E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Freaked out....how good is stock alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Rudy
This is absolutely false! The plastic key DOES have an embedded chip and it gets it's power from the car. Learn more about Passive RFID technology here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-f...identification
I never knew the plastic key could start your car - I thought it could only unlock the car. If what you say is true then there must be an RFID scanner located in the ignition and some sort of microprocessor that validates the data being read from the key so the engine will start. Since anybody could read a VIN this could pose all kinds of potential security flaws.

Originally Posted by NguyenAzn
If you dont have plastic key then ur having a comfort access am i right ? only ppl that dont have comfort access that have plastic spare key !
I have a plastic key and CA - my plastic key looks nothing like my key fob, which fits perfectly in the ignition slot. The only thing the plastic key looks like it will fit is the door lock. I've also driven several 3er loaner cars WITHOUT CA and the key fob looks exactly the same as my key fob.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Rudy
This is absolutely false! The plastic key DOES have an embedded chip and it gets it's power from the car. Learn more about Passive RFID technology here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-f...identification

Regardless of this flaw in your argument, clearly, any car can be stolen, with or without the latest and greatest technology. For most people in most places, what BMW provides is adequate but obviously, your mileage may vary depending on where you live and how badly someone wants your car...
You are exactly right Rudy, it's the same reason that putting the key in the ignition charges the battery in the key. Hence, there is a power source for the chip.

Originally Posted by NguyenAzn
If you dont have plastic key then ur having a comfort access am i right ? only ppl that dont have comfort access that have plastic spare key !

Nope, I don't have CA, I guess I never got that key when i bought my car. Good thing it looks nothing like it did when I bought it huh?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by pjinca
You are exactly right Rudy, it's the same reason that putting the key in the ignition charges the battery in the key. Hence, there is a power source for the chip.
RFID tags do hold a finite amount of electricity that allows it to transmit its data when activated by a scanner. But we are talking about a plastic key with a supposed embedded chip here - so now I'm trying to figure out how the chip gets recharged. Are you suggesting that plastic conducts electricity?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by pukka
RFID tags do hold a finite amount of electricity that allows it to transmit its data when activated by a scanner. But we are talking about a plastic key with a supposed embedded chip here - so now I'm trying to figure out how the chip gets recharged. Are you suggesting that plastic conducts electricity?

We're talking extremely low voltage here, so it wouldn't take that much of a lead to be embedded in the plastic for recharge
Old 11-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I don't understand why it's even an issue that plastic key can unlock the car. Even if they do manage to get in, it's not like they can start the car?? I have not heard of anyone hotwiring these cars, so maybe someone that knows can elaborate.

But hah, I do have something useful to contribute though.

I am not sure if you guys understand how the keys are programmed, but essentially, as long as your car is unlocked, all someone has to do is stick an uncoded key fob in there, and the car will program it. So quite literally, some kid could be admiring your car, and ask very politely if he can check it out, and sit in the driver's seat. And in seconds, replicate a key using your car.

I know this for a fact, as I picked up my new key on Monday. All I did was stick my new key in there, and voila, instant-code. I wouldn't be surprised that this method has been employed to steal new cars off of dealer lot. (go for a test drive, and return to the dealership at later time and voila, use the key fob to disable alarm and drive it off like s/he owns it)
Old 11-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

enjoy your car- dont worry about it. When I was young and was driving $600 shitboxes, I worried about them all the time. Now I hardly think about my BMW when I am not in it.

The 5 series is just a car, nothing special- but you are a teenage male, so the extreme worry for your automobile comes with the territory.

Whatever you do, dont research aftermarket alarms. they are dumb and for teenagers and grown-ups living in 1989.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:04 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

The plastic key is designed for valet parking, it will unlock everything except the glovebox, enables you to put valuables safe when using a valet park.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by KAF
The plastic key is designed for valet parking, it will unlock everything except the glovebox, enables you to put valuables safe when using a valet park.
Not on cars the only have a fob (no metal key sticking out.) On those cars, the plastic key is not for valet use, it's for emergency use (like when you lose the fob.)

This thread is starting to turn into a RTFM one...
Old 11-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Members

I have a plastic key with CA. One day I accidentally found the fob in the emergency kit (left side) that is attached to the top of the trunk lid. The plastic key fits right into it. Never tried to use it yet. 2009 535i
Old 11-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Maybe you should just install those sensor flood lights for now, cause if someones watching your car, which im assuming they are based on what your telling us, the light going on will help deter them a tiny bit. But if they watched you that much already they may even know your schedule, where you go, etc, how long you leave your car and the best times. Sounds like a bunch of kids, immature low lifes with no goals in life and they want either money for your parts on your car, or your car itself. That sucks and I know the "violated" feeling you speak of.

Try the sensor flood lights, and try even parking another car behind yours. Something shadys going on, keep your eyes and ears open

Quick Reply: Freaked out....how good is stock alarm?