E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Freaked out....how good is stock alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by turboawd
if you take the pyshical key and put it in the keyslot on the trunk, you turn it either right or left (cant remember), and remove the key when its in that position. the trunk will only open with the key then... the inside button, outside button, and remote button are disabled.

read the manual
Bingo...
Old 11-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Or just get a trunk finisher - no more access to the trunk key hole

"trunk key hole" - why does that sound dirty?
Old 11-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Members

sorry for jacking your thread, but i've always had a question that seems on topic,

if the car alarm is armed and somebody breaks into it, will the trunk be "locked." will pressing the truck open button in the car open the trunk? tried to find out through the manual and nothing. just wanted to see if my belongs in the trunk were safe. thanks for any info you can offer....

dc
Old 11-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Originally Posted by Rudy
The valet key is simply one of the "regular" keys minus the "integrated key". In other words, you lock your trunk and glove box with the metal key and give the valet the remote without the metal key part and you're safe from valet pilfering...
I don't believe there is a valet key for the e60, when I went to buy a second key for my 2004 545, there were only two options, the regular key or the plastic spare key. The spare key will open any lock the regular key opens and will also start the car. Same thing for my 2008 550, only the full integrated key, or the spare. Now my e39 did have the valet key option. Maybe a valet key is a thing of the past.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by djdc78
sorry for jacking your thread, but i've always had a question that seems on topic,

if the car alarm is armed and somebody breaks into it, will the trunk be "locked." will pressing the truck open button in the car open the trunk? tried to find out through the manual and nothing. just wanted to see if my belongs in the trunk were safe. thanks for any info you can offer....

dc
If your trunk is not independently locked then the trunk can be opened via the release button in the inside.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by djdc78

dc
why dont you lock yourself in the car, and press the trunk button, and find out?
Old 11-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by mookish
I don't believe there is a valet key for the e60, when I went to buy a second key for my 2004 545, there were only two options, the regular key or the plastic spare key. The spare key will open any lock the regular key opens and will also start the car. Same thing for my 2008 550, only the full integrated key, or the spare. Now my e39 did have the valet key option. Maybe a valet key is a thing of the past.
Believe it or not, there is a valet key for the E60 -- regardless of it's year. On the older style cars, the plastic "wallet" key would not unlock the trunk nor the glove box so it was able to be used as a valet key. On the new style cars (with the "integrated key"), you simply lock the glove box and trunk and remove the metal key from the fob. Hand the fob (without the metal key) over to the valet and you're good to go.

Please don't make me copy/paste excerpts from the owner's manuals...
Old 11-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy
Believe it or not, there is a valet key for the E60 -- regardless of it's year. On the older style cars, the plastic "wallet" key would not unlock the trunk nor the glove box so it was able to be used as a valet key. On the new style cars (with the "integrated key"), you simply lock the glove box and trunk and remove the metal key from the fob. Hand the fob (without the metal key) over to the valet and you're good to go.

Please don't make me copy/paste excerpts from the owner's manuals...
First, the plastic wallet key on the e39 WILL open the trunk or glove box, I've done it several times. But there is a separate valet key that you can order. Second what you're saying about the e60 is to remove the integrated metal key and hand the valet guy just the fob? Um, that is not a valet key, that is the regular key, fob only, and the valet guy can just press the trunk release button on the fob and the trunk is wide open. That trick will work for the glove box, but not the trunk. Please post from the manual and prove me wrong.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mookish
That trick will work for the glove box, but not the trunk. Please post from the manual and prove me wrong.
good question, as e60 m5's come with trunk finishers standard and can't manually lock their trunks because the key hole is unaccessible. how do they prevent valet's from rummaging through their trunk?

dc
Old 11-04-2010, 04:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by tuffluck
you're not being violated if someone looks in your car unless you left nude pictures of your wife or (if you're brett favre) of yourself lying around. you guys obviously don't live in the heart of a city. people look in cars all the time, if for nothing else than to just see what a bmw interior looks like. maybe something caught their eye they want to steal, but just looking in doesn't make them guilty of anything.

unless someone starts touching your car or trying to open doors/trunks, or unless you find your car broken into, you should not feel violated at all. in fact, if someone is touching my car or trying to open doors/trunks but cannot, i wouldn't even care. your car LOCKS for a reason--to keep violators out. if you're concerned about people touching, looking, brushing up against, or occasionally trying to open your car, you should probably not own a car at all and consider alternative methods of travel such as horse, bike, skateboard, or subway.
We are from the city, and people walking by and looking in your car is one thing, people stopping in front of your house, walking down your driveway and looking in your car and then running back into the car and bolting is another. Thats not friendly nosyness, that is going on private property and at that time at night it seems nothing good is intended. Ive had several cars broken into right in my driveway, and that alone in itself feels "violating".. Plain and simple they shouldnt be on your property install some flood lights, and just be aware more. I think weve all established here that basically anything can get broken into, stolen, etc if its wanted badly enough. Just watch your back lately dude

Quick Reply: Freaked out....how good is stock alarm?