you must feel. Sorry to hear the bad news....

Looking at the pictures, I still can't believe it. I know he's your friend but I would milk him (or his insurance) for mental and emotional damages as well. Hard to put a price on that kind of injury...well, maybe a new M-Tech Kit, Radenergie wheels, coilovers, exhaust, intake and chip tuning....but ONLY maaaaaybeee....

BTW, in talking with CoolTones, we'll most likely put off the next Bay Area meet till Feb so you should have your baby back by then.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:16 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -04 530D

I have spend maybe more to my car (bc tax) than half in here, but still it's only a car! My wife I don't borrow/let use, E60 to some who I respect and trust as well as money.

As good/nice/great it is, it's only a car. Nice one, but why I should not share my pleasure? OK wife can be pleasure too (seldom ) but I will not share her.

Skaffa
Old 12-20-2005, 08:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Alpine White/Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic Automatic, Premium Package, Active Steering, Xenon Adaptive Headlights with Dynamic Auto-Leveling Production On 05/2005 Purchased On 07/2005

Originally Posted by ro11dice' post='212977' date='Dec 18 2005, 06:27 PM
I let my "friend" drive my e60 and he was driving pretty agressive but within in control...or so I thought. He managed to slide on a hard right turn and hit a center median (with shrubs) on a city street. We ended up hitting the 4-5 inch median and up over it. At some point the wheels weren't touching the ground and it was the underside scrapping along. We ended up on the other side of the street facing oncoming traffic. Luckily, there was no oncoming traffic and no other vehicle was involved.

From the looks of it, 3 wheels are busted, 2 tires are flat, and no considerable body damage. However, the shop has not put it up in the air to see what damage has occurred on the underside. Left tie rod and ball joint are busted as the pictures below show.

3 months and 8 days of ownership to the day in my new e60 (last Friday ). Only two weeks on the new wheels. Without saying, his insurance will be picking up the tab on this one. I'm still somewhat can't believe this has happened. I'm hoping that after all the work is done rebuilding her she'll be good as new. Wishful thinking?!?

Ackkkk that sucks. Sorry to see what this world is coming down to!!!
Old 12-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='213614
I view my car much like I do my underwear. MINE and mine alone. Don't ask to borrow them.
- Pete
lawguy, i drive my wife's car but that doesn't mean i wear her underwear

yeah, i forgot to mention, having the forum has helped me get through this too. many thanks
Old 12-21-2005, 12:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

accidents happen. Thats why theyre called accidents!
Old 12-21-2005, 09:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by ro11dice' post='213250
Off the topic, ro11dice, I love your avatar picture! That looks just like my little boy!
tab545, that's my little girl!

[/quote]

Cute little girl!
Old 12-21-2005, 10:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

yup a cutie!
Old 12-22-2005, 09:53 AM
SDS
Members

My Ride: 2006 530 xi, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Leather,poplar grain wood trimi, prem. pkg., prem. sound pkg., cold weather pkg., steptronic auto. trans., front comfort seats, split folding rear seats w/ski bag,rear heated seating, power rear sunshade and manual rear side window shades, park distance control, BMW on-board navigation system and satellite radio.
Thumbs down

I can't imagine someone being so risky with someone else's NEW car !!!!! Is your friend always such an ass or did the awesome drive take him to another level of consciousness?
Old 12-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Originally Posted by ro11dice' post='213673
ro11dice! Dude, that freakin sucks!!! It hurts me to see your car like that, especially after you just got the wheels too....I can only imagine how you must feel. Sorry to hear the bad news....

Looking at the pictures, I still can't believe it. I know he's your friend but I would milk him (or his insurance) for mental and emotional damages as well. Hard to put a price on that kind of injury...well, maybe a new M-Tech Kit, Radenergie wheels, coilovers, exhaust, intake and chip tuning....but ONLY maaaaaybeee....

BTW, in talking with CoolTones, we'll most likely put off the next Bay Area meet till Feb so you should have your baby back by then.

EuroCarFan, yeah reality has been setting in with each passing day and each conversation w/ the BMW SA and insurance adjuster. I keep on going back and forth with the misery levels but try to hang on to the important facts, no one was hurt and she's "only" a car even though i call her a "she". It puts things in perspective esp. during the holidays. I could be typing this from the hospital.

Feb sounds good. Don't know what shoes she'll have on her though.

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='213600' date='Dec 20 2005, 08:13 AM
I view my car much like I do my underwear. MINE and mine alone. Don't ask to borrow them.
- Pete
lawguy, i drive my wife's car but that doesn't mean i wear her underwear

yeah, i forgot to mention, having the forum has helped me get through this too. many thanks
[/quote]

Ro11dice!

Man am I sorry to hear about what happened to your E60.
I'm glad that I was sitting down when I saw the photos. Those are (or were) nice rims.
But, as others have already said, FRIENDS are more important than any material item....
You truly are a good friend -- I'm sure he didn't expect this to happen. Seeing your E60 still hurts though.

We'll (EuroCarFan and I) will set up our next meet and greet some time in February. We'll celebrate the "rebirth" (or maybe /M-Aero Facelift?!?) of your E60 then.

Take care, Buddy.
-CoolTones

Quick Reply: Friends don't let friends drive their e60....