E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

European Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 05:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d (Jan 2005) premium pack, pro nav, steptronic

Originally Posted by FJPM' post='194180
Hi FJPM,

Staying close to the CDG airport. Is there any riot related disturbences in that area ? Can you let me know which are the areas to absolutely avoid in Paris as regards general hazards and the present disturbences ?

Thanks ! Roland
First these riots must be considered similar to the ones which hit L.A. some years ago.
The CDG area it self has not been touched but the whole North and East suburbs of Paris are difficult for the time being at night. Which includes the zone between Paris and CDGEven if it is very serious, it is very scatered. Paris downtown is OK.
If your hotel is an high class one and having an indoor parking it is OK.
The problem is how to commute to go to Paris downtown for visiting. Because the RER (suburban train network) is severly perturbated for the time being. I will not recommend to take it at night going north.

My advice: yes you can come to Paris but take a good hotel downtown with a private parking or a good hotel located in Western suburbs it will be by far more convenient for visiting.

Do not hesitate t contact me directly if you need fufther informations.
[/quote]
You don't have any risk with a BMW here. The rioters are very careful with BMWs in the suburb because they all have one ! Just kidding... Just avoid the inner city areas, that's it. No problem downtown. Enjoy your trip.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

Originally Posted by RolandKelly' post='193630' date='Nov 4 2005, 05:27 PM
Hello Guys,

Thought I'd check in before leaving for Germany on Wednesday next. I am doing my 4th ED in 6 years and was wondering, as I have not done it since May 2003, if there are any new tips for a smooth delivery.

From earlier trips I now know to

1) purchase and install keyed locking wheel nuts
2) buy as many accessories I can fit into a suitcase from the large dealership parts dept on the Frankfurter Ring
3) park the car in hotel and supervised parking lots
4) keep all the keys on my person as absence of keys can invalidate the insurance policy for theft
5) bring my newly purchased Euro NAV DVD
6) bring lots of Euro for buying gas and everything else that is soo expensive in Europe (except the crusty french bread, creamy cheese and fine French wines..anyone jealous yet..just kidding)
6) take ALL accessories including tools/first aid kit/hazard triangle back with me in the suitcase , as these may not all reappear in the USA

Any other advice ?

My wife and I are flying into Frankfurt (AA does not do Munich this time of year), then next day take the high speed train to Munchen. Spend 4 nights at the Marriott (points) then drive across Germany and into France , planning to stay at a winery in the Mosel region (found on a review on the Wall St J, very good rates..then arriving in a Paris suburb for 4 more nights, back to USA 11/21).

Will report back on the whole experience >)

Cheers, Roland

2006 550 Monaco Blue/Auburn
6 Speed Manual/PDC/Folding Rear Seats/Prem Sound/Sport Package/Cold Weather Package/Heated Rear Seats/Comfort Seats/NAV/ Full Satelite Radio (will this work in Europe ??)

PS. Kids will stay at home with Grandma and Grandpa....boy will we miss them ! LOL
More bad news coming from France, becarefull.

I agree with others, use your credit card as much as possible to get best exchange rates and use ATM inside of reputable places only (card readers are popular in Europe).

CONGRAT!

good choice on the Tranny
Old 11-07-2005, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

Don't go to Paris! They have burned 1200 cars there in the last few days!

Even if they didn't burn the cars in Paris I wouldn't bring my brand new BMW into the city of Paris, they drive like hell, and park the cars, like they are insane!
Old 11-07-2005, 06:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by E60Sim' post='194613' date='Nov 7 2005, 04:10 PM
Don't go to Paris! They have burned 1200 cars there in the last few days!

Even if they didn't burn the cars in Paris I wouldn't bring my brand new BMW into the city of Paris, they drive like hell, and park the cars, like they are insane!
Come on ! That's not the war.. Just avoid inner city areas over night... and they don't burn BMWs, they love it
Old 11-07-2005, 06:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 550-6spd

How long to get car from Europe to US Dealer after dropoff?

Do some dropoff locations provided faster re-delivery than others?

Regards,

BIFF
Old 11-07-2005, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

Ls78000, It's not a war - but the areas where there these demontrations are, is not a place to be in a brand new car...

and they don't burn BMWs, they love it - I think BMW is on the top 10 list of the cars they wanna burn
Old 11-07-2005, 06:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by E60Sim' post='194625' date='Nov 7 2005, 04:47 PM
Ls78000, It's not a war - but the areas where there these demontrations are, is not a place to be in a brand new car...
Agree but believe me (I live in Paris) the riots are located in the inner-city areas of the major cities in France. So avoiding these places (where there is nothing to do even when it's quiet) should be ok. I still have my E60 And they burn all cars regardless the brand...
Old 11-07-2005, 06:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by E60Sim' post='194625' date='Nov 7 2005, 11:47 PM
and they don't burn BMWs, they love it - I think BMW is on the top 10 list of the cars they wanna burn
Old 11-07-2005, 07:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

I confirm what IS78000 said: the riot affects at night mostly difficuly areas located Northen and Southern of Paris.

For convenience only, I would drop off the car ASAP in CDG which is very easily connected by highways comming from the East and saty in an Hotel downtown. It is not a good idea to stay close to CDG and to commute by train to Paris. RER line B is crossing some bandit districts...

On top yhe number of car burned is quite high because of propagation in parking lots. On top we cannot exclude some cheating to the insurance.

What surpised me is that they are burning very popular cars of people not being able to afford a private covered parking -> most likely the car of their parents, friend or relatives...
Old 02-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by RolandKelly' post='193630' date='Nov 4 2005, 06:27 PM
Hello Guys,

Thought I'd check in before leaving for Germany on Wednesday next. I am doing my 4th ED in 6 years and was wondering, as I have not done it since May 2003, if there are any new tips for a smooth delivery.

From earlier trips I now know to

1) purchase and install keyed locking wheel nuts
2) buy as many accessories I can fit into a suitcase from the large dealership parts dept on the Frankfurter Ring
3) park the car in hotel and supervised parking lots
4) keep all the keys on my person as absence of keys can invalidate the insurance policy for theft
5) bring my newly purchased Euro NAV DVD
6) bring lots of Euro for buying gas and everything else that is soo expensive in Europe (except the crusty french bread, creamy cheese and fine French wines..anyone jealous yet..just kidding)
6) take ALL accessories including tools/first aid kit/hazard triangle back with me in the suitcase , as these may not all reappear in the USA

Any other advice ?

My wife and I are flying into Frankfurt (AA does not do Munich this time of year), then next day take the high speed train to Munchen. Spend 4 nights at the Marriott (points) then drive across Germany and into France , planning to stay at a winery in the Mosel region (found on a review on the Wall St J, very good rates..then arriving in a Paris suburb for 4 more nights, back to USA 11/21).

Will report back on the whole experience >)

Cheers, Roland

2006 550 Monaco Blue/Auburn
6 Speed Manual/PDC/Folding Rear Seats/Prem Sound/Sport Package/Cold Weather Package/Heated Rear Seats/Comfort Seats/NAV/ Full Satelite Radio (will this work in Europe ??)

PS. Kids will stay at home with Grandma and Grandpa....boy will we miss them ! LOL
Roland,

I have some questions on ED. I am planning on going on May 8 right now. From chicago I can fly direct to Germany. You mentioned a high speed train. How conveinient is it and how expensive. How long does it take on the train to Munich?

I plan on doing ED as quickly as possible and return the car and fly home.

I want to fly outof chicago on a saturday and fly out of Munich late Monday, early tuesday.

How long did it take you to get your car once you handed it back to Europe?

Thanks,

Bill

Quick Reply: European Delivery