E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Electronic black hole surrounding my car

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 04:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I have a 2005 545, no tint, I have a V1 on top of the rear view mirror on the passenger's side, as close to the headliner as possible. It just came back from V1 to be tuned and checked. It picks up radar to the rear and sides just fine, but I get almost no range to the front.

It appears I have some kind of coating on the windshield, as there is a line in the approximate shape of the rear-view mirror, right at the top, center of the windshield.

I do not have HUD, no tint. I ran this same setup in another 2005 545, and my wife's X5, with no problems,

now, for the fun.

I also have EZ pass, which is a toll transponder. when I used the one on the windshield it didn't work, although, again, in another identically equipped car, it did just fine. So, I mounted a tag-mounted ezpass, which I have used on other cars, and it works great. 60-70% of the time, I get an error that my tag is invalid. I ordered a new tag from EZ pass, and am having the same result.

So, I can understand if this car has some kind of coating on the windshield that the other car didn't, but neither car had adaptive cruise control, and I never use CC anyway, so it is always off....what could be causing the ez pass to not function, it is mounted outside the car, on the front license plate, as designed, and it is brand new.

-Lewis
Old 01-24-2009, 04:57 AM
ADD
Senior Members

Those EZ Pass plate mounted ones suck. I've heard more people complain about those. The slightest bump by road debris or salt or whatever and the thing goes haywire.

I've never had a problem with my regular EZ pass (e60 or e39), I don't even mount it to the windshield. I just leave it at the bottom of the windshield in the driver's side corner of the dash, behind our inspection and reg. stickers.

I also have V1 mounted on driver's side of the mirror tight to the headliner. No problems. Pick up stationary threats almost a mile ahead.

You must have some other problem going on. Ever had the windshield replaced? Used any strange window cleaner?
Old 01-24-2009, 05:20 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

I have my ezpass transponder mounted to the right of the large sensor on the windshield. Never a problem with tolls getting read. On my previous 7 series, equipped with the special windshield to reduce interior heat, there were areas on the windshield specifically for use of RF/IR devices that would have their signals blocked by the windshield treatment.

You can do a google Internet search to learn more about those windshields - it's those situations that external tags are recommended. I don't believe e60 have that option available.

As for my ezpass - no problems at all - I don't use a radar detector and can't comment.

It is possible your ezpass tag needed to be replaced - after about 4-5 years their batteries crap out.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

My V1 is mounted on the passenger's visor and I just put my E-Pass on the driver's side dash when going through the tolls -- no problems here.

Maybe you need to "De-Cloak" before entering the highway?
Old 01-24-2009, 05:48 AM
Contributors

i dont know why people insist on putting radar detectors above the rear view. if it works, it will not work well... anyhow, i have an EZ pass and a sun pass. I havent used the EZ pass in the bmw yet, but the sunpass i have centered below the rear view because it wont work any higher. funny thing is, for about 2 weeks i had it mounted higher and it is as if the receptors were sensing something there because i never got the lights going through a tool both for violating, however i didnt pay a toll for those 2 weeks.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

You should read some of the FAQ's at the V1 web sight , it could help you out...

here is a hint Window tint, and most euro made cars have additives in the glass to help with heating and cooling , like metal filings since they conduct/ block heat transfer...

They also block radio waves and Radar waves... So usually in the band at the top of your windshield there is alot of this type of glass which reduces the effective range that you radar detector picks things up. The Audi a6-a8 q7, and MB across the board are notorious for them. It helps keep the temps down in the summer, and with defrosting in the winter. Mount both lower on the windshield you will be good to go...
Old 01-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

Don't know if this helps, but I have a sunpass mini here in FLA. It is essentially a 2"x2" sticker with paper thin electronics sandwiched in the middle. It uses the windshield as an antenna. The instructions on the package mentioned "special mounting" for BMW, Mercedes, and a few other vehicles. I phoned sunpass before mounting. They did not have specific mounting instructions for my '04 545 so I was instructed to use the "standard BMW" mount position which was... close to the driver's windshield column and 2 inches below the factory windshield tint. It has worked perfect every time. I do not have a radar detector but I have been seriously considering V1, so I am interested to see how this works out. Has anyone else with V1 experienced this.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Members

I moved the radar detector down, basically directly in front of the rear view mirror, clearly below the tint band and will report back my findings.

still want to know why 2 externally mounted ez passes don't work very often in this car, but are fine otherwise.

Lewis
Old 01-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Members

alright, I found a nearby speed warning drone, on a quiet street. No warning until I was right on top on the radar source, with the detector under the rearview mirror. So, I parked 100 feet away. Once it detected the source, I would get side arrows anywhere I placed the detector in the field of the windshield, far left, far right, when I got within the bottom 8-12" of the windshield, I would get limited detection using front arrows.

This will sound nuts, but I was able to wedge the V1 at the very top, center of the windshield, wedges between the rear view mirror and the headliner, with the detector at about a 30 degree angle to the ground. I know it should be level, but it doesn't fit.

In the right light, you can see an area in the center of the windshield that doesn't have the reflective surface as the rest of the top of the windshield. It is only maybe 2-3" down from teh top, not enough for the required height to include the suction cups plus the detector.

So, for now, I will be running the V1 at a 30 degree angle, and see how it performs.

Lewis
Old 01-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG

hmmm... that's weird.
I too have an 05 545i but I have no problem with V1. I just went out and mounted my V1 at 5 different places on the windshield
but everywhere worked same. My v1 detects its signals just like V1 suppose to be.
I have HUD and never replaced the fornt windshield.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm...