E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Has You A/C Smelled
Yes - it does or has
71.51%
No - not yet
28.49%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Foul A/C Smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a design issue. They can't deny it much longer. 2/3 of 90 people hae the problem. That's a pretty big statistic. BMW's A/C system is so how influencing the mold growth more than a normal car's A/C. It may be the recirculation system, it may not.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

In my experience, this occurs in every vehicle. Elements from the environment get trapped in the system. Try running just your vent to clean it out. I do this monthly, and it seems to help the problem. Bottom line is that there is a lot of crap in the air, and if you are bringing air from the outside into the system, buildup will occur.

This problem certainly will not keep me from buying Beemers.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Well we've had this debate before and this being my sixth vehicle, it is the first to have this issue. Guess I just got lucky on the previous five. And while I don't doubt that there is potential in any vehicle for some contamination to cause odors in the system, go read the boards of any other car you choose. You simply don't see the repeated, numerous complaints about this issue that you do on BMW boards. While I'm no engineer and cannot offer a solution, it is clear that placing the filter where it is, with water draining around/over/next to it, that just increases the odds of having mold problems.

But don't get me wrong, it is not going to keep from buying another BMW and I do love this car, but this has been a problem on previous models as well, and BMW seems unable to resolve or at least minimize its occurance.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i, Silver, Black Leather, Automatic, Cold Weather, Sirius Prep and Radio, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

I have the smell too. I have to keep the windows down and the air off . It does seem to go away and/or I'm adjusting to the foul odor within 10-20 minutes. I'm going to try heat/run method mentioned in prior posts..
Old 05-24-2005, 09:58 PM
Contributors

I voted NO in the poll because I did not think that my car had any out of the ordinary smell from the AC. After reading everyones posts it seems like you are talking about a humid moldy smell, which I do have sometimes. However, I have had that smell in all my previous cars as well as in my other family members' cars (BMW's, MB's, Hondas, Volkswagens, Dodges,....). In all of these cars (including my E60), the smell is there only when the AC has just been turned off, or sometimes when the car is first started with the AC off. Within less than a minute (max) it goes away. If the AC is turned back on it goes away almost immediately. Is this what you are talking about or is it some other smell? If it is some other smell or if it stays even when the AC is on then I don't have it (yet) at just over 7000 miles (in the Los Angeles area).
Old 05-25-2005, 08:00 AM
Senior Members

I can tell you that I have this issue. And it only started once we began having hot & humid weather. Yesterday I began to run without the "recirculation on" and it made a big difference. The odor is still there but not as bad.

This did not happen with the 97 M3, 01 M5, 02 X5 3.0i or 03 X5 4.6is - this is unique to my E60.

I think they (BMW) have an issue and we should band together to have them do something about it.

I suspect that those of us in hot and humid climates all have the problem.

Cheers,
Old 05-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

There are also people who are not in hot and humid climates without this problem
Old 05-25-2005, 06:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i... Alpine White, Black Dakota, Anthracite, Premiium 1+2, Sports Package, Comfort Access

Well, I originally voted no in this poll about a week ago. However, since this weekend I noticed on Saturday the beginning of a really nasty smell which is more prominent with the AC on. It literally smells like dog shit. A passenger I had in the car thought that ine of us might have stepped in something but it wasnt the case. Is that what you guys are smelling or is it more of a mildewy smell. It has been raining and very humid the lasr 4-5 days here in NY.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:49 AM
Senior Members

No, it can smell like crap too. It depends on how hot the car is and if the air is cool yet, or if its still blowing hot. It's disgusting.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:23 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530i Sport, Carbon Black, Grey Leather, Maple Wood, Prof Sat Nav, Bluetooth, CD Changer, Sun Roof, M Spolier and Logic 7 Prof Hifi

Originally Posted by zippers525' date='May 4 2005, 11:12 PM
BMW is trying to say this in an environmental condition. I think this is bogus. This problem seems to happen in every type environment. I think all the A/C units are defective and this is just an excuse. This is the only car which i have had this problem which. Also, if you vote please state you general location (i.e. northeast, southwest ...)

Thank You
[snapback]124228[/snapback]

i keep getting a strong smell like gas....so much thoiugh i thought it was a gas leak outside the car!!!!! .. spoke to dealers they said its a new axle grease they are using... which does have the gas aroma to it.... apparently this will fade over time.....willlhave to wait and see!!!

Quick Reply: Foul A/C Smell