E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Exhaust pipe tip burn hazard

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

No, I didn't say I want bruceholmes to leave. I was agreeing with Hatchman50. I gave an example of another noob that did a similar thing a while back and was never heard from again, but here is bruceholmes taking it like a man. And, this thread didn't even get nasty b/c it could have.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jiio' post='310129' date='Jul 13 2006, 07:19 AM
No, I didn't say I want bruceholmes to leave. I was agreeing with Hatchman50. I gave an example of another noob that did a similar thing a while back and was never heard from again, but here is bruceholmes taking it like a man. And, this thread didn't even get nasty b/c it could have.
LOOOOOL ...and he walked into the damned forest and was never heard from again.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

3rd degree burn... wow!! your leg must of got stuck there....i can see 1st and 2nd.... i think in an instant i would of jumped with pain.and only sustained 1st degree.... hope your okay.....oh yeah .watch the washer nozzles for the headlights.... i almost went blind with the spray fluid wanting to see how it worked...ericd
Old 07-13-2006, 01:02 AM
Contributors

I think we should delete this thread immediately. If BMW NA gets a wind of this they are going get their lawyers to come up with a huge sticker to put on all US model E60 bumpers right above the muffler tips that say "CAUTION Exhaust tips are hotter than they appear....approach with extreme caution"

Heck, they may even add a second iDrive ACCEPT screen for the exhaust.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='310177' date='Jul 13 2006, 11:02 AM
I think we should delete this thread immediately. If BMW NA gets a wind of this they are going get their lawyers to come up with a huge sticker to put on all US model E60 bumpers right above the muffler tips that say "CAUTION Exhaust tips are hotter than they appear....approach with extreme caution"

Heck, they may even add a second iDrive ACCEPT screen for the exhaust.
how true
Old 07-13-2006, 04:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Berlin.BMER' post='310206' date='Jul 13 2006, 04:24 AM
how true
Okay I've had some time to think about all of the dangerous components of the car I hadn't previously contemplated. Thank God for you techno geeks that brought these things to my attention!!!!
I've figured out a solution for most of these obvious design deficiencies.

First I will circumcise exhaust tips and then place large condoms over them to make for safer exhausts...... supposedly they work for other things.

Second I can install a warning buzzer on the trunk lid in case the visual information of the trunk lid swinging open suddenly and unexpectedly isn't sufficient.

Third I can trim the edge of all the door frames so as to make the gap similar to a Chrysler Kcar where even a large finger couldn't be pinched in any of the door jams because the gap was so large.......... unintended safety.

Third I can put little tiny condoms over the headlight washers and make those safer.

Fourth I can put plastic moldings over the edge of the rims so as to not burn my legs on the hot rims....... well who would've thunk that you could burn your legs on car rims???!!!!

Finally there's the obvious dangers of driving which would be solved if a governor could be installed so as to limit the speed of the car to not much more than jogging speed, a speed at which it's difficult to be injured seriously even if you run flat out into a tree.

There you have it......... the ultimate safe driving machine!!!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2006, 04:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Hood Rich' post='310013' date='Jul 12 2006, 08:18 PM
OMG. Does your wife let you use the stove? Those get hot too, maybe GE will do something to remedy the problem.

Also, the exhaust is slighty inward of the bumper. Maybe next time wear a nomex suit when you need to get items from your trunk.
Your picture's background looks familiar. Where did you take the picture ?
Old 07-13-2006, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by x550-ed' post='310116' date='Jul 12 2006, 11:59 PM
Oh and another thing to watch out for is the Trunk. It may swing open knocking you senseless if you get too close
Now you have me thinking.... I want my hood to fly open like the trunk on command. That way the next time someone wants to put something under the wiper arm I can take them out.

The burn should heal. I've had it happen to me when I was much younger riding dirt bikes with shorts. Once the skin healed the hair grew back. And I learned my lesson to wear propper gear while on the motorcyle. The BMW tail pipes don't seem to stick out that much but maybe you're looking for the stealthy E39's setup. Don't get into an E60 M5 or E92 since they seem to stick out more than the standard E60.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruceholmes' post='310216' date='Jul 13 2006, 08:23 AM
Okay I've had some time to think about all of the dangerous components of the car I hadn't previously contemplated. Thank God for you techno geeks that brought these things to my attention!!!!
I've figured out a solution for most of these obvious design deficiencies.

Old 07-13-2006, 06:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by carfreak' post='310067' date='Jul 12 2006, 09:06 PM
Be nice guys

Last week I thought I saw a scratch on my rear bumper. I rubbed some dust off and hit my finger on the tips. I learned my lesson
I have the Monaco Blue and when i try to wipe something off of it as I pass by the car, I later see surface scratches no matter how careful I am. Im trying to not touch my car anymore unless Im doing a full wash.

I also use a california duster.

Quick Reply: Exhaust pipe tip burn hazard