E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine break in. Is there another way? YES it is!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 12:44 PM
JDN
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information, Knubblo, but not thanks. Good luck to you.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi ED 7/1/2005. Silver Grey, Black Leather, Premium Package, Cold Weather, Sport, Logic 7, 18'' style 123 rims.

The hard break-in sounds like a good idea to do on a car I have a 2-3 year lease on, but on a potential 10+ year car, I think I will take my chances with the BMW recommendations.

Thanks for sharing though...interesting food for thought!
Old 06-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Mercy' date='Jun 10 2005, 01:07 PM
Just OPEN your eyes a little and you will see a hidden agenda behind all sold products.
[snapback]138312[/snapback]
Uh, what exactly was being sold? Near as I can tell, it was just information and the following of it is your call. Just OPEN your eyes a little and read a bit more....
Old 06-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Jun 10 2005, 03:56 PM
Admonishments to vary speeds coincide with current manufacturer's recommendations.
[snapback]138298[/snapback]
Wow. Elegantly stated, indeed. I stand admonished!
Old 06-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ive read that article before... its been like the ONLY article that i've ever seen that supports that theory... If you are leasing the car I say do it that way... if you plan on keeping your car for >3 years do it the BMW Manual way.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2014 535d M-Sport, sold 2006 530i Olivine Green, Beige Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation System

Originally Posted by Knubblo' date='Jun 10 2005, 02:22 PM
I am NOT trying to TELL ANYONE what is right and what is not. However, since I have had quite a few motorcycles and cars I think I am entitled to give my opinion on this matter. So please do not spam the hell out of me, ok!? What you choose to do and/or believe is not my business. I am just posting this as information.

My last motorcycle (Suzuki GSX-R1000K2) was broken in according to this "religion" and it runs better than an identical Gixxer owned by one of my friends. Recently I just bought a waterscooter (Seadoo 4-Tec 185 hp) which was "done" in the same fashion and it runs greater than the stock version I compared it to at the dealer. My current car runs great(er) as well.

For whatever reason the article gives good reading anyway. Check out the pics of pistons etc. in the bottom of the page before you skip the page. Happy reading...

P.S. Do I need to say that I will do my soon to come 530xi the same way.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

/Knubblo
[snapback]138288[/snapback]
Interesting. Unfortunately I am not rich enough to try this experiment on my car, but please feel free to experiment on yours and respond back to the group on how it works out.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Knubblo' date='Jun 10 2005, 01:58 PM
Don't you think that if it was possible to significantly improve performance and gas mileage with a '20 mile break in', then at least some of the automobile manufacturers would be doing this as part of their manufacturing process? The other question I would have is why haven't any of the real experts, the engineers who design these incredible engines, supported this method of break-in?

The world is full of get rich quick schemes, and ways to produce results with little or no effort. This is surely one of them. I'll pay attention to the recommendations of the brilliant engineers that designed this engine thank you.
[snapback]138293[/snapback]
I am absolutely fascinated of the fact that you had to go after me even though I explictly stated that I posted this as "information only" and that it is none of my business what you do with it?

Nevertheless, if you choose to believe something else that is of course your prerogative.
But just let me ask another question touching the same principle of yours, namely that no one can know better than the originator. Why is it that no car manufacturer explains that you should have your AC on all year no matter the weather? Surely you know what happens if you turn off your AC during wintertime? No, ok the pump servo which rotates the cooling liquid is actually lubricated and sealed with that exact same liquid. So turning it off for short periods like a couple of days / weeks is no problem but if you do it during several months the sealing can (and often do) start to leak with the result of you having to visit the dealer to find the leak, seal it and refill the AC cooling liquid. It is not for free.

/Knubblo
[snapback]138301[/snapback]
[/quote]

I didn't mean to offend you, or imply that you supported this method. I was really asking a rhetorical question.

I was just expressing my opinion regarding this "method" that really has no scientific or engineering basis, or any data to support it. Don't you think that at least one well-known engineer who had experience in designing engines might support this method if it had any value?

Being an engineer, with some experience in the automobile industry, I can tell you that if there were a simple procedure for breaking in engines in as little as 20 miles, that resulted in significant increases in performance and gas mileage, virtually every automobile manufacturer would incorporate this 'break-in' as part of their engine manufacturing process. As far as I know, there are no automobile manufacturers that run their engines on the production line in this manner.

As another gut-check point, look at any long-term test in any automobile magazine. Every review I've ever read has the performance and gas mileage increasing slightly after several thousand miles. If you think about it, the car magazines do exactly the type of break-in this guy is recommending. So why does it take several thousand miles for the performance improvements to show up?

(Again, these are rhetorical questions, not directed at you.)
Old 06-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by ?gent99' date='Jun 10 2005, 04:32 PM
[quote name='Mercy' date='Jun 10 2005, 01:07 PM']Just OPEN your eyes a little and you will see a hidden agenda behind all sold products.
[snapback]138312[/snapback]
Uh, what exactly was being sold? Near as I can tell, it was just information and the following of it is your call. Just OPEN your eyes a little and read a bit more....
[snapback]138380[/snapback]
[/quote]

What is being sold is MotoMan's crappy little performance magazine...