E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Freaked out....how good is stock alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it is insured, who cares. it is just a dime-a-dozen 5 series BMW, not a priceless classic lamborghini.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by craigm1841
if it is insured, who cares. it is just a dime-a-dozen 5 series BMW, not a priceless classic lamborghini.
haha, the guy does make a point.

the only thing that frustrates me about leaving my bmw alone is door dings!!

otherwise like i mentioned earlier, don't leave anything in your car and if you do don't let it be visible and no one is going to break in 90% of the time. having your car stolen? i'd say way less than a 5% chance.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by melimel
That sucks and I know the "violated" feeling you speak of.
you're not being violated if someone looks in your car unless you left nude pictures of your wife or (if you're brett favre) of yourself lying around. you guys obviously don't live in the heart of a city. people look in cars all the time, if for nothing else than to just see what a bmw interior looks like. maybe something caught their eye they want to steal, but just looking in doesn't make them guilty of anything.

unless someone starts touching your car or trying to open doors/trunks, or unless you find your car broken into, you should not feel violated at all. in fact, if someone is touching my car or trying to open doors/trunks but cannot, i wouldn't even care. your car LOCKS for a reason--to keep violators out. if you're concerned about people touching, looking, brushing up against, or occasionally trying to open your car, you should probably not own a car at all and consider alternative methods of travel such as horse, bike, skateboard, or subway.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530i 2009 M-Style Black w/ biege interior Fully loaded

i dont have an alarm installed in my car , no one dares to f%$# with me

haha, no seriously, i dont, but the main reason is that this is the safest country in the world...

it does happen now and then offcourse, but generally its like veeeeeeeeeeery rare, amazingly safe place to live

anyways, than God for insurance right? im not happy about the part where u ran out to check things out thats very dangerous, all in all, its just a car... be safe .
Old 11-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

Thanks everyone! To answer a few questions I do have the car in the garage everyday....but yesterday I was unsure if I was going out again or not and then just became lazy .

It might be a few kids just messing around or it could be something serious ? But I told my neighbors to keep an eye out for the civic and my neighbors are very friendly and know the cars that come in and leave my driveway.

I was thinking of leaving the car outside and setting a "trap" but that just sound so foolish...you don't know people and I certainly don't want to cause a situation. I am going to keep my eyes and ears open. Thanks again for all the feedback guys!
Old 11-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

someone's gonna be on the evening news

just sleep in the trunk with a shotgun

Old 11-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Hey I live in Brooklyn, just tell them to come steal my car, 2008 550i, please! I'd love to upgrade.

I look into cars all the time, I look into other newer BMW's to see what options are included, or just to compare with my car, I also look at other models out of curiosity if nothing else.

I have comfort access and I have two reg keys and the little plastic key that has an adapter in the glove box. There isn't any vallet key; the spare key unlocks all the same locks the reg key does.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by mookish
There isn't any vallet key; the spare key unlocks all the same locks the reg key does.
The valet key is simply one of the "regular" keys minus the "integrated key". In other words, you lock your trunk and glove box with the metal key and give the valet the remote without the metal key part and you're safe from valet pilfering...
Old 11-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy
The valet key is simply one of the "regular" keys minus the "integrated key". In other words, you lock your trunk and glove box with the metal key and give the valet the remote without the metal key part and you're safe from valet pilfering...
Cant the valet unlock the car then open the car with the trunk button INSIDE the car?
Old 11-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Cant the valet unlock the car then open the car with the trunk button INSIDE the car?
if you take the pyshical key and put it in the keyslot on the trunk, you turn it either right or left (cant remember), and remove the key when its in that position. the trunk will only open with the key then... the inside button, outside button, and remote button are disabled.

read the manual

Quick Reply: Freaked out....how good is stock alarm?