E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer and why?
Titanium Gray
20.95%
Silver Gray
28.38%
Black Sapphire
27.03%
Titanium Silver
23.65%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Exterior colour

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Need I say more!
Old 09-17-2004, 09:40 AM

Before I got my 545i, I seriously considered Jet Black, Titanium Silver and Silver Gray. Having owned several black cars to date, I decided against Jet Black b/c of the high maintenance (every spec of dust and any kind of swirl/scratch shows immediately).

Now it was down to Titanium Silver or Silver Gray -- Titanium Silver is a bland color (the Mercedes metallic silver is much better IMO), but it is also the most popular BMW color (any model) in SoCal, so it would be the easiest to sell when I buy my next car. The Silver Gray metallic is more elegant, looks fantastic in bright sunshine (which we get a lot of in SoCal) and is low maintenance (not dark enough to highlight any dust, swirls and scratches), so it was a very strong choice on its own. In the end, I decided to get Silver Gray, grey leather and poplar wood interior (instead of the anthracite). Because of the heat in SoCal, a black interior made little sense and the Silver Gray on Beige leather looked very awkward (most of the BMW dealers I contacted said they never order a Silver Gray with beige unless demanded by the buyer -- only grey and black), so I chose the grey leather, which is a very nice combination.

In the end, I believe BMW selected Silver Gray as the "signature" color for the introduction of the e60, marketing brochures, etc. because it is the most distinguished and elegant color for the new Bangle surface design.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

I like the silver gray and am glad I have it. I have seen quite a few darker E60s and they don't look as interesting to me. They don't catch the light in the same way or something.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rizbel' date='Sep 16 2004, 09:43 PM
Need I say more!
I never noticed you got your car at Assael, me too. Why not use one of the SD dealerships though?
Old 09-17-2004, 02:58 PM
Contributors

I voted for Silver Gray, although my E60 is Titanium Silver. I would have preferred Silver Gray, but the dealer had a Titanium Silver E60 in stock with exactly the equipment I wanted. Titanium Silver is easy to keep clean but I admit it is rather boring. Silver Gray has a little more visual interest to me, and it is a nice compromise between Titanium Silver and Titanium Gray, which is too much of a dark gray for my taste.

All in all, I think black is the best-looking color for BMWs, but the daytime heat buildup on black cars is horrific where I live, and I agree that black is a bear to keep clean.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:32 PM
Members

I like the silver gray also. It has a little blue in it which is great. I think the black and also the mystic blue are sharp also.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:37 AM
Members

Even though it is not on the poll, I saw two color combinations this past week that are sharp:
Olivin green with beige leather. The owner says has lots of compliments, stays looking clean a long time for easy maintenance.
Mystic blue with the beige leather interior. Sharp
Old 09-20-2004, 07:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i 6-Speed (Black and Tan)

All my previous BMWs were silver with black interior....which I still love....you can't go wrong here.

However my latest (545i 6-speed sport package) is Jet Black with Tan....not my first choice intially but it has proven to be a real head turner WHEN CLEAN.. people stop me all the time to ask me about it....and this in a city with 5 dealers and generally crawling with BMWs.

I do not do mods and like the fact that every bit of the exterior is black except for the lights.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:39 AM
Members

My Ride: (Expecting Oct. 2004) 2005 530i Sport package, premium sound package,premium package, xenon's, HUD, sat radio, cold weather package, navagation

I think you should add JET BLACK to the list, JET BLACK and chrome wheels are to die for
Old 09-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545A Dynamic Drive Pkg (Active Steering; Active Stabilization) Sport Pkg, Premium Sound, CD Changer, Rain sensor wipers, Red Rear reflectors

Silver Grey for me

Titanium silver is too light on E60 and for some reasons it just doesn't look right to me.

I was tempted to order Mystic Blue but I already have a blue car and dark colour cars are a pain to maintain as others have said. Also darker colour cars show off swirl marks big time !!!

Look out for the Amerthyst interior though... leather and the door inserts are in dark beige but the hard rubber parts are black. So it is a really nice looking two-tone interior.

Quick Reply: Exterior colour