E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

ENGINE MALFUNCTION, REDUCED POWER - Error message

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim/Anthracite Headliner Premium and Sport Package Comfort Access/Navigation/HD Radio/iPod/Logic 7/SAT/PDC Sprintbooster Split Second Turbo Tuner BMC Air Filter

Originally Posted by bigbadbull' post='555784
Yeah, me too!

Update: I installed my SB yesterday without a hitch. No error codes popped up at all. One thing to consider is to match up the numbers inside the housing of the SB with the numbers inside the housing from the accelerator. You'll see 2 rows of number, from 1 to 6. Just match, plug in, and get ready to lose MPG.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528i, Monaco Blue Metallic, Beige Leather, Premium Package
Unhappy

Originally Posted by owwo' post='557939' date='Apr 8 2008, 09:54 AM
Did you guys get your SB's yet? Any install or engine malfunction problems like the ones described?
I received an email saying it was shipped on the 12th. Getting a little apprehensive about installing it after this thread though.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim/Anthracite Headliner Premium and Sport Package Comfort Access/Navigation/HD Radio/iPod/Logic 7/SAT/PDC Sprintbooster Split Second Turbo Tuner BMC Air Filter

Originally Posted by riffraff' post='561263' date='Apr 14 2008, 01:00 PM
I received an email saying it was shipped on the 12th. Getting a little apprehensive about installing it after this thread though.
If you match up the numbers when you install, you'll have no problem. It makes my '08 535i feel like it's launching off...similar torquey feeling that I get when I take off on my Busa. I know it doesn't add any HP or Torque, but I swear it feels like it does.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530i M Sport Sedan / Silver Grey

Guys,
I just installed my SB, first time around i got the same rough idle and error message as described by others. I checked that i matched up the numbers on the pins and the plugs where fully engaged the second time around and the idle was fine but now i have the check engine light on the diplay but no service error messsae in I-drive.
Do i have to take it to the dealer to reset or should i take the SB off and see if it rights itself? If i have to go to the dealer what do i tell them, i dont want them hunting around for problems that aren't there and charging me for it?
Old 04-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Senior Members

OK so i took the SB off and the check engine light went away.
I reinstalled the SB and again but got the spluttering idle again so i swithch it off for further investigation.
On the end that plugs into the pedal there is numbers on both the female and male conneectors, i checked that they all lined up correctly. On the other end there is number on the female connector but not the male connector on the SB. I turned the S/B the other way around and plugged it in and statered her up agan.....hey presto the idle was fine and the engine check light is no longer on.
So my deduction is that (in my case anyway) the end that plugs in to the wire coming out of the carpert should be connected a particular way up even thought it is possibe to engage it by rotating it 180 degrees. The male connector on the S/B should have numbers on the male connectors so it can be lined up with the female connector coming out of the carpet.
If other members are having the same problem i did please try what i have suggested as this may rectify your problem, it did in my case.
I have only drive to the office in traffic so far with the S/B on but i have noticed that the accelaertation is more sensative, i think i may need to reset the transmission because the gear changes seemed a little off, or maybe i just need to drive abit more and the trans will "learn" how to change with the S/B fitted.

Originally Posted by MatyB' post='561657' date='Apr 15 2008, 02:22 PM
Guys,
I just installed my SB, first time around i got the same rough idle and error message as described by others. I checked that i matched up the numbers on the pins and the plugs where fully engaged the second time around and the idle was fine but now i have the check engine light on the diplay but no service error messsae in I-drive.
Do i have to take it to the dealer to reset or should i take the SB off and see if it rights itself? If i have to go to the dealer what do i tell them, i dont want them hunting around for problems that aren't there and charging me for it?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MatyB' post='562129' date='Apr 15 2008, 04:15 PM
OK so i took the SB off and the check engine light went away.
I reinstalled the SB and again but got the spluttering idle again so i swithch it off for further investigation.
On the end that plugs into the pedal there is numbers on both the female and male conneectors, i checked that they all lined up correctly. On the other end there is number on the female connector but not the male connector on the SB. I turned the S/B the other way around and plugged it in and statered her up agan.....hey presto the idle was fine and the engine check light is no longer on.
So my deduction is that (in my case anyway) the end that plugs in to the wire coming out of the carpert should be connected a particular way up even thought it is possibe to engage it by rotating it 180 degrees. The male connector on the S/B should have numbers on the male connectors so it can be lined up with the female connector coming out of the carpet.
If other members are having the same problem i did please try what i have suggested as this may rectify your problem, it did in my case.
I have only drive to the office in traffic so far with the S/B on but i have noticed that the accelaertation is more sensative, i think i may need to reset the transmission because the gear changes seemed a little off, or maybe i just need to drive abit more and the trans will "learn" how to change with the S/B fitted.
Hmm, I must stand corrected in the other thread. I thought the plug would not allow this due to the flat side and I even tried today to plug it in backwards (without any real force, of course). I thought I tried all possible incorrect scenerios.

Did it at least seem to go together more naturally when you rotated it. I could see it going together incorrectly but with some force and more or less stretching the socket on the plug to get it in there or maybe our factory plugs vary a little. I more or less match the curved side with the curved side albeit they are not identical curves. There is a definate flat side on both plugs.

Good to hear that someone tried to re-install it differently before returning it so that the rest of us know there is no 'real' concern here to be worried about even if ours appear to be working fine...

Thanks for doing that and posting your results...
Old 04-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Glock-357' post='562265' date='Apr 16 2008, 02:29 PM
Hmm, I must stand corrected in the other thread. I thought the plug would not allow this due to the flat side and I even tried today to plug it in backwards (without any real force, of course). I thought I tried all possible incorrect scenerios.

Did it at least seem to go together more naturally when you rotated it. I could see it going together incorrectly but with some force and more or less stretching the socket on the plug to get it in there or maybe our factory plugs vary a little. I more or less match the curved side with the curved side albeit they are not identical curves. There is a definate flat side on both plugs.

Good to hear that someone tried to re-install it differently before returning it so that the rest of us know there is no 'real' concern here to be worried about even if ours appear to be working fine...

It seems to fit in either way without any force at all, when i looked at it i couldnt't make out the differance you are refering to but maybe i need to take a close look. It seems odd that they haven't marked the SB for ease of installation or at least provide some more clear instructions with the product.
On another subject has anyone come up with neat way of hiding the S/B, i can seem to hide the red cable behind the pedal because it is some damn long, in relative termss of coarse?
Old 04-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Glock-357' post='562265' date='Apr 15 2008, 11:59 PM

I echo glock-357's comments on the orientation of the plug. I too noticed that when I tried to plug it in incorrectly the other way, it wouldn't plug in. Once I rotated it the correct way, it slid in like butta.

Off topic, glock-357 do you own the glock .357 G31 or G32?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Senior Members

[/quote]

This is a car forum not a gun forum
Old 04-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by owwo' post='562666' date='Apr 16 2008, 03:18 PM
I echo glock-357's comments on the orientation of the plug. I too noticed that when I tried to plug it in incorrectly the other way, it wouldn't plug in. Once I rotated it the correct way, it slid in like butta.

Sent PM as to not diturb any off-topic nazis. BTW, my screen name on m5board is Glock 32 (which is the medium sized model, luv it).

Quick Reply: ENGINE MALFUNCTION, REDUCED POWER - Error message