E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Freaked out....how good is stock alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys I am very freaked out right now I was finishing up some work getting ready to sleep when I heard strange noise outside...I look outside and I see someone NEAR MY CAR! WTF the driveway is long and its so cold outside..I ran down the stairs and turned on the floodlights I see the person run down the driveway and a car was parked at the end of the driveway and I see it drive away!

I pressed the trunk button and turned my alarm on just to make sure its working and I went outside and put the car in the garage. Car is fine nothing wrong but I think I am being watched.

A week ago I was going to school and I was pulling out of my driveway I saw this old civic green in color drive slowly by and I see the driver looking at my car. I come back I see the same car parked down the street. I also saw it this weekend but its not one of the neighbors car!!!!

Can these cars be stolen? Am I being paranoid? I was just PMing some E60 members asking about some new things I was getting for my car! If I was asleep and did not hear noise??
Old 11-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Just call your local precinct, give them the car's license plate and ask them to send a squad car to come check it out... oh, never mind, you're in NYm so just get your baseball bat and make sure your boys got your back with some real firepower

j/k

dude, just be sure that you and your family are safe, keep an eye out for the suspicious characters and have the precinct's number on your speed-dial. Seriously, who cares - the car is insured. Anything happens to it - you'll get a better one... or maybe its the feds? Did you piss someone off at school and they reported you as a terror suspect? Maybe its the "klan"? its Germans! aliens? Legal or not?

iono, I really hope everything is safe with you and yours and that you're just a paranoid schitzo
Old 11-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Senior Members

. Thanks for the laugh V...I really hope its nothing.

Even though my car is kinda completely stock I love it so much. Most of my family and friends think I am crazy and I really am. I usually check my car 2-3 times a day to make sure I did not receive a ding or a scratch. I am SO PARANOID about every little thing bout it...I take care of it more then I take care of myself sometimes

Lastly before I go to bed ...Its the feeling that you have been violated is what irks me the most. When my car was keyed in the summer I felt like I was violated. I was at a party and many E60s at the party but someone knew which car was mine and took the time to key it. Thats why I am so paranoid!
Old 11-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

you're probably a little too young to understand this, but the more you hang onto something, the less you're likely to keep it... its a weird rule of life, but it just seems to work no matter what. Like that bitch Karma
Old 11-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

Originally Posted by v_therussian
you're probably a little too young to understand this, but the more you hang onto something, the less you're likely to keep it... its a weird rule of life, but it just seems to work no matter what. Like that bitch Karma
i gotta agree. i love my e60 now but you should have saw me when i had my 6spd acura cl-s. i was OBSESSED. washed it everday and all. 5 years after that i just lost that feel towards my car.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: e60

to be honest

:l

the stock alarm isnt the best

i got my car key'd and tires slashed without a single peep from my car

makes me wonder exactly how much force, action, or whatever is needed to actually set it off

only time i managed to hear it is when i have my sun roof open, lock it, and stick my hand in... alarm goes off as soon as my hand crosses the sun roof threshold
Old 11-03-2010, 03:50 AM
Senior Members

Seriously, the stock alarm is NOTHING.

Just think - it disables itself mechanically, also when using the spare plastic key! That's rubbish. All you have to do to disable it, is to unlock the central locking. Which is basically a peace of cake for any amateurish thief.

I highly recommend to have the Skybrake DD2 immobilizer installed in your car. It's not expensive (±200 EUR), it's completely wireless, you don't have to do anything (just always carry a small transmitter in your wallet). The great thing about it is that it's unnoticable, doesn't blink, doesn't appear anywhere. The thief drives off but the car stops in about 60-120 seconds. The fuel system disconnects automatically. He has to pull over in the middle of the street surprised and has no idea what happened (even if he does, he doesn't have the time), so he basically has to run away. Check www.skybrake.com. It's currently the last effective anti-theft system on the market. I just got this set installed in my car and I'm very satisfied. If you know how certificates and private/public keys work, you know that this is practically un-hackable. The amount if investment required to discover a hole in such system is too much to be worth it even for an organized group of professional thiefs. I haven't heard of a single hacked SSL yet in normal conditions in last 5 years. By normal conditions, I mean a pocket hacking device which disarms the system within seconds. You either need to hack WPA2 or at least 100 000 computers at hand. Not very likely.

Of course it's only a matter of time, just like with any security system, but until then, at least gives you a better feeling.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:00 AM
Senior Members

https://5series.net/forums/topic/640..._hl__cargo+net
Old 11-03-2010, 04:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
guys I am very freaked out right now I was finishing up some work getting ready to sleep when I heard strange noise outside...I look outside and I see someone NEAR MY CAR! WTF the driveway is long and its so cold outside..I ran down the stairs and turned on the floodlights I see the person run down the driveway and a car was parked at the end of the driveway and I see it drive away!

I pressed the trunk button and turned my alarm on just to make sure its working and I went outside and put the car in the garage. Car is fine nothing wrong but I think I am being watched.

A week ago I was going to school and I was pulling out of my driveway I saw this old civic green in color drive slowly by and I see the driver looking at my car. I come back I see the same car parked down the street. I also saw it this weekend but its not one of the neighbors car!!!!

Can these cars be stolen? Am I being paranoid? I was just PMing some E60 members asking about some new things I was getting for my car! If I was asleep and did not hear noise??
If you have a garage, put your car in. That is the safest way to go. There is no such thing as a good alarm. If they want your car, they'll get it.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by kreveta
Seriously, the stock alarm is NOTHING.

Just think - it disables itself mechanically, also when using the spare plastic key! That's rubbish. All you have to do to disable it, is to unlock the central locking. Which is basically a peace of cake for any amateurish thief.

I highly recommend to have the Skybrake DD2 immobilizer installed in your car. It's not expensive (±200 EUR), it's completely wireless, you don't have to do anything (just always carry a small transmitter in your wallet). The great thing about it is that it's unnoticable, doesn't blink, doesn't appear anywhere. The thief drives off but the car stops in about 60-120 seconds. The fuel system disconnects automatically. He has to pull over in the middle of the street surprised and has no idea what happened (even if he does, he doesn't have the time), so he basically has to run away. Check www.skybrake.com. It's currently the last effective anti-theft system on the market. I just got this set installed in my car and I'm very satisfied. If you know how certificates and private/public keys work, you know that this is practically un-hackable. The amount if investment required to discover a hole in such system is too much to be worth it even for an organized group of professional thiefs. I haven't heard of a single hacked SSL yet in normal conditions in last 5 years. By normal conditions, I mean a pocket hacking device which disarms the system within seconds. You either need to hack WPA2 or at least 100 000 computers at hand. Not very likely.

Of course it's only a matter of time, just like with any security system, but until then, at least gives you a better feeling.
Maybe it's me (and it could very well be) but I'm pretty sure you don't have all the facts. As you describe, even if you "disable it" using the central locking system (which I'm not sure how you'd do), the car will not start without a properly coded key. Even the plastic key has a chip in it so I'm not sure why you think everything is mechanical. Sure, the Skybrake system you recommend will disable the car a minute down the road but I don't know why anyone wouldn't prefer a system that doesn't allow the car to start in the first place? I'm guessing there may be country specific differences with BMW stock alarm systems but I think the coded key system is standard on all models in all countries.

From my point of view, the only way to steal one of our cars would be to get an actual key or physically lift it and take it away with a tow truck. The factory alarm, if installed, will likely go off in the case of the car being lifted/moved but it won't go off when a car is keyed or tires slashed. (I think there may be only one or two types of alarms that would go off when someone violates a perimeter around the car.)

Quick Reply: Freaked out....how good is stock alarm?