E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Has You A/C Smelled
Yes - it does or has
71.51%
No - not yet
28.49%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Foul A/C Smell

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

Originally Posted by ULtraPLanet' post='124347' date='May 5 2005, 08:09 AM
Me too. But it never gets killer hot here in Germany although the humidity does get pretty high sometimes. Wonder if this is an issue for any of our friends in Singapore. They have special cooling fans and stuff for the engine .....maybe they have a different setup for the AC too Attachment 7292
and the aircon in my 523 stinks..
Old 03-04-2006, 04:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by eugeneloke' post='249602' date='Mar 4 2006, 12:34 AM
and the aircon in my 523 stinks..
Scroll back to page 3 to what EdLee said. It did the same thing for a couple of days on my way home (for about 30 minutes each time) 1+ year ago. It was worth the effort. I haven't had the smell since.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Interesting subject. I almost forgot I had this problem before. It bugs me so much before whenever I start up the car and and smell the odor from AC.

But it went away, I don't know if it's due to winter colder temp, so my AC doesn't run like summer time.

ps. I live in Los Angeles area.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (UK) Bulit: Feb 2004, 520i (M54), 6-Speed Manual, Black leather, Titanium Silver, Bi-Xenon, Headlamp washers, Side rear airbags, Park Distance Control, Aluminium trim, Standard Climate Control, 17" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's, Spacesaver Spare wheel, Jack, Dynamic drive, Service Inclusive, Chrome grills, Software version 20.01.00, E60.net Clings, Painted wheel hubs silver

Get the smell in the summer and winter - Scotland.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Members

i jus gave in my car for servies and i spoke to the serives adcisor regarding the ac smell .. he told me bout crazy expessive treatment they have he also told me if i went down to a good hardware store i should find a ac bacetria killer wehich works just as good and a fraction of the price ..so .. i jus need to get one now
Old 03-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Members

i jus gave in my car for servies and i spoke to the serives adcisor regarding the ac smell .. he told me bout crazy expessive treatment they have he also told me if i went down to a good hardware store i should find a ac bacetria killer wehich works just as good and a fraction of the price ..so .. i jus need to get one now
Old 03-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Senior Members

I have had to use the A/C for the first time in about 5 months and I can tell you that my "stench" is greater than ever. Even had a passenger comment on the odor... :thumbsdown:

I will try and clean the micro filters...but I am going to make a "stink" about this on my next service visit!
Old 03-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I think (hope) I've fixed mine. Took out both filters and cleaned them out (there was a lot of crap caught up in them), sprayed them both with a little Lysol, and also cleaned out the housing - there were a lot of old leaves etc which I suspect may have been the cause of the odors. Reinstalled the filters then followed Edlee's tip on this thread (run for 30 mins or so with the temp on max and windows down) and so far all seems back to normal. Odor was always worst in the afternoon, seems like it's OK now.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

i dont hve the smell very much but its been a few days of using the ac and the smell is just begning to come....last night i tried cleaning up the fillters, i live in a desert area so u wouldnt believe the amount of dust i removed from the fillters...i didnt notice much change to be honest....so i tried the heat thing using the ac off button and its much much much better....i think you should try both things at once (cleaning the microfillters & turn on the Heat) just to make sure u get rid of the smell.....
Old 03-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='249959' date='Mar 4 2006, 10:52 PM
I think (hope) I've fixed mine. Took out both filters and cleaned them out (there was a lot of crap caught up in them), sprayed them both with a little Lysol, and also cleaned out the housing - there were a lot of old leaves etc which I suspect may have been the cause of the odors. Reinstalled the filters then followed Edlee's tip on this thread (run for 30 mins or so with the temp on max and windows down) and so far all seems back to normal. Odor was always worst in the afternoon, seems like it's OK now.
Did the same today, but I forgot to do the Lysol thing. The filters were very dirty. Does anyone know, when/what service they get replaced? I will report back in the next few days as to any improvement in the "smell"

Quick Reply: Foul A/C Smell