E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine break in. Is there another way? YES it is!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am NOT trying to TELL ANYONE what is right and what is not. However, since I have had quite a few motorcycles and cars I think I am entitled to give my opinion on this matter. So please do not spam the hell out of me, ok!? What you choose to do and/or believe is not my business. I am just posting this as information.

My last motorcycle (Suzuki GSX-R1000K2) was broken in according to this "religion" and it runs better than an identical Gixxer owned by one of my friends. Recently I just bought a waterscooter (Seadoo 4-Tec 185 hp) which was "done" in the same fashion and it runs greater than the stock version I compared it to at the dealer. My current car runs great(er) as well.

For whatever reason the article gives good reading anyway. Check out the pics of pistons etc. in the bottom of the page before you skip the page. Happy reading...

P.S. Do I need to say that I will do my soon to come 530xi the same way.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

/Knubblo
Old 06-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Knubblo' date='Jun 10 2005, 01:22 PM
I am NOT trying to TELL ANYONE what is right and what is not. However, since I have had quite a few motorcycles and cars I think I am entitled to give my opinion on this matter. So please do not spam the hell out of me, ok!? What you choose to do and/or believe is not my business. I am just posting this as information.

My last motorcycle (Suzuki GSX-R1000K2) was broken in according to this "religion" and it runs better than an identical Gixxer owned by one of my friends. Recently I just bought a waterscooter (Seadoo 4-Tec 185 hp) which was "done" in the same fashion and it runs greater than the stock version I compared it to at the dealer. My current car runs great(er) as well.

For whatever reason the article gives good reading anyway. Check out the pics of pistons etc. in the bottom of the page before you skip the page. Happy reading...

[snapback]138288[/snapback]
Don't you think that if it was possible to significantly improve performance and gas mileage with a '20 mile break in', then at least some of the automobile manufacturers would be doing this as part of their manufacturing process? The other question I would have is why haven't any of the real experts, the engineers who design these incredible engines, supported this method of break-in?

The world is full of get rich quick schemes, and ways to produce results with little or no effort. This is surely one of them. I'll pay attention to the recommendations of the brilliant engineers that designed this engine thank you.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Originally Posted by Knubblo' date='Jun 10 2005, 11:22 AM

/Knubblo
Sounds like fun! Does anyone have a counter argument?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Knubblo' date='Jun 10 2005, 02:22 PM

/Knubblo

Yeah, seating the rings is the biggest concern. A lot has been written about not changing BMW oil too soon to allow for this to happen. I'm not a mechanic, so I can't verify if what this guy says is true or not, or if it holds true for all engine designs, compression ratios, ring and cylinder materials, etc...

Also, I find it hard to believe that scraping microscopic imperfections off the ring is somehow going to make the seated ring so small (which is still far thicker than anything being scraped off) from creating a good seal.

I've known people who have redlined and flogged engines on the first day with no subequent ill effects. Do what you like, but I'd imagine BMW's engineers are more than capable of making the proper recommendation. Also, remember that they designed the break-in around the engine having synthetic oil in it. The same procedures cannot apply.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Jun 10 2005, 11:45 AM
[quote name='Knubblo' date='Jun 10 2005, 01:22 PM']I am NOT trying to TELL ANYONE what is right and what is not. However, since I have had quite a few motorcycles and cars I think I am entitled to give my opinion on this matter. So please do not spam the hell out of me, ok!? What you choose to do and/or believe is not my business. I am just posting this as information.

Don't you think that if it was possible to significantly improve performance and gas mileage with a '20 mile break in', then at least some of the automobile manufacturers would be doing this as part of their manufacturing process? The other question I would have is why haven't any of the real experts, the engineers who design these incredible engines, supported this method of break-in?

The world is full of get rich quick schemes, and ways to produce results with little or no effort. This is surely one of them. I'll pay attention to the recommendations of the brilliant engineers that designed this engine thank you.
[snapback]138293[/snapback]
[/quote]

I am no expert on this topic, however, the last two cars I've purchased, the dealers said to go ahead the push the engine- no break in period was recommended, in fact, they said the worst thing you could do is drive the car at a constant speed during the first 1,000 miles--- they suggested accelerating and deccelerating frequently and avoiding long highway stretches. These were Acura (TL) and Nissan (Maxima) dealers
Old 06-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Admonishments to vary speeds coincide with current manufacturer's recommendations.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Members

[snapback]138293[/snapback]
[/quote]

I am absolutely fascinated of the fact that you had to go after me even though I explictly stated that I posted this as "information only" and that it is none of my business what you do with it?

Nevertheless, if you choose to believe something else that is of course your prerogative.
But just let me ask another question touching the same principle of yours, namely that no one can know better than the originator. Why is it that no car manufacturer explains that you should have your AC on all year no matter the weather? Surely you know what happens if you turn off your AC during wintertime? No, ok the pump servo which rotates the cooling liquid is actually lubricated and sealed with that exact same liquid. So turning it off for short periods like a couple of days / weeks is no problem but if you do it during several months the sealing can (and often do) start to leak with the result of you having to visit the dealer to find the leak, seal it and refill the AC cooling liquid. It is not for free.

/Knubblo
Old 06-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

1) I can see why manufactures would recommend against hard break-ins "liability" (Injuries or death)

2) Improper break-in, not following the exact directions can cause more damage then slow recommended break-in. It might be true, when I was younger I did not break my cars in slow and for reason unknown to me at the time the cars ran better then others who had the same identical car.

It's tough to make a call like that when you're talking about a 50K+ machine.

Just remember "big Corp" does not care about your you or your assets just $$$$.

Just OPEN your eyes a little and you will see a hidden agenda behind all sold products.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Members

i was told to do a 1300 mile break-in. i am on mile 225 and IT IS KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!

this is just as much torture as waiting for delivery
Old 06-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

This topic has been beaten to death on every car board I know. Sort of like how often should you change your oil (interestingly, this guy says after the first 20 miles).

One of the reasons BMW (and Mercedes, Porsche...) have break in periods is for the engine, but it's also for the rest of the drive train. And, yes, you also need to vary engine speed & load during the break in.

I've always followed the break in recommendations...but not the oil change interval.

Quick Reply: Engine break in. Is there another way? YES it is!