E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A Ford Mustang GT encounter...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

These stories makie me all warm and fuzzy!
Old 06-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

nice story
Old 06-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by snadir' post='291101' date='Jun 1 2006, 03:56 PM
good stuff, i am always a fan of good racing stories.
To tell you the truth, i am also kind of surprised at the result.
I also own a 2000 Ford Mustang GT( my college car), and that baby does haul ass. The specs of it stock are V8, 260 HP. I have some extra mods done to it so therefore i get some more HP out of it but with that i have crushed some regular 3 series and 5 series. IMO, i think its faster than my 04' 530i, but then again my 530i is like 225 Hp. There have been times ofcourse when i have been spanked by M3's in it also but thats expected. Do you know what year the mustang was you raced? The newer ones, 2005 and above have a V8 with 300HP stock while the cobra has 390 HP Stock. All in all, i am surprised a diesel beat a Mustang GT, i would not have been if it were a V6. But then again, a lot depends on the driver, and you my friend are the better driver!

Yeah, the new ones are really good cars - they can actually corner pretty well too.

Throw a few grand worth of Steeda parts into the engine and you've got a real beast on your hands. Heck - the Shelby GT500 cars are fairly cheap and absolute beasts. It's a bad comparison though - the E60 and the Mustang are very different cars. I didn't buy my car to drag race Mustangs.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 1) 2004 BMW 530IAlpine WhiteLuxury PackageNavigation 2) 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='291117' date='Jun 1 2006, 04:32 PM
Yeah, the new ones are really good cars - they can actually corner pretty well too.

Throw a few grand worth of Steeda parts into the engine and you've got a real beast on your hands. Heck - the Shelby GT500 cars are fairly cheap and absolute beasts. It's a bad comparison though - the E60 and the Mustang are very different cars. I didn't buy my car to drag race Mustangs.

Agreed, Very well put!

but sometimes its hard to resist
Old 06-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by snadir' post='291101' date='Jun 1 2006, 10:56 PM
good stuff, i am always a fan of good racing stories.
To tell you the truth, i am also kind of surprised at the result.
I also own a 2000 Ford Mustang GT( my college car), and that baby does haul ass. The specs of it stock are V8, 260 HP. I have some extra mods done to it so therefore i get some more HP out of it but with that i have crushed some regular 3 series and 5 series. IMO, i think its faster than my 04' 530i, but then again my 530i is like 225 Hp. There have been times ofcourse when i have been spanked by M3's in it also but thats expected. Do you know what year the mustang was you raced? The newer ones, 2005 and above have a V8 with 300HP stock while the cobra has 390 HP Stock. All in all, i am surprised a diesel beat a Mustang GT, i would not have been if it were a V6. But then again, a lot depends on the driver, and you my friend are the better driver!
It was a 2006 model. 300bhp v8 as you say. Thank you anyway.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='291117' date='Jun 1 2006, 11:32 PM

LOL who said that when an opportunity comes on the streets you have to pass just because they are in different classes or they can't be compared. Of course one is a sports-coupe with a v8 stuffed in it and the other a more refined sporty sedan with a diesel but with the ability to overrun it on the corners, but both with similar performance (not 0-62). I've seen S600 mercs taking on boxters. And it was not a drag, it was more like a circuit....
In your E60 you can still have fun you know?!
LOL makes me think of the Top Gear lap board...you see everything there...from enzos, ariel atom, to audi rs4, cls55amg, 535d, focus rs, golfs and the list can continue.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='291194' date='Jun 1 2006, 06:42 PM
LOL who said that when an opportunity comes on the streets you have to pass just because they are in different classes or they can't be compared. Of course one is a sports-coupe with a v8 stuffed in it and the other a more refined sporty sedan with a diesel but with the ability to overrun it on the corners, but both with similar performance (not 0-62). I've seen S600 mercs taking on boxters. And it was not a drag, it was more like a circuit....
In your E60 you can still have fun you know?!
LOL makes me think of the Top Gear lap board...you see everything there...from enzos, ariel atom, to audi rs4, cls55amg, 535d, focus rs, golfs and the list can continue.

I think you may have misunderstood me. Feel free to race what you like, I was simply saying that the resultant comparisons in this thread (my own included) were a little silly, and certainly unfair. It is very easy to buy cheap fast cars in the US, and even easier to modify some of those cars into absolute brutes. I was calling out my own comments about a Steeda modified Mustang and its merits in relation to the E60. The E60 is an all-around poor choice in that light - compared to a modified muscle car. I certainly wouldn't be inviting a lot of pure performance comparisons - especially across disparate classes. You start getting bad match-ups like the Dodge Neon that spanked the 545i in another current thread here. Would you consider that an unfair comparison? Who wouldn't take a 545i over a Neon?

That's why I say it's unfair to compare. I keep track of cars and how they perform - I read all the car magazines so I have a good idea of how cars should perform relative to one another. Before I purchased my car, I evaluated the performance the car was capable of and found it to be at the threshold I desired. That's why I bought it. I don't give a rats ass how it stacks up to a Mustang. I love everything about my car, but I'm very realistic when it comes to my assessment of its capabilities.

I like the new Mustang. Being an American I have had a lot of exposure to Mustangs of all vintages, and I have very fond memories of a cherry 1965 convertible that a friend had. I would almost consider buying a new one, but I'm not a Ford guy (I once had a Camaro with the Corvette 350 in it). I have outgrown the boy racer phase, and I didn't want the noise, vibration, and harshness of an American sports coupe. The image Mustang drivers have wasn't something that I embrace either.

I have plenty of fun in my car, despite the fact that I can only use a fraction of the full performance where I live.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='291212' date='Jun 2 2006, 02:22 AM
I don't give a rats ass how it stacks up to a Mustang. I love everything about my car, but I'm very realistic when it comes to my assessment of its capabilities.
Only this captured my attention.
Well in a way i "give a rats ass" how it stacks up to the cars in it's performance range. RX-8, Mustangs, 330i, and the list can continue...What's wrong in that? I'm just very interested in my cars performance. I already know that i bought a far superior car to the others (like rx-8 or neons or whatever) but is it superior at the performance chapter. And if i find out that it is then i can be a happy man knowing that no cheaper car, boy wanna be racer can smoke me to oblivion or embarasse me in front of my girl. It's in a way old thinking vs young thinking. I don't expect you to understand it.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='291216' date='Jun 1 2006, 04:30 PM
Only this captured my attention.
Well in a way i "give a rats ass" how it stacks up to the cars in it's performance range. RX-8, Mustangs, 330i, and the list can continue...What's wrong in that? I'm just very interested in my cars performance. I already know that i bought a far superior car to the others (like rx-8 or neons or whatever) but is it superior at the performance chapter. And if i find out that it is then i can be a happy man knowing that no cheaper car, boy wanna be racer can smoke me to oblivion or embarasse me in front of my girl. It's in a way old thinking vs young thinking. I don't expect you to understand it.
I don't (really) race my car much either but I think I understand where you're coming from. You can have fun on two levels. I'm convinced that much of the time certain other drivers just don't understand or appreciate how quick and nimble a big sedan like the E60 can be, and are amazed when our luxo barge just steams by. The other thing is sometimes the "crazy" match ups are more fun, I'd think I'd rather have a stoplight blast with something that just shouldn't keep up with me or beat me (but can) rather than the more obvious match ups - just wish I occasionally had the chance to do it!
Old 06-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='291212' date='Jun 1 2006, 04:22 PM
I have plenty of fun in my car, despite the fact that I can only use a fraction of the full performance where I live.

Spot on - best quote of the day !

Quick Reply: A Ford Mustang GT encounter...