E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine design, rev limiter, free revving..

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to ED a 530iA soon. This will be my first BMW. I have a set of questions

1) BMW Engine/transmission design really intrigues me and I want to know a lot more about it. Please point me to some good sources (preferably meant for dummies so that content is easy to understand) where I can find detailed information on topics like direct injection, forced induction, engine management maps, automatic transmission science, turbo charging, super charging, torque vs HP concerns etc. The information on bmwusa.com and bmwworld.com are good starting points which I have already read and I want to know more.

2) It is said that BMW I6 engines are free revving. In my test drives I have felt what it means, you just floor and the engine revs without hesistation. But what causes an engine to be free revving? Why isn't some other engine like a Ford free revving?

3) What is the rev limit on a 530iA? Is it dependent on the gear you are in?

4) In Steptronic with manual mode, why doesn't the engine just upshift when you have hit the rev limit?

5) How much is the breakin RPM on a 530iA? I have heard some people say 4K while others have said 5.5K. What is the maximum speed you can attain at such RPMs? I am thinking of reaching close to that speed on the autobahn during ED.

6) What needs to be 'broken-in' in an engine? Engine is mostly metal and oil, so it should be set to perform to the fullest from day 1? Am I missing something basic here?
Old 05-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Members

4 manual is now like manual...period, except theres no clutch ect....so i "should perform" like one... you still got a torque converter tho....

5. maximum for my likings is 3600rpm to 4000 rpm, aim for 3.6k cause by the time you know it your at 5k swearing at yourself. that extra 400rpms gives you time to react........maximum speed at 6th gear @ 4k should be ~90mph.....or 85mph

6. breakin is the adjusting of the seals (rummber, metal) and the working in of the bearings. the cylinder walls will "smooth" and adjust to the slight oval-ness of the cylinders and their seals. running and engine at like 6500rpms at like 50 miles (odometer) is not the smartest thing to do.......

well 2, im gonna take a stab at it....

2.: free revving, .... *light* crankshft and pushrods, valves are made to astronomical standard (dimensions) you got dual vanos, four valves PER CYLINDER !!!! what else...you have valve tronic and stepless throttle by wire throttle. Intake manifolds and exhaust manifolds hold scientifically acuately backpressures and vaccumes. Well designed colling systems...cranks ect. Compression ratios are spot on. You got like the most advanced (dont include enzo or bugatti veyron or f430) ecu's and predetermined algorithms for the weather and huidity levels.

just stuff like that

you are diving an advanced machine....you're not talking about the 530desiel right? cause that only revs to like 4500rpm..... But, i think the 530ia revs to...... lemme c..6800rpms i THINK might br 7000 now, but i dont know...i know its above 6500rpm (or the same)

glad to help,

-jason
Old 05-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by jlcool007' post='285876' date='May 21 2006, 04:54 PM
4 manual is now like manual...period, except theres no clutch ect....so i "should perform" like one... you still got a torque converter tho....

5. maximum for my likings is 3600rpm to 4000 rpm, aim for 3.6k cause by the time you know it your at 5k swearing at yourself. that extra 400rpms gives you time to react........maximum speed at 6th gear @ 4k should be ~90mph.....or 85mph

6. breakin is the adjusting of the seals (rummber, metal) and the working in of the bearings. the cylinder walls will "smooth" and adjust to the slight oval-ness of the cylinders and their seals. running and engine at like 6500rpms at like 50 miles (odometer) is not the smartest thing to do.......

well 2, im gonna take a stab at it....

2.: free revving, .... *light* crankshft and pushrods, valves are made to astronomical standard (dimensions) you got dual vanos, four valves PER CYLINDER !!!! what else...you have valve tronic and stepless throttle by wire throttle. Intake manifolds and exhaust manifolds hold scientifically acuately backpressures and vaccumes. Well designed colling systems...cranks ect. Compression ratios are spot on. You got like the most advanced (dont include enzo or bugatti veyron or f430) ecu's and predetermined algorithms for the weather and huidity levels.

just stuff like that

you are diving an advanced machine....you're not talking about the 530desiel right? cause that only revs to like 4500rpm..... But, i think the 530ia revs to...... lemme c..6800rpms i THINK might br 7000 now, but i dont know...i know its above 6500rpm (or the same)

glad to help,

-jason

4. NO. the steptronic will upshift even in manual mode. SMG wont. Step wil.

5. I think its 4500rpms.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by suraj' post='285746
5) How much is the breakin RPM on a 530iA? I have heard some people say 4K while others have said 5.5K. What is the maximum speed you can attain at such RPMs? I am thinking of reaching close to that speed on the autobahn during ED.
When you do ED you can go as fast as you want on the autobahn. Ask Bernard or whoever gives you your car, about the break-in procedure for going above 100mph.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

Simple explanation of engine types including the straight (or inline) 6 here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight-6

also valvetronic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valvetronic

and double vanos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VANOS

zf transmissions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:ZF_transmissions

And anything else you want to search for