E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A Ford Mustang GT encounter...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I promised i wouldn't tell anymore street experiences since i got blamed or wasn't bealived on a past experience. But i can't help it so here goes....
Last weekend i encounted a Ford Mustang GT coupe. It was Saturday night,in the city, perfect weather, traffic was light to moderate. I don't remember exactly who challanged who but you know the stuff...you're in front you floor it for a moment than he floors it, then he goes in front and does the same thing. So after we agreed that we can take a race, we headed for a straight road, that unfortunatley wasn't very light in traffic. I would say moderate. With 4 lanes as options, he got in front of me and he caned it. I did the same. He just pulled away, slightly, from speeds around 40lm/h to 140km/h or so because he was leading and he had the advantage to move from lane to lane through traffic before me. I had only the chance to follow him from behind. Overtaking was impossible. Not because he was too fast but i didn't have another lane or alternative to make my own space. Now i race a bit more cautious not doing anything too much to upset the other traffic participants. He was making alot of bold moves and i've had enough crashes and seen almost everything there was to see to make me more reserved. After almost 1 km of following his car, 3-4 meters in his back, i had a small oportunity to go in front of him at a red light. And i did that. With him in my a$$ and no one in front of me, i floored it at green. I had just 400 meters or so till we hit a medium right corner followed by a big and wide left corner (like a rotary road). He was RIGHT in my tail before i started braking and he had all the space to try to overtake (other lanes were completley free) but he couldn't. He showed untill then very good driving skills and i did my best of the best. BUT when the hard braking started (from speeds around 150km/h) then all was over. I then took the corners as on a race track, DSC fully off, tail stepping out a bit trying to get the most grip. After taking the left corner with about 100km/h or so i then backed off since he was lost in my rear view mirror. 10 seconds later he reappeared. We pulled over and had a chat. He was astonished when he heared the diesel typical sound at idle and from then he already started to explain itself of why he wasn't able to keep up (braking and cornering). He had a bit of brake fade (hmmm yeah right from a couple of hard braking) and his rims were 16 or 17" as i recall he said, thus not giving him too much confidence in the bends. I told him that the Mustang was never a cornering car, but in a way nor is my funf.
So lot's of fun in the end. Stayed friends...chatted a little more, while turbines where colling off and respect! Nothing out of line, nothing to disturb too much the traffic except some overtakings from him and my cornering lunacy. He just couldn't bealive i could pull away in such a manner on a corner, a high speed one. Pretty much i don't know about his car...all i knew it has a v8, around 300bhp and a rather nice sountrack since i'm not that much in american cars.
So there you have it. On a racetrack i know who would win now...I only have a target that i never had the opportunity to race. An RX-8. Once i met a guy, enormous wing on his back, japan styled car, Fast and Furious style but after a few corners he calmed down...

Cheers to all!
Old 06-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

I used to get challenged by GTs all the time when I had the M Roadster. I normally ignored them but one time with my brother in the car I took the challenge. The GT was spanked so badly the other guy didn't even look at me when we came up to a light. He just sat there with a pissed look on his face.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Titanium Silver, Step, Black Interior, Sports Pkg.,CWP,Comfort Access, Nav, Premium Sound, Sat. Radio

I always get a smile on my face reading this stories!
Old 06-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Klepper' post='291059' date='Jun 1 2006, 09:38 PM
I always get a smile on my face reading this stories!
Hope you don't mean anything by that....
Old 06-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='291052' date='Jun 1 2006, 09:31 PM
I used to get challenged by GTs all the time when I had the M Roadster. I normally ignored them but one time with my brother in the car I took the challenge. The GT was spanked so badly the other guy didn't even look at me when we came up to a light. He just sat there with a pissed look on his face.
AHAHAHHA what a soore looser. Even when i loose i can't be that pissed. There is you difference between wanting to win badly, wanting to have fun, and blending the 2 of them. Some of them just want to win all the time.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Titanium Silver, Step, Black Interior, Sports Pkg.,CWP,Comfort Access, Nav, Premium Sound, Sat. Radio

Not at all - I meant I enjoy hearing about other people in e60's beating people who think they have "fast" cars. Makes me smile!
Old 06-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Klepper' post='291066' date='Jun 1 2006, 09:44 PM
Not at all - I meant I enjoy hearing about other people in e60's beating people who think they have "fast" cars. Makes me smile!
Ok! Pheew! Thanx. Glad you like it, i like it also
Old 06-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 1) 2004 BMW 530IAlpine WhiteLuxury PackageNavigation 2) 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

good stuff, i am always a fan of good racing stories.
To tell you the truth, i am also kind of surprised at the result.
I also own a 2000 Ford Mustang GT( my college car), and that baby does haul ass. The specs of it stock are V8, 260 HP. I have some extra mods done to it so therefore i get some more HP out of it but with that i have crushed some regular 3 series and 5 series. IMO, i think its faster than my 04' 530i, but then again my 530i is like 225 Hp. There have been times ofcourse when i have been spanked by M3's in it also but thats expected. Do you know what year the mustang was you raced? The newer ones, 2005 and above have a V8 with 300HP stock while the cobra has 390 HP Stock. All in all, i am surprised a diesel beat a Mustang GT, i would not have been if it were a V6. But then again, a lot depends on the driver, and you my friend are the better driver!
Old 06-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='291044' date='Jun 1 2006, 01:26 PM
Cheers to all!
Good one.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='291044' date='Jun 1 2006, 02:26 PM
He was RIGHT in my tail before i started braking and he had all the space to try to overtake (other lanes were completley free) but he couldn't. He showed untill then very good driving skills and i did my best of the best. BUT when the hard braking started (from speeds around 150km/h) then all was over. I then took the corners as on a race track, DSC fully off, tail stepping out a bit trying to get the most grip. After taking the left corner with about 100km/h or so i then backed off since he was lost in my rear view mirror.

10 seconds later he reappeared.

He just couldn't bealive i could pull away in such a manner on a corner, a high speed one.

Cheers to all!
very very good. well spanked.

you are in my club.
cheers to you too beemer roman!

Quick Reply: A Ford Mustang GT encounter...