E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few things I've noticed in the past week with the 550i

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

1.) Voice command is greatly improved. I was able to give commands like "dial florian henckel von donnersmarck" with the sunroof OPEN at speeds over 160 or so and it understood me perfectly - and the response was much faster.

2.) Interior is much improved. The new comfort seats are more comfortable than the old ones; the increased leather makes it feel nicer and it has a more put together feel. I was in a 2005 5er briefly today in D?sseldorf and I can?t begin to tell you the contrast.

3.) Handling is amazing. Enough said.

4.) Command for iPod is, well, ,,iPod`` (and the system responds ,,USB``)

5.) There is an autostore for HD radio, didn?t know that (but can?t use that in Europa)
Old 10-29-2007, 01:21 PM
Contributors

Glad to read you are still discovering the joys of your new 550i.

Keep the cards and letters coming.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='487526' date='Oct 29 2007, 05:00 PM
1.) Voice command is greatly improved. I was able to give commands like "dial florian henckel von donnersmarck" with the sunroof OPEN at speeds over 160 or so and it understood me perfectly - and the response was much faster.

2.) Interior is much improved. The new comfort seats are more comfortable than the old ones; the increased leather makes it feel nicer and it has a more put together feel. I was in a 2005 5er briefly today in D?sseldorf and I can?t begin to tell you the contrast.

3.) Handling is amazing. Enough said.

5.) There is an autostore for HD radio, didn?t know that (but can?t use that in Europa)
I agree with you Jonathan! The car will continue to amaze you the more you "bond" with it!!

(About the lack of autostore, I don't blame you for not noticing my posting of this "feature" back in one of my lengthy reviews when I first got my car... )

Enjoy your trip!
Old 10-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='487539' date='Oct 29 2007, 05:24 PM
(About the lack of autostore, I don't blame you for not noticing my posting of this "feature" back in one of my lengthy reviews when I first got my car... )
not a lack of autostore, but an enhanced autostore for both FM and separately for HD radio
Old 10-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

One more thing I noticed: the new shifter is AWESOME.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='487551' date='Oct 29 2007, 05:53 PM
not a lack of autostore, but an enhanced autostore for both FM and separately for HD radio
Yeah, you're correct. I misread your original post and thought you meant that the "all stations" mode is missing. On my old E60, there was no autostore feature because it had something better -- it had an "all stations" feature. Basically the car had two FM tuners installed. One tuner was used to tune whatever it was you were listening to while the other tuner was constantly seeking out any stations it could find as you travelled from place to place. Any time you wanted to do the equivalent of autostore, you just went to "all stations" and all available stations were already present for you to listen to. (There was no need to select autostore and wait until it was finished scanning the FM band, etc. -- this was always being performed in the background all the time... )

On my new car, I have the autostore feature back again. I'm thinking that the HD radio tuner caused the second FM tuner to be removed due to space limitations, etc. Anyway, I must have been in a hurry (as usual) when I read your original post and somehow my brain thought you were talking about this other thing.

Have fun -- keep us posted on your next adventure!
Old 10-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='487526' date='Oct 29 2007, 04:00 PM
Wonderful. That must be a recent software upgrade. I took delivery of my 550 with similar options on August 3 and it does not respond to "iPod".
Old 10-29-2007, 10:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='487637' date='Oct 29 2007, 10:39 PM
Yeah, you're correct. I misread your original post and thought you meant that the "all stations" mode is missing. On my old E60, there was no autostore feature because it had something better -- it had an "all stations" feature. Basically the car had two FM tuners installed. One tuner was used to tune whatever it was you were listening to while the other tuner was constantly seeking out any stations it could find as you travelled from place to place. Any time you wanted to do the equivalent of autostore, you just went to "all stations" and all available stations were already present for you to listen to. (There was no need to select autostore and wait until it was finished scanning the FM band, etc. -- this was always being performed in the background all the time... )

On my new car, I have the autostore feature back again. I'm thinking that the HD radio tuner caused the second FM tuner to be removed due to space limitations, etc. Anyway, I must have been in a hurry (as usual) when I read your original post and somehow my brain thought you were talking about this other thing.

Have fun -- keep us posted on your next adventure!
Ja, all stations is what is missing! I found that was odd, not to have it but the autostore worked well. No idea why but I will see if I can find out.