E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical problem, any ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 bmw 545i sport, steptronic, grey, with grey interior.

Hello everyone, I would first like to say thanks for any imput that you have. I have a 2004 545i and here recently I was driving down the interstate and the i-drive started to blink. Then after this I was right around the corner from my house, so I pulled in the driveway and turned my car off. Then I started it and everything was fine. The next time it happened I killed the car to try to restart it to fix the problem again, this did not work. The car was dead. I had to get a jump. The car worked fine after that for a couple of days. But i did not drive it a whole bunch. It happened again so I got another jump and made it home. Well something is draining my battery. Now every time I get home I have to charge my battery. But no matter how long I charge my battery the little green light never comes on on the battery. Also The first time I charged my battery overnight it was full in the morning, the next time I did this I had to unhook the negative cable? I have no Idea what is going on. The car seem to run fine when there is a little of a charge. I thought that the alternator would self contain the car while it was running despite what charge the battery has? But when this all happens my computer goes haywire, it flashes CAR GOING TO ROLL OVER, STERING MALFUNCTION,
HIGH EMISSIONS, then the dash i-drive starts blinking. Any ideas?

-Donald

Thanks
Old 11-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Members

Is this the original battery?

My car was acting weird, I-drive would blink at start up. When starting, it the car would chug chug chug before starting. Finally, it died in my driveway. I jumped it and brought it to the dealer. I also had intermittent I-drive messages like Dynamic Drive Failure, Battery Low, Electrical Sytem Fault. The dealer found that the battery wouldn't hold a charge (duh!)... My car was built 3/04. They replaced it under warranty.

I'd suggest taking it in for a battery if it's under warranty, or just replacing it yourself.

Good luck.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 5.30i Saphire Black on Auburn, Sports Pckg, Premium Pckg, Sound Pckg, HUD, Cold Weather Pckg, Heated Rear Seats, Electronic Rear Window Shade, Foldable Rear Seats with Ski Bag, European Reflectors, Active Steering, PDC, 19" AC Schnitzer Type II, Front: 245/35, Rear: 275/30 Toyo T1S, H&R Sports Springs, 35% Tinted Windows, B&B exhaust w/ custom straight pipe

it might not be the battery. it happened to me before. the positive cable was bad, so they had to take apart my car cuz it runs through the whole car, and the replaced it. have the dealer check it out if that's a possibility, cuz the electronics on my car were really messed up, like the dynamic drive systems were off, active steering malfunction, even the seat belt tension sensor was not working all because of the positive cable being bad
Old 11-11-2007, 12:13 PM
zen
Members

Probably a bad battery. If your battery is bad or discharged, the alternator will not charge the battery because there is no residual voltage to produce magnetism and allow the alternator to produce any power. This is true of any auto with an alternator.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Members

i had various errors came out my i drive and dealership found out my battery needs to be changed. They replaced it under warranty and never had any problems since. It could be the battery.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 bmw 545i sport, steptronic, grey, with grey interior.

I bought a new battery and this worked perfectly. The battery cost a lot 270.00 dollars, man that hurt... Thanks for the help guys...
Old 01-14-2008, 05:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dwatkins111' post='492454' date='Nov 9 2007, 10:59 PM
Hello everyone, I would first like to say thanks for any imput that you have. I have a 2004 545i and here recently I was driving down the interstate and the i-drive started to blink. Then after this I was right around the corner from my house, so I pulled in the driveway and turned my car off. Then I started it and everything was fine. The next time it happened I killed the car to try to restart it to fix the problem again, this did not work. The car was dead. I had to get a jump. The car worked fine after that for a couple of days. But i did not drive it a whole bunch. It happened again so I got another jump and made it home. Well something is draining my battery. Now every time I get home I have to charge my battery. But no matter how long I charge my battery the little green light never comes on on the battery. Also The first time I charged my battery overnight it was full in the morning, the next time I did this I had to unhook the negative cable? I have no Idea what is going on. The car seem to run fine when there is a little of a charge. I thought that the alternator would self contain the car while it was running despite what charge the battery has? But when this all happens my computer goes haywire, it flashes CAR GOING TO ROLL OVER, STERING MALFUNCTION,
HIGH EMISSIONS, then the dash i-drive starts blinking. Any ideas?

-Donald

Thanks

Hello everyone!!!! new to this forum..

I have the exact same problem as you did and i am wondering if after you changed the battery this problem has never came up again. The dealer never seems to have a clue of what going on. All they do is reprogram the car and fix nothing. Please advise. if the battery fixed your problem it just might fix mine.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Platinum Silver Metallic Gray Dakota Leather, Premium Pack, Premium Sound, Logic 7, Sport Pack, Navi, PDC, Sunshades, Cold Weather and HUD. 56k miles Feb. 2011

My ride is a CPO. Only got 17,500 miles when I bought it in 09/07. Got a battery level low warning message when listening to the radio ( engine not running ). Took the car to the dealer. SA told me the car was not being driven enough to get the battery charge properly. A battery usually lasts 4-5 years. The dealer changed the battery under warranty. Have the dealer change the battery if your car is still under warranty or change it yourself.